Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The two aftermarket bolt handles I'm aware of are the Volquartsen:

And the Power Custom:

I'm not sure if they qualify as "tactical" items.

·
36,633 Posts
Had not realized that 10/22 had become "Tactical" :eek: :confused: "Tactical" having to do with guns that are for fighting right? "Tactical" is a word derived from tatic. The only "tatics" my 10/22 was ever involved in was how to get a jackrabbit or golfball.

Is it just me or does it seem that in the shooting world right now all you do is paint it black and call it "Tactical" and it is a hit? I see a bunch of Varmint rifles painted black and called "Tatical". You know what that has done for our sport? It got Varmint rifles added to the list of things that people want to ban. WHY? Because instead of shooting ground squirrels with our varmint rifles they have become sniper rifles because "Tactical" implies shooting people. I swear we are our own worst enemies sometimes.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Jeff Cooper comment on "tactical"

This is a quote from Jeff Cooper in the Aug '04 issue of G&A:

We now discover that "tactical" has taken place along with "digital" as a synonym for "improved," "more efficient," or "better." I suppose this is because any suggestion that any article may have fighting as its purpose is unprintable, so we see tactical flashlights, tactical clothing, and, we can expect, tactical running shoes. Well, we keep up the struggle for clarity of expression. It is all uphill, but well worth it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
parshooter said:
Did you notice the sticky re: bolt handles above?

btw, the linked pic was too small to compare.
Yes, all are the curved style that are meant for your finger. I blew the pict up a bit.

EDIT:

Opps... didn't see there was a second page, thx!

Vincent:

You boys have obviosuly never bird hunted in below freezing weather wearing thick gloves trying to rack the chamber on a shotgun and the curved bolt handle. Enter in the "tactical" bolt handle, it works much better with gloves or if you hands are wet with mud from laying in a rice field hunting geese. Once you get to used to that style, you really don't like the curved one.

Here is a link to brownells:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...=5798&title=BENELLI/BERETTA+LARGE+BOLT+HANDLE

Don't be so quick to judge next time.

Thx for the link gsonnenmd

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Drundel said:
You boys have obviosuly never bird hunted in below freezing weather wearing thick gloves trying to rack the chamber on a shotgun and the curved bolt handle. Enter in the "tactical" bolt handle, it works much better with gloves or if you hands are wet with mud from laying in a rice field hunting geese. Once you get to used to that style, you really don't like the curved one.
Drundel,

I think the Volquartsen will serve your purpose well. It is larger, longer and straight. I have one on one of my rifles and it works well with gloved hands. Here's a link to the VQ bolt handle:

VQ bolt handle

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Personally I really like the 10/22 Magnum's charging handle better than any aftermarket unit I've tried. It's an easy "transplant" onto the LR. But, as gsonnenmd suggested, it sounds like the VQ is going to serve the purpose much better for you.

Not to hijack your thread, but I have to weigh in on the whole "tactical" thing.
It's interesting to see firsthand how "tactical" can become "practical".
Years ago a very good friend of mind who has gone through a decades long battle with leukemia and the associated (and very unpleasant) treatments ranging from radiation to bone marrow transplants and is a MAJOR hunting enthusiast came to the gun shop I ran with a problem. In the years following the bone marrow transplant he developed joint problems to the point that his wrists would not bend far enough to get a proper, comfortable grip on a conventional sporting shotgun stock.
A moment later I set up a Mossberg M500 with a Choate "Tactical" Pistol-Grip stock that he has used to hunt ducks and pheasant to this day.
It fit him perfectly and more importantly, it put him "back in the game". People kept asking him where he got "a police shotgun with a 26" barrel"! :p
In the end, a "tactical" stock solved his problem.

