Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoted this martini 12/15 on simpsons last week for a reasonable price. I have a nice new stock for one and a 1/2 oct. 1/2 rd barrel that could be fitted ot it to make a nice 'sporter'. I received the rifle in good time (27 hrs. from order out to fedex in). but it just too nice to tear apart, after a quickie stock refinish and new butt plate this is what it looks like.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

it even shoots well

·
Registered
637 Posts
" I find that I can often shoot just as good, "..............don't I wish. It seams with age, everything is getting farther away and out of focus. with me it's glass or nothing.
Same here. I have a moderate level of astigmatism which means that if I wanted to use irons I'd have to wear trifocals or progressives and look like a Bobblehead moving my head up and down rapidly while trying to align the front and rear sights with target, and I simply refuse.

Thankfully, with an optic (traditional scope, dot, or reflex optic) I can see both target and reticle clearly...a complete win-win for me!

BTW, nice looking 12/15! I've been considering those models as well as other BSA Martini models for some time now. I peruse Simpson, LTD quite often, and there's a good chance that I looked at and considered that very same rifle :)

I hope you get much enjoyment out of it!

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Same here. I have a moderate level of astigmatism which means that if I wanted to use irons I'd have to wear trifocals or progressives.
Is that the only way? What about a single lens, ground with your cylindrical correction* attached to the rearsight? Plenty of pronecand position shooters do this. And the lens is squarer and better centred to the sightline.

*and +.5 on the distance for a more comfortable focal length.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
BTW, nice looking 12/15! I've been considering those models as well as other BSA Martini models for some time now. I peruse Simpson, LTD quite often, and there's a good chance that I looked at and considered that very same rifle :)

I hope you get much enjoyment out of it!
Nit picking time

That's a Model 15 with the rear aperture integral with the receiver, not a 12/15, which came later and had a separate, removable rear aperture sight.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Is that the only way? What about a single lens, ground with your cylindrical correction* attached to the rearsight? Plenty of pronecand position shooters do this. And the lens is squarer and better centred to the sightline.

*and +.5 on the distance for a more comfortable focal length.
That's some interesting information, thank you! But since I'm just an older RA inflicted backyard casual target shooter at best (LOL), for me, the simplest and most affective way around my vision/sighting issues encountered during either target shooting, plinking, or while carrying concealed, has been an optic of some type.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Nit picking time

That's a Model 15 with the rear aperture integral with the receiver, not a 12/15, which came later and had a separate, removable rear aperture sight.
This is one of the reasons I visit this place! I'm battin' a thousand lately, so perhaps I should either talk less, or talk about things I know more about :confused:

Thanks everyone for the edumication.

(LOL)

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
This is one of the reasons I visit this place! I'm battin' a thousand lately, so perhaps I should either talk less, or talk about things I know more about :confused:

Thanks everyone for the edumication.

(LOL)
No big deal, just my OCD when it comes to martinis . . . . . or Mauser 22s . . . . . . . or Ruger No. Ones . . . . . . . .or :rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"That's a Model 15 with the rear aperture integral with the receiver, not a 12/15 "...........well it was 'sold' as a 12/15 and that's what is entered in my books. I 'thought' the 12 was the old without the intregal dove tail like this one...........but I'm certainly no 'expert' on them and willing to learn ;)
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
"That's a Model 15 with the rear aperture integral with the receiver, not a 12/15 "...........well it was 'sold' as a 12/15 and that's what is entered in my books. I 'thought' the 12 was the old without the intregal dove tail like this one...........but I'm certainly no 'expert' on them and willing to learn ;)
View attachment 331814
First came the 12, the 15, then the 12/15. They were followed by the heavy true target Internationals.
That is a Model 12 pictured above. It has a rear barrel sight in addition to the fold-down removable aperture sight. It is also distinguished by the front sling eye attached to the barrel, a straight grip and smaller buttstock, more like it's model predecessors.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
First came the 12, the 15, then the 12/15. They were followed by the heavy true target Internationals.
That is a Model 12 pictured above. It has a rear barrel sight in addition to the fold-down removable aperture sight. It is also distinguished by the front sling eye attached to the barrel, a straight grip and smaller buttstock, more like it's model predecessors.
I never liked the 15 I much prefer the 12 and the 12/15 I also had the MK III in left hand they all shot extremely well
alas I no longer have any .I still have a new aperture rear sight for the 12 somewhere in my parts bin.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I like them all! :D
They shoot amazingly well, especially in original form with their aperture sights.
I currently have six rimfire martinis of various ages (including a German HWZ21) and a customized cadet in 218 Bee.

I had nice Model 15, but it pretty much duplicated my 12/15 in "accuracy", style, use etc. so I sold it to a state trooper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts