Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
patience

According to Taurus, none have been shipped yet. They expect to begin shipping sometime this summer, but that was just a guess....

Doug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My dealer has them listed in his distributers catalog now but I did not ask him to order yet because I wanted to see one first and try to find out if they are "ok." Have one of the Taurus 62 rifles and its a great plinker. I guess its just as well that I did not order one if they are not really there. MWJ

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was planing on getting one but I want to see it first. The trigger looks a little "off" not like the original Winchesters I've seen. I wonder if it is a lawyer designed change? Otherwise SWEET! is the word.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had an origianl 63 as a boy. It was stolen and I've been looking for another one since then. Winchester started making new ones a few years ago, but ugh... the price! I can't wait for the Taurus version.

The 63 was the best semi auto rimfire design ever. Of course I'm a bit biased since this was my first gun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Taurus mod. 63

I am also looking forward to the 63's being released. I have been drooling over them at taurususa.com. However I am confused about capacity. They list the L.R. version as 10 rounds, and the magnum version as 11 rounds. I'm not crazy about their locking system on the side of the bolt either, but I still want one!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not in love with the locking system either. But compared to some others I've seen, it doesn't look too bad. If it doesn't interfere with the useabiltiy of the gun, I'm pretty satisfied. Keeping the lawyers at bay has (unfortunately) become a reality that the gun manufacturers have to deal with.

I think that the capacity issue might just be a misprint, unless they plan on extending the stock to allow more capacity. I can't imagine they would do that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm a fan of the original Winchester 63's, and see them fairly often in handsome, used condition at local gun shows for $400 and under, sometimes as low as $325 in very respectable condition. Around here, the average yahoo pretty much just wants a gun he can put a scope on with no effort, and if an aftermarket bull barrel and plastic stock are available, so much the better! :D I don't know what the projected price for the Taurus 63's is going to be, but you might want to scout around for a nice, used original Winchester 63 -- depending on the amount of finish wear you can accept, you might be surprised what you can find!! An 80 percent one with no abuse wouldn't be hard to locate here in my area for $350 with a little looking.

And boy, howdy, they are SWEET SHOOTERS. I have one my late gunsmith friend turned into a carbine for me, with a Lyman #45 receiver sight. He cut the barrel to 18", installed a factory-style rounded crown, re-dovetailed the barrel to factory specs, and mounted a nice old Lyman ivory bead front sight. It is short, light, handy, and deadly accurate! In case you're wondering, the short barrel doesn't seem to make the rifle look odd -- rather, it makes it look kind of like a scale model of the old Winchester .351SL model 1907. I was going to go with a 16.5" barrel for maximum compactness, but my 'smith talked me out of it, saying it would be too short and look out of balance, and I'm glad I listened to him -- 18" came out just right. The folks I've showed it to and let shoot it really love it, and seem to hit very well with it. Most think it came from the factory this way, thanks to the care my 'smith took to duplicate the original look of the Winchester factory crown and dovetail dimensions, etc. Plinking with this thing is addictive!! :cool:

If you're thinking about aftermarket or improved sights, I persoanlly prefer a receiver sight to a tang sight for a couple of reasons -- 1, they are more compact and less apt to hang up on stuff or get in the way; 2, they don't interfere with your natural grip on the rifle, and 3, if you use your rifle as a takedown for compact storage in traveling (I do), the front and rear sight will always be on the same plane if you use a receiver sight, and the zero doesn't change. The Lyman 45 is an extremely flat, compact sight, all steel and very well made, that was designed just for the Model 03 and 63, that can be located from the collector sight suppliers such as Nick Stroebel and Garry Fellers with some effort. It isn't cheap, but you buy once and use it for the rest of your life... well worth it for something that brings you happiness every time you see it for the next 50 years, in my book!

Hope this helps,
John

·
Registered
75 Posts
John, I've seen a lot of nice 63's for sale at that price but they were chambered for the 22wrf(?) not the 22lr. The 22lr's sell for at least $200 more here in Houston. I you can find them for that price pick some up and sell them in Houston.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Taurus model 63

That Lyman #45 receiver sight interests me. Is it a "peep" sight? I have NEVER seen an original Whinchester 63 for sale. There are two 1903's, one is in rough shape, the other is good but with no ammo (or very expensive ammo) they are no good to me. The Taurus manufacters suggested retail price is $295.00. A couple of local shops discount all new guns, so that looks like the best option for me. However, Ill keep an eye out for an original.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Taurus 63 v original

Well I started this thread and it appears they are not out yet. Some dealers here also discount new guns so the price will be right if they are of adequate quality. It seems original 1903's are around because they do not shoot 22LR ammo. I also less frequently see original Model 63's, but if in any condition are between $400-700. The recent reproductions were high dollar items too, so I hope the Taurus is a good one. MWJ

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
In the Atlanta area, I have not seen a decent Winchester M63 for under $550. The $550 one had been drilled and tapped on top of the receiver. Most are $650 to $850. And if it's chambered for 22 Winchester Rimfire Auto, it's a Winchester M1903.

·
Registered
128 Posts
EGADS, I didn't know how good we had it on 63's down here!! (Southern Mississippi). The Lyman 45 sight is a very flat receiver (peep) sight, that has a rack and pinion elevating mechanism. To operate it you flip a lever to unlock the elevation slide and then rotate a little wheel and the elevation slide runs up and down, driven by little gears inside the sight. It does have provision for windage adjustment using a screwdriver, and is extremely well made and compact, all blued steel. Cost "back in the day" was a whopping $3.00, but now if you find one they are usually about $50 for a mechanically sound one with finish wear, on up, depending on condition. They have a built-in small aperture insert on a hinge, which folds up and down, so you can have a larger peep aperture for low light or moving targets, or a smaller peep aperture for smaller targets or brighter light just by folding the little insert up or down -- very ingenious, and nothing to get lost.

Needless to say, nothing of comparable quality is available today, so you have to go looking for old originals...

I hope Taurus does a good job on the 63 repro for the folks who are not able to get the real thing as reasonably priced as we are down South!
John

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
John F. said:
I hope Taurus does a good job on the 63 repro for the folks who are not able to get the real thing as reasonably priced as we are down South!
John
The last time I looked at a map, Georgia was down South too,and the prices here abouts ain't nowhar near them thar prices in Lower Mizzsippi. :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.