Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an uncle who recently passed away and my dad has been giving his guns to family members. I got my pick of several and I chose an old Rem Model 514. I grew up hunting so I'm no stranger to guns but I don't know much about specific models. I checked out the date codes and this particular one was made in 1955. But that's about all I know.

Are these good-shooting rifles? I've always wanted a bolt-action .22. I read somewhere that 514's often have extractor problems. I just got it today so I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. It really needs a good cleaning first anyway. The blueing is a thing of the past and the stock has a dime-sized chunk out of the bottom of the grip area. But I like it.

But anyway, how are they overall?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Welcome to RFC eminart !!!.The 514's are good shooting rifles,the Remington barrels of that era were of high quality.The 514 was intended to compete against the most basic single shots of other rifle makers.True,extraction issues do show up,but many are easily corrected.The one I have is also kinda rough ,but is easy to shoot accurately,shotgun hulls at 25 yards are no problem.The sights are good too,the "U" notch rear and silver bead front are old eyes friendly.boley

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.