Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide what to do here.
I have just finished going through two .22 handguns deciding I felt the grip was too small for my hand, and neither one could take an after market grip.
Don't want to go through that again.

With the model 94, in a 4 or 5" barrel, it looks to me in pics I have seen, that the grips are definitely bigger, and beefier than the short 2 inch snubbie version.

So, for those with a 4 or 5" do you feel the grips are fairly substantial, the gun has good balance, and is not overly heavy? Years ago I bought a 6" S&W in 22 Mag and it was so darn heavy I sold it.

I am trying to decide between a Model 94 and a PT22. I realize we are talking apples and oranges here. I have picked up and handled at PT22 and with the wood grips it had a good feel to it. The only Model 94 I have seen in person and picked up was the 2" with the extremely short grips.

Any aftermarket support for grips?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Any aftermarket grip for the small-frame Taurus revolvers will fit the 94. One of mine came from the factory with a Hogue grip, while the other came with the generic wood grip Taurus used for many years. My guns are 4" and 5" pieces, so concealability is not a consideration. For me the wood grip feels best, but I don't have large hands. Hogue and Uncle Mike's both make grips for Taurus revolvers, so you should be able to find something that works. Weight and balance of both revolvers is pretty good, with the five-incher being a little more muzzle-heavy than the shorter gun. I belive the 94 weighs in at around 27 oz., making it considerably lighter than most semis. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Mark is right about aftermarket grips, many of which are available now for the small frame Taurus. The S&W you had with six inch barrel which was too heavy was, most likely, a K frame gun, significantly larger and heavier than the small frame Taurus, roughly equivalent to the J frame S&Ws.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a 4in Model 94 now and the grips feel good and the balance is nice as well. I think you would be happy with it, and as said earlier, there are several options besides the standard grips if they don't suit you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It fits my large hands just great with rubber factory grips. Pointability is very good on this 4" model. Quite accurate and not fussy about ammo. Loads of fun shooting cans with the primer-only Aguila caps off the back deck. Great "going for a walk" gun on the country road where I live. I have a scoped 10" Contender for accuracy and a 7'' Mark II with a tuned aftermarket trigger that are more accurate. But the 94 is quick and easy to load or reload, reliable, light and (stainless) trouble free.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just purchased a 94 in blue 4" it came with rubber grips which i changed to factory walnuts,i didn't like the rubber grips and the walnut fit my hand much better.Its a great little plinking and trail gun and surprisingly accurate.I bought it on Auction Arms L.N.I.B. for $175.00 which i think is a great little revolver for that kind of money.Particulary when a name brand would cost you two to three times as much. gn luver

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a stainless 4" 94 that I can't seem to part with. I know other "target" guns are more accurate (and more expensive, too ;) ), and other brands will get more oooohs and aaahs at the range. But this gun feels great in my hands, balances well, likes every kind of ammo I've fed it, and is just plain fun to shoot.
On the negative side, I did have to replace one part right off the bat, but my gunsmith encouraged me to keep the gun, saying it was otherwise "perfect" and should last a lifetime. He's an internationally competitive pistol shooter, by the way, and knows quality guns when he sees them.
The pistol did require a trigger job to make the double action user-friendly.
Overall, I highly recommend the Taurus 94. I would buy another one (in fact, I bid on the .22 mag version today).
-David

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have the Taurus-PT22. it IS small and fairly-accurate for the ~2" barrel.
I usually get best results with Std-velocity.
HIGH-velocity just blows them out the barrel and they tumble...
and some SubSonics may not cycle reliably... as mine has a
very tight-spring on the slide... It fits my hand just fine
(I'm 6"4", slender build --with a little bulge halfway down ;)

I am interested in the Taurus 94B4, too...
A question... does the cylinder "tilt-out"
for load/unload/cleaning, like the traditional Cop-Revolver ???
or does it have the Plunger/Extractor like the
Ruger-Single-Six or Heritage Wheel-Guns ???
-- toyfj40

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Taurus 94 is a double-action revolver with a swing-out cylinder. It does not have the traditional loading gate found on single-action revolvers, such as the Ruger Single Six. I have two and they're both great shooters. My only real gripe is that the double-action trigger pull is pretty heavy.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Mark Shipley said:
Taurus 94 is a DA revolver with a swing-out cylinder.
Thanks Mark for the reply/info.
--I hope the Topanga-Canyon fires are not a threat to you--
The Image/photo of the the 94 appears to have the tilt,
but don't trust webMasters to have the exact-image of a gun
on a page... and did not want to mis-assume, since I'd not
seen a Taurus-22-revolver locally.
My initial-motivation is for a "trail gun", as I go camping often.
I've been a regular camper for ~20yrs and never "needed a gun",
so, I'm not worried about having to take my .45 or .357. Just
thought it'd be an excuse to get a .22 revolver to go with my
Ruger-Mark Pistols. I'd thought about a .22wmr revolver to
have the CCI-22Mag-ShotShells, but did not like the price on
.22mag ammo for general-practice/range shooting. I'll just
consider loading the first 1-2 cylinders with CCI-22LR-shotshells
and then put CCI-Quik-Shok behind it.
I've also heard that .22Mag is a LOT of powder behind a 40-50gr
bullet for a handgun-barrel-length. --toyfj40

EDIT: well, I got it today. 94B4. feels really nice. the grips are
just a tad-small for my "lanky fingers", but depending on how much
I end up shooting it... I can shop for some larger grips.
I got a Uncle-Mikes holster "sidekick size2".
The dark blue finish is really pretty, I'll hate to mess it up :rolleyes:
The Single-Action-pull is long and hard, but the cock, then
Double-action-trigger is really light. The thumb-lever on the hammer
is sorta small to my thumb, but it works. The weight/balance feels
good to my hand. Smooth trigger surface. I need to get it to the
range soon...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.