Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Taking Coyotes with a 10/22

1497 Views 20 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  The Perferator
I know it's not the preferred weapon for coyote hunting. Before anyone clobbers me for using one let me describe our conditions and see what ya'll think.

I'm from northern lower michigan and hunt deep in the cedar swamps with my brother (he uses a shotgun w/#3 buck). The typical range for shooting would be about 25-35yd max. I could take the .270 but would be in the same situation of having to "snap-shoot" and wouldnt want to sling a bunch of .270 rds due to the added cost and wear on my nice deer rifle.

If we hunt nite time we are limited to using .22lr and/or shotgun with light load like #6 or similar (no slug or buck allowed).

I've seen several coyote taken with .22's over the years but not yet had a shot with mine. I'd like to hear from any of you that have take coyote with a .22lr. Thanx!

Perferator
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the replies, it's encouraging :).

Dave, are you aiming for head shots or vitals? Would rather take the larger target area of the vitals but wondering if you have to chase them another mile before they drop. Sounds like your setups are alot of fun!

Perf

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dean, yup the 10/22 is my only choice this year. I love to carry it, hunt it and shoot it....just my favorite little companion. The .270 is a cannon and cant cycle the rounds like the roog.

I'm sighted in for 50yds with the CCI MM hollowpoints. I know I'll be missing more shots (potentially) than my bro with the cannon.....but danged if I'm gonna sit inside with all the yotes running free taking the rabbits and deer :)......pffffffft, like I need an excuse.

Perf

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know, I'm thinking the same thing about coyotes. I need to find a picture of the vitals so I can know exactly where to aim. But if you can hit them in the lungs and get an exit wound then you've just put two holes in each lung. Most coyotes wouldn't go too far like that. Whitetail deer are king of the "running wounded". You best take the heart out and/or double lung 'em!

And quit telling me about those that are taking coyote by the cord....aint got a one yet this year.

Perferator

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Varmastr, yep I was referring to your post on the stack of coyotes....but was just kidding. I cant imagine what it would be like to take that many coyote in an area (even if a big area). Seems with that many you definately have to trim the numbers back. I love this hunt and can see why it's growing/exploding in popularity.

Antlurz, thanx for the help with that explanation. Guess I've never heard the thing about the line up from the back of the front leg thing. I've always tucked the shot in as close to the shoulder joint as possible and try mostly for "high shoulder" shots. We're going back into the swamps again this week/weekend and give it another try :).

Perf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.