Now, over 10 years later, a "Tactical" style stock seems to have solved one of mine.
After having my left shoulder permanently damaged in a car accident in 1999, I've found it impossible to shoot anything offhand with any degree of comfort. I tried using my Volquartsen Carbon-Fiber THM barreled action in a Barracuda, the skeletonized, lightweight "Warlock" stock of my own design, and others, all to no avail. 10 minutes of firing and I was done!
I own a lot of bipods! :D
When the AW Ban sunsetted, I got the itch to build one more "assault weapon" before the next ban! :rolleyes:
Enter a Choate "Tactical" Pistol-Grip 10/22 stock with a forward "accessory" rail and a vertical grip I installed during the build just because it "looked" right for the style.
I went out to break in the action and fired about 400 rounds through it, all offhand. As I was putting the cased rifle back in the car, I realized that my shoulder felt much better than it should have.
I traced the "comfort" factor back to the AR-type vertical forward grip, and the fact that I was either pushing it forward or pulling it back (either way worked) to support the forend instead of holding up the forend with verticle pressure using the damaged shoulder in a completely different way.
I picked up an RB Precision "Evolution" stock which accepts all AR-15 stocks and grips to see exactly how comfortable I can get an offhand gun to be for myself. The forend grip is already installed. :t
For the first time in 6 years I'll have two 10/22s that are actually enjoyable enough to go out and just plink with without a bench rest!
So gents, are these two 10/22s "tactical" or "practical"?
Let's face it; a Barracuda would just plain look silly with a vertical fore-grip.

Ok, I do admit to having some hi-caps around… I HATE reloading magazines! :rolleyes:

Just The View From Here! ;) - Dakotan

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Vincent said:
Had not realized that 10/22 had become "Tactical" :eek: :confused: "Tactical" having to do with guns that are for fighting right? "Tactical" is a word derived from tatic. The only "tatics" my 10/22 was ever involved in was how to get a jackrabbit or golfball.

Is it just me or does it seem that in the shooting world right now all you do is paint it black and call it "Tactical" and it is a hit? I see a bunch of Varmint rifles painted black and called "Tatical". You know what that has done for our sport? It got Varmint rifles added to the list of things that people want to ban. WHY? Because instead of shooting ground squirrels with our varmint rifles they have become sniper rifles because "Tactical" implies shooting people. I swear we are our own worst enemies sometimes.
Tactical= paint it matt black, add $100 to price for being "tactical" and market to a large percentage of gun owners, while poor little me would be happy with the normal "non tactical" item that often times could be had in the same matt black. :confused:

That said, I think tactical has become a "look" that people like, to me tactical would look like a Rem 700 LTR, usable, nothing flashy

Hmm maybe I went way off course here :p

Clint

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ain't it funny

If you like the part and can afford it, go for it. I do agree with PD about it being silly to see everything done to the 10/22 these days. The little ol 22 has been a plinking and hunting rifle for so many years. I took my tactical 22 into africa an killed all manners of buffalo and elephant using the 22 bull nosed fmj solid bullet with 200 yard brain shots. The point to the tactical guns is to sell more guns to folks that want a gun that makes them feel like warriors. If you want to be all you can be, then by all means go be in the Army. If you want a fine functioning rifle, then do like most folks do and use the magnum handle on the 10/22. If you want something that looks different then use something that looks different. Just don't call it tactical. The 10/22 was never meant to be a military weapon so it is very hard to make it a ''Tactical" rifle. I know there are a bunch of folks who will be ticked off by this, but it is simply the facts. As far as Dakotan using a stock that worked for his friend, I wouldn't call a pistol grip stock tactical, just a better design for the problem. A true tactical rifle is used in Police or military service to attack an enemy.

·
36,633 Posts
Orthopedic

Is what I would call your stock Reed. The old Mossberg "Plinkster" from the sixties had that fold down fore end grip but nobody was calling it "tactical". Your solution is orthopedic. I've broken my back 3 times and I know all about orthopedic solutions to problems but that is most definately NOT TACTICAL.

It's just my opinion (and it may be unpopular) that this whole Tactical thing scares alot of non shooters just as we were winning our concealed carry rights straightened out and other Feinstein like gun control put in a box. When that Mod 700 with a scope was blue and walnut and we called it a deer or varmint rifle nobody wanted to take them away. Now we paint them black a show them "killing" man sized (and shaped) targets a half mile away they show up on every "takeaway list" and the news idiots are calling them over powered sniper rifles.

We even have magazine articles, many of them, that tell us that our "defensive battery" is incomplete unless we have a rifle that is designed to kill a person from far away. That fact is if they are that far away we have time to call the police, or run or any of a bunch of other things. We DON'T defend our selves from people far away. 90% of this tactical crap is just that, crap, B.S., poop, caca, excretment. But then that is just my opinion and everyone else is welcome to their's.

