Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

target .22 rifle to practice 3-position for HighPower matches

1455 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  reddogge
Hello,

I'm starting to play in NRA HighPower XTC, and have (quickly) came to the conclusion that I need a *lot* of practice from position, especially Standing. I've done some dry-firing, but it lacks feedback (i.e. when the sights were like 'this' and I squeeze the trigger like 'that', the bullet goes 'there') and is boring as hell. I've been putting some miles on my CZ452 American w/ Weaver T6, but I'd like to get something a little more suited for use w/ shooting coat, glove, and sling from positions.

Right now the options I'm considering are the Kimber 82 Gov't CMP, Anschutz 64 MPR, or Anschutz 1903. The problem w/ the last two is that they are starting to get spendy (being Anschutz), and unless I'm mistaken, don't include match sights, so tack on another couple hundred for Anschutz sights. The Kimbers seem like a good deal, depending on whether you get a cherry or a beater, or whether the one you get actually comes w/ sights (I've head of them coming with and without).

Lastly, the local gunstore has some Marlin 2000L 'sample' rifles that they picked up a batch of earlier this year. Not sure if they still make these (doesn't look like it) but it seems like a well made gun for the money ($475-500 w/ sights) if they do indeed shoot.

Any other suggestions? Are the old Mossberg rifles from the CMP worth using? I'm not intending on getting competitive in Smallbore (yet), just working on deficiencies in my position/hold for HighPower. From what I've heard/read a hold that would qualify as a '10' in HighPower would only net me an '8' in SmallBore. Yikes!!!

Thanks,

Monte
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
rifles for HP training

I can't offer any recommendations about the CMP Kimber or the Marlin 2000. I do have a CMP H&R M12 that I love but it's not really so good for XC training. The stock is definitely designed for prone shooting only.

Consider an air rifle for training. Randolph Constantine recommends it highly in his book and there are some articles by David Tubb at zediker.com that talk about it. Rifles that would be competitive in serious 10 meter competition are not cheap -- $1K and up -- but for practice, a Brno Tau 200 or Daisy Valiant would be perfectly serviceable and run in the $400 neighborhood.

rmd

· Registered
1,253 Posts
milanuk,

Last time I looked on the CMP site, the Kimbers were selling with sights. They were designed pretty much for what you want to do. All are new that I have seen/heard about. Accurate for position shooting but lacking for benchrest. What you heard about the 50' rimfire target is true. It is much tougher than the high power target. If you get proficient with the rimfire on an A17 target, high power will look easy. Ofcourse, the rapid fire stages may be difficult with a single shot Kimber.:)

Ken

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An airgun may be another option indeed. That way I can set up inside my barn/shop in the winter and shoot w/o freezing my rear off. I live out in the country a short ways, w/ fairly permissive neighbors, so .22LR shooting is pretty well tolerated ( hell, I tolerate their dogs barking, so it's *all* good ).

Now that I think of it, I might have access to an old Mossberg 44. I bought one years ago, got in a bind and sold it to my dad, and it languishes now that he is not able to get out and shoot anymore. I'd have to find sights for it, as he sold them in exchange for getting a Bushnell 4x scope mounted (!?!) on it. Of course, it *is* about 4 or 5 states away, so that might be a problem.

Are these rifles re-hab'able to where they would be worth practicing w/? Right now I can shoot ok from sitting or prone w/ my CZ; dime to nickel sized groups at 50' prone, nickel to quarter sized groups sitting (both w/ a military sling, but no coat or glove), but Standing, well, I consider it a very good day when I can keep 5 shots w/i 3" or less. Not sure when I got so terrible at Offhand, cuz I recall being pretty fair w/ my Remington 510 TargetMaster in high school (hitting the little tomato paste cans *minimum* 8-9 times out of ten offhand at 50 _yards_), but I also averaged at least a brick a week during the summer back then, so long as I had $$$ ;)

Maybe I missed it, but there doesn't seem to be much a formal SmallBore crowd here on RimfireCentral; is there another forum/board somewhere that I can pick their brains for good rifles to start w/, and which ones to avoid? Similarly, any air rifle competition forums?

