Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

tasco scopes?

1897 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  rockyriver
what do you think of tasco world class scopes? i am interested in the 3-9x40.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Tasco Went Bankrupt Last Year..! !

CZ452lrshooter,

Several things you should know:

1. "Tasco" went bankrupt in the summer of 2002...! !
2. All "Tasco" warranties are null and void...! ! Even if it says "Lifetime Warranty", there is NONE...! ! :eek:
[New "Tasco's" made by Bushnell will carry the Bushnell warranty]
3. Any and all repairs are being done by ABO at a cost to you of $23., plus the shipping & insurance to ABO...! ! :(
4. Most, if not all, of "Tasco's" scope production was shifted to China a year or so before they went bankrupt...! ! :(
5. Scopes made in China have very poor optics, mechanicals, and quality...! ! :(

The "Tasco" scopes that everyone raves about were the "World Class Plus" scopes, made in Japan...! ! :cool:

Sorry, but those are the facts...! ! :(
See less See more
there is areason why they are called Trashco. For the same money your better off with a Nikko Stirling or Hakko.
Hakko ? Available in the USA? 12-60x56 quality?

AZZA said:
there is areason why they are called Trashco. For the same money your better off with a Nikko Stirling or Hakko.
Azza, What kind of quality are the Hakko target scopes, and price.
I had never heard of them till I did a search after your post. Neither scope is a normaly available in the USA at least that I am aware of or remember.
The Hakko name is rings a bell though, is this the optic company that is the producer of the high quality Japanese optics?
I saw the 12-60x56 Target model and got to wondering. If it is a quality scope, this would be the trick for long range varminting, and 500-1000 yard benchrest. It helps to see what you are trying to hit.
I also liked the power range of the 4-20x40 a good smallbore scope, say on a .17HMR or 22 magnum, or even a .223.
I may know a friend in the service who will be in the right spot in the world. I just need to have a little background info. And then, it may not be worth considdering at all, if the quality isn't there or the hassle is to get one.
By the way, this is the website I was looking at, at least the target page.
http://www.hakko-japan.co.jp/optical/english/target.htm
Thanks for that post Azza, it was interesting to see something different. Andy :t
See less See more
Why dosent any check the facts ,FIRST

Dose knowone look at websites any more? BigMike is correct on the warrinty part of the old tasco's. Tasco is now made by bushnell ,and has the same quality as bushnell now and even some of bushnell's scopes are made in CHINA AS WELL . I Had a China bushnell on me 300win mag and after 5 or 6 Hunderd round's it never shook apart, lost POI, Foged up or let me down Never once. How many People that are putting down Tasco Have tryed the New Ones made by Bushnell? If you havent I wouldent be calling them junk unless you have had a new bushnell one.

BigMike said:
1. "Tasco" went bankrupt in the summer of 2002...! !
2. All "Tasco" warranties are null and void...! ! Even if it says "Lifetime Warranty", there is NONE...! !
[New "Tasco's" made by Bushnell will carry the Bushnell warranty]
3. Any and all repairs are being done by ABO at a cost to you of $23., plus the shipping & insurance to ABO...! !
4. Most, if not all, of "Tasco's" scope production was shifted to China a year or so before they went bankrupt...! !
5. Scopes made in China have very poor optics, mechanicals, and quality...! !

The "Tasco" scopes that everyone raves about were the "World Class Plus" scopes, made in Japan...! !

Sorry, but those are the facts...! !
From old tasco website
To our valued customers:

The Tasco® trade name has been acquired by Bushnell Performance Optics.

We will re-launch this web site soon with the new Tasco product line.

If you have a Tasco product that requires service or repair - special arrangements have been made. Please contact ABO (USA), Inc. at 305-860-4858 for more information. READ THIS AS WELL
AND Now from there NEW WEBSITE
CUSTOMER SERVICE

If you have a Tasco product that requires service or repair -

(1) First determine if your product was manufactured before or after 9/1/02. Tasco products manufactured before this date did not have a code for the year of manufacture. Tasco products manufactured after 9/1/02 will have this code (See Diagram 1 for help with determining this).

The Tasco brand was purchased by the current owners in August of 2002. Only product manufactured after this date is entitled to complete warranty coverage.

(2) Call our Customer Service at 1-800-423-3537

If your product was manufactured after 9/1/02 - be prepared to give the Customer Service Representative the code number found on the product and you will be given instructions on sending your product in for repair.

If your product was manufactured before 9/1/02 - the Customer Service Representative will provide more information on the repair/replacement options available to you.
READ THIS AS WELL
Hope this solves the tasco secret
See less See more
As to optics made in China - a few years ago, I ordered a Nikon Sky & Earth 60mm angled eyepiece spotting scope from Midway, along with a 25x wide angle eyepiece for use in highpower matches out to 1000yds. I've owned several Nikon cameras & lenses for 20+ years, and was expecting the same quality level & Japanese optics in the scope. I was not pleased to see "Made in China" printed right under the Nikon logo on the scope box as soon as I opened the package. However, I was able to do several direct comparisons between my Nikon and a couple of Kowa spotters that cost more than three times as much. The Nikon's optical quality was so close to that of an 82mm Kowa that I honestly couldn't see the difference. The main thing I did notice was that the two Kowas both had a smoother focusing mechanism, with what I'd assume were finer & smoother threads on the focusing knob. The reason most HP shooters buy Kowas is that they offer a LER eyepiece, which makes their scopes much easier to use in the prone position.