If you want to play Army or Cops and robber try paint ball. Too many wannbes. Too many mall ninjas (I learned that one from Snake :D).

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
If I put a bolt handle of that style on a pink/blue (peppermint) laminate Yukon style stocked 10/22 is it still "tactical" or do I have to paint it all black? :p
Gotta agree that "tactical" is WAY overused now-a-days. Take an item, paint it black and it's sudenly "tactical". At the same time it's so much better in every aspect that the price is increased exponentially. It's the mall-ninjas and wanna-bees that have made this term, and the marketing using it, so successful. Ergonomic is one thing, but "tactical"... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Here we go-
I think Hollywood really gave all-black guns a bad name. Back in WWII, the Garand was "tactical" because it was being used in a war to kill people. But answer me this: does the grandpa's M1 Garand look like it should be in crappy low budget Steven Seagal movie hitting people from 30 miles away in the eye and still sound like 9mm? Its the dang soccer mom anti-gun retards who see Steven Seagal on TV with a rem 700 painted black killing people, which means it should be taken away from innocent people who might use it a couple times a year to have a good time with his buddies getting rid of some ground hogs that have been digging holes in a friend's pasture and breaking his horses ankles, because sooner or later its going to be used to take out a politician or two. Chances are, that the only people that are going attack america are psychos, probably using romanian AK's because they're cheap, efficient and disposable. Not a $1,000,000,000 full auto .50 BMG submachine gun that reeks of Hollywood.
I believe, that these soccer moms have never seen a gun up close, but have only seen Steven Seagal shoot a man in the leg once with a .380 and kill him. After all this, grandpa's Garand is still a heck of a lot more powerful and accurate, and deadlier than muhammad's AK-47 POS. AND the garand is still in a walnut stock, alas, not all black.

Dear anti-gun soccer moms,
A man breaks into your house and is stealing your jewelry and your purse and is armed with a large hunting knife. You wake up, see the man, he sees you, and is running at you with this knife heading in the direction of your neck. what would you rather be armed with, a colt .45 or a soccer ball? Hmm... guns arent so bad after all. looks like one just saved your life. what a concept...

okay I'll stop. Im just mad because I just watched a Steven Seagal movie.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Main Entry: tac·ti·cal
Pronunciation: 'tak-ti-k&l
Function: adjective
1 : of or relating to combat tactics : as a (1) : of or occurring at the battlefront <tactical defense> <tactical first strike> (2) : using or being weapons or forces employed at the battlefront <tactical missiles> b of an air force : of, relating to, or designed for air attack in close support of friendly ground forces
2 a : of or relating to tactics : as (1) : of or relating to small-scale actions serving a larger purpose (2) : made or carried out with only a limited or immediate end in view b : adroit in planning or maneuvering to accomplish a purpose
- tac·ti·cal·ly /-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Maybe this will add some more to the post.

tactical does not seem to have as much of a "ban all guns" or "ban those guns" reaction than the term "assault weapon"

I have seen it on many forums someone wanting to turn a firearm into an assualt weapon, or make a urban assualt rifle, that seems to draw even my attention to be a bit weary of the poster. Very few people in the non gun nut world understands the terms, and terms like assualt, tactical gives an impression of people dressed in black on a killing spree, when in the real world thugs and trash driving by with a hi point or some other >$150 firearm ( prob half of that really) doing a drive by on family are what is really happening. At the same time we have a right to protect our self, and if we start depending 100% on another person, or group of persons to do that for us, we are going down hill.

