Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to try Target ammo out in the Ruger. Today I bought some Winchester Target and Federal Gold Medal Target. Has anyone have anything good or bad to say about my purchase? I bought 2 boxes of each.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The rifles I've tested Federal Gold Medal in, have all strongly preferred the subsonic version (1080fps marked on the box) to the higher velocity version, which hasn't shot very well in my guns.

I have had outstanding results in many good rifles using Eley target ammo. If you really want to know how well your rifle shoots, a good scope, a good rest, a calm, windless day and several 5-shot groups of Eley Tenex are about as good a picture as you will get, in my experience. I have personally not had much luck over the years with RWS R50 -- have often found good lots of Eley Standard (at about $2.50 a box) to shoot better than R50 (at $8 per box) in my rifles.

Hope this helps,
John

·
Registered
390 Posts
I used to have excellent results with Gold Medal Target (711)...however the last couple bricks have given me several Failures to Fire.

I've got a couple boxes of CCI Green Tag I'm eager to try...I'll post results when I do the testing.

Jeremy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its been a little while since I've used either, but I used the Federals for a long time because of thier good accuracy and functioning in my 10/22. I tried the Winchesters, (were they called T22's?) but thier performance was "less than impressive" in accuracy. For the past year I'm shooting WMT for serious accuracy and Fed Lightning for cheap plinking in the Ruger.

I've got 2 other .22's that love the Winchester Super X HV or Power Points though. Seemingly the same load, only difference being the HV solid bullet versus the PP hollow point. I can go back and forth between them without changing my scope settings in a Rem. 581. Same deal with a Stevens Favorite with a tang sight. But the Ruger doesn't like them......every .22 is a different story..... keeps things interesting.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
RD, I haven't heard too many people with anything good to say about the win T22.
Then again, most people here seem to REALLY dislike Remington ammo too but my carbon BC barrel loves their cheap target ammo.
Just give it a try... I'm quite sure your rifle will let you know when you find the load it likes:D
Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.