Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

TC is up for sale

9939 46
S&W has decided to divest. Maybe someone with enthusiasm and the resources for the brand can take TC in a forward direction.
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

34,874 Posts
Buyer would not even have to get into investment casting. There are custom foundries out there. I worked at one in Northern California for about 3 years that made mostly aerospace parts but had made a fairly large number of very nice 1911 frames.:bthumb:

· Registered
2,001 Posts
HausofArms is looking into ownership. I understand that they might invest along with a couple of other companies that are “TC related” in taking this business over. There are a core lot of businesses that exist based on making parts for TC’s and servicing them.

· Registered
5,943 Posts
AFAIK, nothing sold and the old TC is gone and not likely to return in any recognizable form. Best case, one of the very expensive, low volume builders get the contender and encore name. I got to wonder if there is any patent still pending for either of those? As in why pay for something anyone could clone for free? What is a name worth? And maybe a few gauges for manufacturing?

The possibility is the muzzle loading part of the former company goes into a company like CVA or Traditions. The TC Omega was a highly regarded ML. Obviously it had to be discontinued and replaced with a lesser product. Highly doubtful a new owner would bring that back. In stead, more likely the TC name gets slapped on what ever inline the new owners already make.

Done, over, finis

· Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
An email blast has this update:

SSK-50 UPDATE

We are beyond excited to share this update with you from SSK Firearms regarding the SSK-50!

"I think we are finally at a point of confidence where we can comment on this. I have been hesitant to make any commitments for the last two years as I have learned a long time ago that until you have something sitting on the shelf, you better not make a promise. Currently, we have purchased the tooling and have contracted three separate casting companies to make the frame. Two seem to have the capability and we will have First Articles from one in a week and the other the first week of January. I anticipate production in February and shipments by the end of February. It has been a long, painful, and expensive process. We are committed to the project and resolve to do it right."

Attachments

· Registered
2,001 Posts
I was able to pick up another frame from HausOfArms a few months back. Bought it as a spare just in case I want to build another rifle. I currently have two setup, a .22LR and a .223 Remington.
HausofArms hasn't had any frames and few barrels for a while now. I don't think TC is currently making anything. EAB has almost no inventory either and they're a huge dealer.

· Registered
2,001 Posts
It looks like SSK is getting close to getting their frame on the market. They are showing them at the shot show.
SSK's quality is unbelievably good. I got an SSK 20" heavy contour barrel for my Encore in .358 Win at the end of the summer to use for deer hunting. This gun shoots better than some varmint rifles I've owned in the past. My last three 5-shot groups from it were .4, .4, and .8 inches. I already have two frames, but if they release theirs I'll have one more.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts