Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Taurus 94 2"

1207 5
Well, as mentioned in the other recent 94 thread, I brought home my blue 94 2" today. Didn't want to hijack the other thread.

I carefully went over this gun at my dealers before committing to buy it. It has a very nice, even blue, locks up tight, times/indexes correctly. My dealer didn't have any .22 snap caps, but he did have some fired casings, so I checked the trigger out in the shop. The DA is naturally heavy, but not unmanagable, the SA is nice and smooth..not too heavy at all. The firing pin marks were nice and deep.

After waiting my mandatory (stupid) 3 days, I brought her home and wiped off the tons of oil Taurus likes to bathe their guns in. I ran a few patches down the bore and chambers. I took it out and shot two cylinders of Aguila Super Colibris through it, so as to not make my closest neighbors upset. Firing and extraction were fine. Tomorrow I will take off the side plate and wring out all the oil inside and relube. Hopefully Sunday I can get to the range and get to breaking her in.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A little follow up...I took the grips and side plate off today to give it a good cleaning. No metal shavings in mine, as some have reported. I took the trigger, hammer, springs, hand and f.p. transfer safety bar out and cleanded them with MPro7, wiped them with a light coat of Break Free and put some Tetra gun grease on the contact points. I also cut two coils off the trigger return spring while I had it out. This all made a nice difference in the double action pull, and the single action was a tad better too. I didn't take any coils off the hammer spring, as many have reported light strikes by doing this or by going with a lighter spring. The double action pull is very smooth now, and doesn't feel near as heavy. I ran a few cylinders of bulk ammo through it to test ignition and extraction. I had zero problems. I didn't make it to the range to do some testing from the bench and get the sights dialed in, but I will try to get out there soon. In all, I am very pleased with my Taurus, with maybe the exception of the semi-translucent red/orange insert in the front sight. It washes out easily in the light. I will probably scuff it a tad with some fine steel wool and put a little day glo orange on there. Now I am wanting a 5" model as a stable mate.:bthumb:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok, a little update. Took the little Taurus to the range yesterday, and after a couple of cylinders of Win. Xperts, the gun started to hang up once in a while. I was getting the dreaded "cylinder lock up" that others have reported. I took it home and cleaned the snot out of it again. Back to the range today to test it out, and was getting one or two misfires per cylinder, and it also hung up once or twice per cylinder as well.

I decided to pay careful attention to what was going on when it locked. The next time it hung up, I noticed the firing pin was stuck forward, still contacting the fired case, thus locking everything up. I brought it home, took off the sideplate once more, and this time took the firing pin out. It didn't come out without a little coaxing, and defintately had some drag. I grabbed the dremel and a felt wheel with some semi chrome polish, and buffed the firing pin on low speed to a nice, slick shine, being careful not to round the tip any. I then took out the rebound spring, and cleaned the f.p. channel. There was a tiny sliver of metal that came out on the Qtip from the channel. There was also quite a bit of the Taurus preservative in the hole. The burr must have been from the drilling of the channel, I presume. After a few rounds through the gun, I think the combination of the factory goop, the tiny burr and the slightly rough firing pin all worked against each other at some intervals. When I put it back together, the f.p. definately went in much smoother.

To test it out, I grabbed a handful of Win. bulk and Federal Champions. Off to the range again to try it out. I shot 3 cylinders of each ammo without a hitch. I came home and went out to the garage and fired 4 cylinders of CCI CBs into some wood planks without a hitch as well.

I would suggest if you are getting the cylinder lock while firing your Taurus to first look at the gap between the cylinder and forcing cone. The gap seems to have been reported to run a little snug in the little revolvers. If it isn't hanging up there, try taking your firing pin out and polishing it and cleaning the channel very well. In fact, I should have done this when I first took it apart for the initial cleaning.

I'm still very pleased with the little Taurus, and it is pretty darn accurate with CCI Mini Mag hollow points and CCI Blazers. Some have reported metal shavings inside their guns, and sometimes a ton of sticky oil inside. I'm not going to bash Taurus for "bad" quality control on this one. My new 10/22 came with the barrel canted so much that the extractor was straining to fit in the cut out on the barrel. It also came with both mounting screws loose in the V block. I have purchased two S&W 22As recently, and one has been flawless, and the other had too long a recoil spring in it, failing to let the slide retract enough to always strip a new round from the mag. Two of the three Savage .22s my dealer had on the shelf had the scope bases drilled and tapped canted to the left of center. Many AR15 buyers, of several brands, have found that the carrier keys aren't properly staked and end up loose, causing malfunctions.

Quality control has slipped in most manufacturers it seems as of late, I suppose in an attempt to keep labor costs down. I don't really mind doing a little tweaking if necessary, but I would rather someone in the QC depts. find the bugs before I have to.

Sorry for the long rant, but I wanted to give an honest update on my little Taurus. I would buy another, with the notion that I may have to do some work to make it as reliable as it should be, just as with many other manufacturers these days.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Great report, Hans!

The T94 is a bargain, compared to it's nearest competition - the S&W model 63. Even if one has to pay a gunsmith reasonable charges to address the minor "finish work", it's still less money than the S&W (even the used one's these days). Mine (a 5" version) has shown to be accurate beyond all expectation - even in comparison to my "hotrodded" Ruger MKIII, and with a superior SA trigger, to boot. It's good to see how you tackled the firing pin problem. For anyone who is patient enough to perform some minor tune-up and clean-up work himself, the Taurus 94 is a heck of a deal, IMO.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Once you get them totally clean and broken in, they will function fine. I have a 94 with 5" barrel. I replaced all the springs and firing pin and cleaned it up because I was getting light strikes and yesterday I put 650rds thru it with no light strikes or lock up. :bthumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.