Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam getting out of longrange shooting ;I found my heart was in small stuff like 22lr. I have a range about 7-10min away,Iam going to join in the spring. But they dont have much organized shooting going on just some shot gun oh so much fun NOT. So Iam going to get some 22lr programs started thier like BR,3 position. I dont know what Iam doing this is a different ball game so I need as much help as I can get from people who know PLEASE. I have a Brno #4 target in exe cond. It looks like a very strong action to work with.I was going to have the barrel cut down 1-2" and rechambered with a match chamber its not a lot of work its going to cost me $100.00 to do not bad.What do you people suggest I do,so I need lots of help in this area action-gun-ammo-rest-and any other pointers you could give a shooter in need THANKS A LOT ::t

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The right answer: Get the guys together and shoot in RFC email matches. It is the best place to start, and you can work your way from there to sanctioned matches if the fancy strikes you. Lots of folks around the country get together at their ranges and shoot these matches together.

As far as equipment, check out the results in the Online Matches forum. You can see what the successful shooters are using, which will be a good guide for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Cutting down a barrel and resetting.

A barrel does not have to be set back, very far to rechamber a barrel in already good condition. A tenth of an inch set back is about all that is required.

A barrel with a shot out lead, is another question entirely.

Bill :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Cutting down a barrel and resetting.

heliflyer said:
A barrel does not have to be set back, very far to rechamber a barrel in already good condition. A tenth of an inch set back is about all that is required.

A barrel with a shot out lead, is another question entirely.

Bill :cool:
thanks for the info

·
Registered
230 Posts
Smelly-Er Stealth Monkey :D

There is a debate on barrel length for the .22 Some follow the longer is better principal. But others are shooting shorter barrels. I believe 16 inch is the magic number. They do this on the basis that the bullet is at its maxium velocity at this point, and more barrell isn't going to help you any.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Time,

I think most target rifles use longer barrels to keep match ammo subsonic. Max velocity is generated in 16-18" of barrel but you don't want subsonic match ammo to break the sound barrier and be buffeted by shock waves. I think Joe Haller made a post to that effect a month or two ago. You may want to look it up.

Ken

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Best length: Who knows? Most accuracy rimfire shooters like longer barrels (24-26"), but I don't think it's necessarily because the bullet is slowed down, though that doesn't hurt none. The thinking is that a longer barrel stabilizes the bullet better (puts it to sleep quicker) so it's less affected by wind or conditions. However, I've seen some mighty fine shooting barrels of around 20 inches, so there's obviously more involved than simply length.

Best twist: Who knows? Faster twists (1:15 or so) seem to do better in still conditions, and also in colder weather. On the other hand, the best BR shooters from around the country have moved to really slow twists in recent years, probably in response to the great success of the Suhl factory barrels on the BR circuit. The Suhl barrels usually have a twist of somewhere around 1:18.5," and are great wind buckers--excelling in moderate to heavy conditions. Dan Lilja is now making lots of 1:18 rimfire barrels (I just got one last week).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.