Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What barrel is preferred by most for silhouette shooting. I am in the process of building a rifle. I have noticed by reading and searching many posts the popularity of Green Mountain barrels. My question is for silhouette shooting do you want a heavy or light barrel. What are the advantages of the aluminum lined barrels, if any?

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
What class?

In general, since silhouette is shot standing, you want the heaviest barrel you can hold up, to steady your hold. In a 10/22, mine is a 21 1/2" .920" Clark. One of our Master class shooters has a bloop tube on the end with weights at the end of the tube, for a good "hang".

Therefore, the light aluminum or plastic sleeved barrels aren't ideal. Their intent ( apart from style points) is to give a stiff, stable barrel in a lighter weight. Shootability and portability are at cross purposes.

Some taper is still required for hunter class. And a weight limit.

Don't waste time doing your own trigger unless you're really strapped. You can spend a lot of hours with stones an still not get what $65 for a PC sear,hammer will get you in a few minutes. And still not even close to the $300 KIDD.

Enjoy!:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.