TIA,

Monte

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as the AR .22 LR upper, if I was shooting a Service Rifle AR, or a space gun Match Rifle, I would definitely go w/ that option (cheaper in the long run too). As it stands, my 'Match Rifle' for XTC is a Rem 700VS worked over by Jim Cloward to accept stripper clips sights, and a fore end rail, in .308 Winchester. Shoots sub-half MOA pretty easily scoped w/ several loads, now I just need to get the shooter to where he (I) can come even remotely close to that w/ aperature sights. I am planning on having the gun revamped this fall w/ a regular HighPower XTC style stock (McGee Straight Taper), and have a line on a 30" Pac-Nor Super Match 6.5x08 barrel (slightly used) w/ neck-turned brass, dies, and bullets for a good price.

In the mean time, I'm trying to get to where I can actually shoot well enough to justify the upgrade. I don't have a coat yet; I just ordered a Creedmoor Standard Heavy Cordura coat w/ vented hardback and zippered waist. That put a dent in the plastic! Also ordered a Turner No-Pulse sling and a shooting glove. So we'll see how much they help, I guess, before I go selling off odds-n-ends and stretching the plastic to get a 'good' match .22LR or air rifle (ye gads, those things are spendy !) The CMP Sporting Rifle idea is intriguing. I'll have to look around for some rules/regulations and see if there is any activity in this area (I'm having to drive 2-3 hours to get to any HighPower matches; most of the local competition is BR oriented)

Thanks,

Monte

· Registered
84 Posts
milanuk said:
Maybe I missed it, but there doesn't seem to be much a formal SmallBore crowd here on RimfireCentral; is there another forum/board somewhere that I can pick their brains for good rifles to start w/, and which ones to avoid? Similarly, any air rifle competition forums?
Try http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/wwwboard.html for 10 meter talk. There is a smallbore forum at jouster.com but I can't say whether it qualifies as "formal" smallbore. They would be the guys with the straight skinny on the CMP Kimber and the M44 though.

rmd

· Registered
171 Posts
You and I are on the same page

I need some serious mat time to improve my scores in NRA Long Range. Like you, I couldn't find a good reason to go with dry firing, I wanted direct feedback too.......where did the bullet hit?

Rather than shoot out my new Lilja barrel practicing, I hit on the notion of using a 22 at shorter ranges. And I wanted the same sight set up, RPA Trakker rear, RPA 22mm front with all the goodies that I have in both sights. Plus, like you, I shoot in the Match Rifle class.

My decision was to buy an Anschutz 64 MPR. I dropped it off at the gunsmith after work today to have the muzzle drilled and tapped for the front sight base. I'll swap the RPA front sight back and forth but I had to buy another Trakker rear sight because the one I have now is a sidemount and won't work on this rifle.

So far, I've only been able to shoot it with a scope but that's ok, it gave me a chance to do a lot of ammo evaluation. I did try some 50 yard prone and standing with it last week at 50 yards and was real pleased. I believe it is a tremendous training tool.

Your coat is going to add measurably to your scores, as will your Turner sling. If you need a bit of fortification here about using the 22 to simulate High Power shooting, consider this. Mike Barron is a member of my rifle club. He won the Wimbleton a couple years ago. I just found out that Mike practices often with a 22 at 200 yards, and feels it best imitates his wind conditions at 600 with his 6.5-08. If it's good enough for him, it ought to be for us too.

Right now, I'm using 50 yard Smallbore targets. The 10 and X rings are incredibly small but the black itself is larger than it should be to duplicate the sight picture that you have in High Power. At 50 yards, it should be only 3 inches. I'll have to run Mike down and find out just which target he is using at 200 and then get some ordered.

I believe you are on just the right track here. Let us know what you decide to buy and how it works out for you.

· Registered
44 Posts
If you can locate one, the US Springfield M1922's are great trainers for high-power as they were built on '03 actions so you have the size, weight, etc. of the big-bore rifle but the relative inexpense of the .22. I have an M1922M1 and it's a great way to retain the HP skills in between matches. They're great for position shooting as well. Good luck to you.

Jon

· Registered
150 Posts
I shoot highpower with a M1a.

I use a Marlin 2000 for cheap practice. The trigger is about the same as my M1a and I put a post front sight in the globe the same with as my NM M1a sight.

I use the SR-1 100 yard reduced highpower target at 100 yards.

· Registered
2,156 Posts
3 position

I've shot a Remington 513T trainer, a Mossberg 44US, and a Stevens 416T trainer as practice for CMP shoots. The Stevens is the heaviest and has a military trigger, and I like to shoot the Remington at 100 yards offhand (next heaviest and best trigger). Haven't shot the Mossbergs much but they are accurate rifles. None of the above will break the bank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.