Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

TakeDown Screw

832 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  wmrimfire,22
I need a little help. I have stripped the takedown screw hole. Can anyone tell me the size of the takedown screw. Also if anyone knows where to get a helicoil and what size to get?

Teaus
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
The heli-coils are really hard to find because of the wierd size/thread pitch. I had to go to a speacialty screw/hardware store to find them. I couldn't buy just a couple, I think the pack was a dozen or something like that, I think thats enough for a lifetime. The size is 12-24 and the drill size is 15/64". The part # on the package is 5521-1. I hope this helps. I also remember them being expensive, I think they were like $30 or something close.

· Registered
1,136 Posts
Your best bet is to send the receiver to Ruger. They will repair it or replace it.
Another option is to get a Volquartsen take down screw from Volquartsen or WeaponKraft and then drill and tap your receiver to fit. The screw size is 1/4 x 20. You will have to drill out the escutheon in your stock to fit.

· Registered
125 Posts
I thought about having it repaired or making it a bigger size, but I like the idea of steel threads instead of aluminum on a screw that might get used alot(taking the stock off for cleaning), plus, there is no down time if you install the heli-coil yourself, I did mine in under an hour.

· Registered
4,297 Posts
Quarter Twenty

I wouldn't even mess with Ruger's weird sizing, go to the 1/4-20 like OMR says, and do the barrel screw holes at the same time. Then you can "Really" torque things up tight and not have to worry about aluminum threads like you say, not only will the threads be steel, but the coarser threads will hold a higher torque, and be impervious to constantly taking things apart and putting them back together. (After all, you are on RFC, right?)
AND, the relationship between the steel barrel and aluminum receiver will be improved as these two dis-similar metals expand at a much different rate. Use a "Gunsmither V-block replacement", if you're not already doing that, also. :t

· Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes that's what I have done. I went to the 1/4-20 but waiting on the helicoils to arrive. I think I just out bid you on e-bay for the new style V-block. Thank you for the information.

Teaus

· Registered
836 Posts
ANTEAUS said:
I need a little help. I have stripped the takedown screw hole. Can anyone tell me the size of the takedown screw. Also if anyone knows where to get a helicoil and what size to get?

Teaus
ANTEAUS,

Try ************ for a nice replacement screw or do a little surfing as many stores/vendors sells replacement factory screws.

wmrimfire,22

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.