Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've shot aperture and fiber-optic, but can't figure which one would be better for plinking and hunting. I took the scope off because its heavy and sometimes I'm shooting 15 yds. and sometimes 100 yds.:Blasting_

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Tech Sights vs Fiber Optic

I have a 10/22 that I built for the purpose of lightweight field carry.

I first used a Williams WGRS (aperture sight) with a Ruger extra tall
front sight. The Williams sight has a good sight picture and was easy to
install. It also has a great selection of aperture sizes.

However, the Williams sight is NOT easy to adjust in the field and the rear aperture can be knocked out of alignment. (Remember, field carry.)

I now use Tech-Sights. The sight picture is BETTER. (The bead on a Williams or Ruger front sight can conceal your target at medium to long ranges.) It's easy to adjust the rear and front Tech-Sight in the field.

Another plus for the Tech-SIGHT is it's taller than the Williams sight.
That means I don't have to hug the stock up to my face to see through
the aperture. With the Williams sight, it was difficult to wear "Head Set"
hearing protection because my face (ear) was so low on the stock.

I have only used Fiber Optic front sights on a pellet gun. Personally,
I don't care for them, for field use or targets. They DO make it easy for your eye to pick up the front sight.

As much as I like Tech-Sights, I would limit myself to about 75 yards for
hunting. Your eyes may be better than mine.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Thom T

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I agree, between the two, the Tech Sights would be my choice hands down. I don't care for fiber optic sights either. I tried a fiber optic bead with a standard Williams Foolproof on a Winchester 94. They are easier to find quickly but tend to wash out the target beyond. Way too coarse a sight picture for fine work. I like Tech Sights' T-100 model with the flip up apertures for near perfect 50 and 100yd zeros.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.