Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Taurus Model 980

930 6
I have really appreciated the depth of knowledge out there.
I currently have a MK II target pistol and am interested in getting a revolver for targets-strictly.

On one thread someone mentioned a Taurus Model 980 with a 12 inch barrel. I've tried to find info but it seems limited.

Does anyone have any experience with this. How it compares to a Ruger Super Single Six with the 9 inch barrel?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
The Taurus silhouette revolvers are relativly new. I had the chance to shoot one of the .357's and it was pretty nice. Box stock trigger was a little rough and heavy, but it was still very new and showed promise. At 100 yards that 12 inch sight radius really was nice.

I have seen and handled the .22s at a gunshow but never fired one. Havn't seen one in the local gunshop yet, so information from actual users may be a little scarce.

If I hit the lottery I am definatly getting one to play with! :D
Till then I have a few other things higher on my priority list for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joe and Big Mac,

Thanks for the response. I'm so busy with life that it's difficult for me to make quick responses to your information.

But I did go out and buy the revolver this weekend. It's so cold and snowy up here right now (northern NY) that it seems like it may be awhile before I actually get to try it out. I don't doubt that it will be more than a match for my abilities, which unfortunately isn't saying much, but I do enjoy trying.

Joe can you tell me more about the on line matches?

Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Hello Ngouy:

Information on the E-Mail Matches is in the two "sticky" posts at the top of the "OnLine Matches" forum. These are fun matches. There are no entry fees, but each shooter must buy an NRA scoring gauge and some official USBR targets.

We use most of the USBR rules, but don't have equipment classes by weight or scope power. We use seven performance classes. Master, Expert, SharpShooter, Marksman, Hunter, Plinker, and OrangeBlaster. We climb up through the classes based on a combination of marksmanship skill and the accuracy of our rifle or pistol. No quarter given to the pistols. Some of them are capable of beating up on many rifle shooters.

Read the rules at the top of the forum and then if you have and questions, just ask.

If you decide you want to join us, send me your real name, home town, state and some details about the gun(s) you plan to shoot.

Joe Haller - E- Mail Match Coordinator

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joe,

Thanks for the info, that was helpful.

Tango two if you're still out there, I'm up near Plattsburgh,

I'm not ready for the team thing yet. Time and experience first, but again thanks for considering it.

JR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.