Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a Dremel today and worked on the bottom rear of the breech block a little more. Not that I'm having any problems just trying to get it like I want it. Bought 3000 rounds today, Federal champion 40 gr. as usual. When they're gone the gun will be at 10,000 rounds fired.

This breech work has really freed up the slide and after another 500 rounds, no stopping to clean or do anything, the gun and ammo was 500 for 500. Total rounds to date: 7500 It's 10,000 rounds or bust by the weeks end.

The slide is really kickin now, harder than original, Federals feel like Mini Mags. Next question, how will the slide handle this increased (?) inpact as previous hammer drag allowed it to "ease" back toward the rear of the cycle (and hang up in the process). Should be fine as the Factory apparently recommends CCI Mini Mags. They make buffers for these guns? safe shooting 1911M

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'd say this:

The slide is stopped by the bottom of the front of the slide impacting on the little plastic locking piece you pull down to strip the weapon. Its polymer so its going to have some "give," but be aware that I saw a P22 at a gunshow with vertical cracks in the slide from too much impact trauma. Cracked on the right side just down from the ejection port.

I think that guy shot nothing but Stingers and Aquila Super Max out of his gun, if the dealer could be believed. (He had the broken P22 on his table as an aid to selling a pretty nice collection of Ruger Mark III pistols)

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gonzo, I have read of several slides cracking. None of mine ever have and I wouldn't say this is severe recoil by any means. It's just something to consider as reduced hammer pressure on the underside of the breech block is allowing the slide to operate "seemingly" more forcefully.

Of course this is what I'm aiming for to reduce any hang-up problems and it's working.

I still am not satisfied with ejection direction or forcefulness. Am going to talk to S&W this morning and request a couple of more extractors. This seems to be the only problem left. All thread-locked items are staying put.
The mags aren't even sensitive with the slide freely moving and there is no last round slide failing to catch as might have been expected with more forceful movement by the slide.

I really don't shoot those stingers and such. Cost too much for target practice and I don't find they shoot as accurately. I'm going to take you up on your earlier statement about being happy if the P-22 could shoot a 1" group at (7 Meters was it). I believe it can. What is that 25'

Will send photos and measurements of how much material has been removed from the rear of the breach block soon. I also need to try a variety of other ammo to see if the modified gun handles them all well. Believe it will. We'll see. This is a far different gun from when I first purchased it although the modifications are minor. 1911M

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A quick inspection of the buffer/stop area doesn't show any impact marks at all so I expect this is not really a problem with the ammo I'm shooting. Will be shooting some Mini Mags and will have a look after that. 2000 plus rounds have been fired with the breech modified so far. 1911M

·
Registered
297 Posts
Did that

I cleaned up the breach block with the dremel about a week ago. Polished it up good too. I have been having great performance out of it. 1 inch at 25 feet? I did that with a rest, but not free hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.