Not sure if that was a rant or not :confused:

Clint

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
A tactical use for the 10/22

The Israeli's found a "tactical" use for the 10/22:

Israeli 10/22

I'm not trying to "stir the pot". I found this article and thought it would add to this thread.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My statement still stands

Tactical means what it means. If the Israeli's want to use it as a sniper rifle, it is their military using it and their choice is their choice. If my purpose was to kill, I would definitely use a highpower rifle to do it with. I know there have been many folks killed using the 22, but the round isn't considered to be an effective sniping round, up close and personal is another story. Folks these days are hooked on the "Tactical Rifle" fantasy. Just because it is painted or has a folding stock, doesn't make it tactical. Like I said earlier, if you want the look, go for it. Just stop calling it the Tactical "this or that". I know folks really like to be Rambo now an then in their backyard or their local range and say they are using a"Tactical Weapon", but looks are decieving. If you have a part that is ergonomically designed, call it the new "Ergonomically" designed part and leave the "wannabe military" name off since it isn't a military rifle by design.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Vincent said:
(Orthopedic) Is what I would call your stock Reed. The old Mossberg "Plinkster" from the sixties had that fold down fore end grip but nobody was calling it "tactical". Your solution is orthopedic. I've broken my back 3 times and I know all about orthopedic solutions to problems but that is most definately NOT TACTICAL.

It's just my opinion (and it may be unpopular) that this whole Tactical thing scares alot of non shooters just as we were winning our concealed carry rights straightened out and other Feinstein like gun control put in a box. When that Mod 700 with a scope was blue and walnut and we called it a deer or varmint rifle nobody wanted to take them away. Now we paint them black a show them "killing" man sized (and shaped) targets a half mile away they show up on every "takeaway list" and the news idiots are calling them over powered sniper rifles.

We even have magazine articles, many of them, that tell us that our "defensive battery" is incomplete unless we have a rifle that is designed to kill a person from far away. That fact is if they are that far away we have time to call the police, or run or any of a bunch of other things. We DON'T defend our selves from people far away. 90% of this tactical crap is just that, crap, B.S., poop, caca, excretment. But then that is just my opinion and everyone else is welcome to their's.

If you want to play Army or Cops and robber try paint ball. Too many wannbes. Too many mall ninjas (I learned that one from Snake :D).
Well, it stands to reason that the Mossy Plinkster wasn't called "tactical" in the sixties... it was the sixties. The term didn't really come into broad use until, as best as I recall, the early '80s.
Paintball gets a little difficult when you walk with a cane like I do, and it's never held much appeal to me anyway.
I hate doing laundry enough as it is. :D

You do make some very valid points, Vincent. Perception, and unfortunately not fact, seems to be everything these days.
It's what people see, not how things actually are, that influences their perceptions and therefore their opinions.
My uses were indeed ergonomic in nature, but the parts used are/were indeed labeled "tactical" by their own manufacturer(s), and were formerly regulated by the AWB.

But the reality is that when I show up at the range with this rifle (pic is not my own gun but virtually identical configuration) how many people will look over and say,
"Hey, look at that guy's orthopedic rifle"?:

I kind of have my doubts. But, with a bit of explanation, maybe.
But I swear, this is one COMFY gun for me! :t

Ask any gun shop owner or salesman, and he/she will tell you that ARs, M1As, AKs, and every other form of milsurp rifle, as well as the synthetic stocked, Heavy-Barreled Varmint rifles are flying off the shelves at present, and there's a reason for it.
A great case in point, the AR-15. They're available in so many different "mix and match" stock, grip, and forend configurations that you can fit one to anyone from a 6' 8" giant to a 7 year old with complete comfort, and build it up internally for anything from cheap centerfire plinking to the Camp Perry Matches! To say nothing of overall, everyday durability.

Now if we can just get more people to see their orthopedic value! :D
Seriously though, I'LL certainly be spreading the word on that! :t

Take Care! - Dakotan

·
Registered
263 Posts
cntryboy1289 said:
Tactical means what it means. If the Israeli's want to use it as a sniper rifle, it is their military using it and their choice is their choice. If my purpose was to kill, I would definitely use a highpower rifle to do it with. I know there have been many folks killed using the 22, but the round isn't considered to be an effective sniping round, up close and personal is another story.
Up close and personal IS a "tactic". It's called "stealth" :silly: I only witnessed the shot of a 10/22 with a fully suppressed barrel once and I was amazed!!! One of those could cause a LOT of damage in the wrong hands (or the right hands at a bad time). I was wondering when I was watching the movie "sniper" why they didn't have suppressed guns. I think a suppressed .22 would have to be much quieter than a suppressed gun of larger caliber but hadn't seen that yet.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.