Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Taurus 62 lever gun?

1238 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Ulmus
Has anyone seen one up close--demo model or whatever? It's supposed to come out at the end of this year. Looks really nice on the website. I'd like a carbine in stainless, but it's not clear whether they'll be available in that configuration.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
toivo said:
Has anyone seen one up close--demo model or whatever? It's supposed to come out at the end of this year. Looks really nice on the website. I'd like a carbine in stainless, but it's not clear whether they'll be available in that configuration.
Only seen the website pictures, looks like it's based on the mod62 pumpaction. Is this the frame they are putting their 32H&R mag on? If so, that's a must have.......................

..................................TM7

· Registered
7,286 Posts
OK, so I'm getting a little OT

I'd like the 32 H&R also because Marlin has a 9-12 month backlog on the 1894 Cowboy in 32H&R. If I was more patient I would get the Marlin. You do get what you pay for. :t

My only concern, with the Taurus model, is the reliable functionality of converting/modifying a pump gun to a lever gun. It would be nice to have a 20" verses 16" barrel also.

I think I'll wait and see. It's like the new Sig Mosquito. People are paying up to $80 OVER msrp, but you don't read anyone "hootin n hollerin" about how great they are. I hope it's more than an improved P22. :D

· Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vepr762 said:
It would be nice to have a 20" verses 16" barrel also.
It looks like they're going to offer both barrel lengths, but it's kind of confusing. The description says it'll be available in youth and regular stock sizes, carbine and rifle lengths, and .22 and .32 chambering, but when you go to the gun listings, the .32 is listed only under "carbines," and the .22 is listed only under "rifles."

· Registered
336 Posts
I'm not that impatient but I am begining to think this doesn't exist

I have been asking my FFL to see if he could track this down since I first came across it on their website, no luck thus far no one (distributor) seems to have any. Any bets on when it may (ever) come out? I would like the youth/ shortest barrel since the marlin 39TDS is just as rare.

· Registered
942 Posts
I have been asking my FFL to see if he could track this down since I first came across it on their website, no luck thus far no one (distributor) seems to have any. Any bets on when it may (ever) come out? I would like the youth/ shortest barrel since the marlin 39TDS is just as rare.
I pulled this up with Google: http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products/newitems/taulr.html

These are rifles and I don't know if they have them in stock, but it gives you some place to start. BTW, I have never even been to that site before, so I have nothing good or bad to say about them.

I didn't see a LA carbine on the Taurus site so maybe they just made the rifles...

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Taurus 62 Lever

I handled one at a gunshow a few weeks back. It was the longer rifle version in stainless steel. The lever throw is nice and short, finish was nice but I could do without the checkering. Price was around 300 and if it would have been the shorter version I would have been tempted to take it home. The dealer that had it isn't that far away from where I live and I could find his number if anyone is interested.

· Registered
145 Posts
I found my stainless 62LA on Gunbroker.com for $270.00 plus shipping, and I still see several listed for under $300.00 check it out, search under "Taurus Lever". I'm happy with mine a full size rifle with 23" barrel. I'm told the lever design was on the Winchester drawing boards back in 1906 but due to brisk sales of the pump version they saw no need to produce the lever version.

· Registered
22 Posts
I'm told the lever design was on the Winchester drawing boards back in 1906 but due to brisk sales of the pump version they saw no need to produce the lever version.
This is true, it was patent #837,072 on Nov. 27, 1906. By Thomas C. Johnson. There are two examples known to exist that were made during development of the patent. I got this info from the book Winchester Slide-Action Riffles by Ned Schwing.

· Registered
320 Posts
I saw one at the local gun show about a six months ago. It had a beautiful case hardened finish and the lever worked well. It might have been the youth model as it seemed short like my wifes pump. It's definitely worth checking out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.