At any rate, I've had good luck with Tasco products over the years - and just bought one of the cheap 6-24x42mm target scopes (the same one that's on the cover of the May Midway catalog for $79.99) to use to check 600yd. 223 ammo until my Weaver KT15 (which shot craps within a couple of months after I bought it) gets repaired. Set at 24x, it's not the brightest scope I've used, but not significantly harder to use than a $600+ Leupold 36x BR scope I had on a Stolle Panda 6PPC light varmint BR rifle. It did what I asked it to - and allowed me to shoot several 1/2MOA groups off the bench at 600 with a match grade AR service rifle. When the Weaver gets back, I plan to mount the Tasco on my Rem. M541T, and though I'd like to be able to buy a better scope, I feel it will work just fine on the Remington until such time that I can afford to replace it with a better scope.
See less See more
Hmmm... Yesterday I checked my Chinese made Tasco on a boresighter to see if the zero moved when the parralex and or power was changed.
I dont have my own boresighter so borrowed one from a family freind who works as a bowsmith. While inspecting my rifle, he said "nice scope". I thought this was odd, seeing that it was a Tasco made in China. So I replyed "ya but, Im a little warry of the fact that its made in China". He smiled and said "The truth is. Most of the scopes are made in China".
I didnt think to much about that at the time. I was just happy my scope was working fine.
can we better define "which China?"

i don't really know, but aren't some scope (glass, lens) factories in Taiwan, and others in China? interesting how manufacturing, and marketing are becoming ever more global, even as we speak.
"Made In China"

WoodsWalker,

Whenever I refer to "Made In China", the 'China' I am speaking of is Mainland China, or the PRC...! ! :(

Having spent years trying to instill "Quality" into a manufacturing operation in China [PRC], my comments are not without merit. :eek:
Unless "Quality" and "Standards" are forced upon a Chinese manufacturing operation, there will be none...! ! :(
BIgmike ,Not to try to cause stuff ,But how many of the bushnell made tascos have you owned????
lovemy1022,
...., how many of the bushnell made tascos have you owned????
Seeing as I am not looking for a scope, none...! !
Not to try to cause ****
You are, as all my comments were directed specifically towards the late production, now dead, "Tasco" scopes coming out of China, and still on dealers' shelves, without their "Lifetime Warranty". Reread my Post... :rolleyes:
I have seen many favorable comments on the Tasco World Class TS series target scopes (8x-32x-44mm). I believe they are World Class and not the World Class Plus. Anyone know where they were made? I have a chance to pick one up cheap and hope they are a good scope. ohioruger
How to ascertain "quality"

Big Mike,
like you, i am quite mystified as to how various products find themselves in the distribution channels.... Design is in one place, materials machining another, assemblage another, and finally, on the to the consumer (final user).

Is there or could there be a clearinghouse that could rate different products as to price, useability, reliability, ease of repair, etc?

Or in the future, should we plan to use it till it breaks, and then get another one?

Hmmm, i guess the larger question is whether we want to remain a throw-away society, or become one based more upon principles of sustainability?

i've got an old weaver that is being re-worked; don't know yet if it'll be of an economic benefit or not... There's lots of new stuff out there.
l believe there are only 2 scope lens manafacters left in Japan
Hakko and ARL AOL or some company name like that.
So you get what you pay for.
Lightforce lenses made in the same factory as Japan Tasco's, just diffrent quality specs.
l compared my 10x40 Leupold to my Tasco 5*20x50 Japan made, set at 12x to have similar exit pupil 4 and 4.16
had to go out to the edges of the Tasco's lens to see any diff
For what it's worth, I just bought 3 Tasco scopes from MidSouth for 57 bucks apiece, and they are an Excellent Value, in my opinion.

Tasco Model VAR251042 scopes have MilDot reticle, big target turret knobs, Adjustable Objective lens, and are clear and bright. I have noticed no zero change when I vary the power.

They were advertised as a "New!" scope, but I don't know when they were made. Yes, they were made in China.
Sorry about that, but my eyes are getting older, and I needed to economically rescope a few rifles, with an AO scope...

I showed one to my Dad, and he thought it was better than the B&L stuff he used to buy for 3 times the price.

Best to All,
pronghorn

I just sighted in my 30-30 with a tasco pronghorn on top of it and the scope seems stable to me. I put 40 rounds through the gun and the scope has not shifted. Is it possible I got a fluke? I hope.

NOTE: The only reason I have the pronghorn on top of my 30-30 is cause I never get to shoot my 30-30 because Maryland has vertually no rifle hunting areas. The pronghorn came with the gun when I bought it 3 years ago. I just shot it for the first time today in the rain :D
I use several Tasco Silhoulette scopes, two 24X and one 36X ... All are crystal clear and never experienced ANY problem ... I have a 6X24X40, (ten years old), which was dropped .... Sent it back to Tasco/Bushnell recently and was repaired at no charge !
I will sell you my world class plus, if you wish. It is stainless steel. It also has light scope ring marks. The reason for selling is it has no A/O to cut down on parrallax and this scope is really made for a center fire rifle at 100 yards or better shooting, and with a 22 rimfire I will never shoot that distance.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.