Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Taking Coyotes with a 10/22

1497 Views 20 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  The Perferator
I know it's not the preferred weapon for coyote hunting. Before anyone clobbers me for using one let me describe our conditions and see what ya'll think.

I'm from northern lower michigan and hunt deep in the cedar swamps with my brother (he uses a shotgun w/#3 buck). The typical range for shooting would be about 25-35yd max. I could take the .270 but would be in the same situation of having to "snap-shoot" and wouldnt want to sling a bunch of .270 rds due to the added cost and wear on my nice deer rifle.

If we hunt nite time we are limited to using .22lr and/or shotgun with light load like #6 or similar (no slug or buck allowed).

I've seen several coyote taken with .22's over the years but not yet had a shot with mine. I'd like to hear from any of you that have take coyote with a .22lr. Thanx!

Perferator
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
740 Posts
True enough the .22lr will do the job. I would suggest that you use a bigger gun, but if you that is a limit; ya gotta work with what ya got.

I have seen several yotes killed with a 10/22.
One head shot, 45 or so yards: dropped straight down dead.
One lung shot, 25 yards: dropped with a few kicks and dead.
One front shoulder shot, over 50 yards: The first shot dropped him, but he got up so the person gave it two more to the head and neck.

I would suggest the a high-velocity HP. With a head shot you only have to break the skull before you need expantion not penatration. With heart and lung shots assuming you dont have to go through any bone or real meat, you only have to break the hide and you want expantion as it enters the heart and lungs. :) Just my .02 worth.

Dean_311

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.