Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a lot of testing today at 50 yards, with no wind. The set up was = Cooper M57M TRP-3 22lr. with a Fudd bloop tuner [tuner was not changed] and a Weaver T36 / and a Rem 40 X with a Jewell 1.5 BR trigger 15X Unertel 2" scope Factory barrel and a glass bedded factory stock with a 3" landing pad fastened on the forend. Hart front rest and rear ear bag. I received 10 boxes from Bob Collins. Eley Black Box and Eley Red box 4 samples of each. 4 0f the 8 boxes were Calfee issue. After each 10 shots [2 groups of 5] a dry patch was used 2x and the next lot# was shot. The end results being that my old UM1 was the clear winner in both rifles. One box of Eley Match EPS [black box] was a close 2nd. [in the Cooper.] They may be OK in some other set ups, except for the 1 box, nothing was under .67 out to out.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Bud-
I never fire less than 15 fouling shots when testing Eley ammo, and the fouling shots are with the ammo being tested. Then if it shoots groups to suit, I shot a target or 2 to see how it works moving the gun around. I went thru dozens of lots to find the ones I have on hand that I feel are capable of shooting 250 scores. Sometimes you get lucky and find something that's amatch right off the start. Without adjusting the tuner it's hard to tell if you tested great ammo or average stuff. But I'm guessing that if the rifle shot UMI well, the tuner is not right for the Eley. UMI was some of the best ammo ever produced--bar none--if the lot#'s were in the right range. They also made some junk. I know, I have some of both :D I guess my point is don't get discouraged, Eley does make some great ammo. A friend of mine shot a new sporter meters world record with some black box a few weeks ago. Some of the stuff my rifle dislikes, another's rifle loves. But, that's the way it goes. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kent; Do you know what lot # of the UM1 that were not up to snuff? I thought it was the last lots that was made. I have a chance to get a case but I do not know the lot #.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.