Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Test gun at 11,850 rounds, absolutely no wear. Fired 1050 rounds today. Remington, golden hollow-points. Four duds, 2 fired when rotated, one wouldn't. Had one failure to fire/extract with another round. Had to tap it out with a dowel. Thought the chamber was dirty but the round had a defective case with a wrinkle in the skin. No other problems with rounds.

Took out the extractor to see if I could add a little metal with my arc welder. Yeah, that worked well, wonder where about 1/2 of the extractor got off to in all that smoke. Installed another stock extractor and the pistol ejected as original. Right into my face. Modified it like the old one and it went to ejecting correctly but after a clip or two it flew out as the pivot pin worked it's way up through the slide and let it loose.

Didn't find the spring. Glad I had extras. I knew that pin was getting a little too easy to install with just a thumb nail. I expanded it with a slim scribe and it's tighter than new now. btw, all the pins were extremely tight in this pistol when new but if you take it apart enough you will loosen them up and might have to expand them.

One other problem, I somehow installed one round backwards in the mag. The good news is it jammed the round preceding it. The gun otherwise performed flawlessly even though I fired away with no cleaning or lubing.

Safe shooting, 1911M

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After firing about 400 thunderbolts sprayed with Hoppes moly yesterday and totally fouling the barrel with lead, gave the test gun a cleaning and fired 525 Remington, 36 gr. HP bulk stuff. Gun performed flawlessly, three rounds needed two hammer-falls to fire, one dud wouldn't fire at all. About the same as the last bulk box if I recall. Ruger won't do any better.

Not bad all in all rounds that is. I take back all I ever said bad about the the P-22. All it needs is for Walther to make a few design changes and it seems to go on and on. No wear yet and nothing broken, 12,775 rounds to date.

Never had the safety walk, it gets no tlc, rides in the door panel, on the floor, in a drawer, in the glove box, never in a case or holster. Still looks pretty much like new. To get one shooting like this seems simple.
1. buy the short barrel, shoots as straight and so much easier to break down,
2. clean everything, mags too of all oil grease.
3. lube the majority of the gun with something like Remington Rem Oil with teflon. blow dry
4. file the hammer tip so it looks like the test gun pictures,
5. lubricate the slide and frame grooves and rails, underside of breech, sear, hammer face, barrel sleeve and spring guide bar with a dry lubricant, I'm using a powder.. moly and teflon mixed. Apply every 500 to 1000 rounds with a q-tip. rub in and dust off.
6. Remove the slide stop mechanism if you don't want any wear here and not keeping count of the rounds lets you know if you are flinching when you get to empty unexpectedly. If you use it release the slide by pulling back before chambering a round.
7. Remove barrel nut and side-plate screws, clean threads and locktite them for good.
8. Round the front edge of the trigger disconnect bar ears.
9. grind or have someone grind off appx .020/.025 from the underside of the rear 1/2" of the breech block to aleve pressure/drag where the hammer rubs. Leave the rear next to the safety bar full thickness so it acts as a ramp for the hammer face, up and over the safety bar.
10. Don't shoot stingers, they'll break you slide possibly, it's not a .45 anyway. Don't shoot Rem Thunderbolts.
11. Take the extractor out, lightly tap on the extractor edge with a hammer to peen it to a hawks beak shape. Take a Dremel or 400 grit carborundum sandpaper and polish the rear of the extractor where it hits the barrel chamber. make it really slide slickly. Stretch the spring slightly to increase pressure on the round. This will cure ejections in the face.

Thats all, not too bad but Walther could have done it all for us in the first place. :mad: have a good one and safe shooting 1911M

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing, Dferris57, takes about an hour to do all this. Would be good to see some other shooters modding their guns to see if they get as good a results.
A local gunsmith looking at the pictures should be able to duplicate all this very quickly and at little cost. I will post some really close up photos of the mods along with dimensions. 1911M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.