Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice on a mount and scope for my 'tender. Whats the most solid mount and the min. I should look for in a scope?
I have a .223 Hunter and will soon have a .22lr and a .44 mag on the way soon.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
On the Super 14 .223 I once I owned I used Burris mounts/rings and a Burris 7X IER (Intermediate Eye Relief) parallax adjustable objective scope. The combo allowed sub MOA at 100 yards. This was a setup that was really best suited for shooting off a rest or bipods. For offhand use a scope with more eye relief would be better. The 7X IER is no longer made but can be found on eBay at times.

For my 357 10" bull barrel I have a Burris mount with Simmons steel rings and a Burris 4X LER (Long Eye Relief) PA scope and it works very well for me during bench or offhand shooting.

Both of my 10" 22 lr match barrels have Burris mounts and rings. One has a 2X Burris and the other a 2X-7X Burris. The 2x is very good for offhand shooting and has a great field of view - the 2X-7X can be used for offhand at low powers but is a very heavy scope.

For a really stable mount the Leupold mount has dual dovetails which menas there is nothing that could really work loose. The Burris mounts all have adjustable windage screws in the rear ring mount. Somethiong that could eventually loosen with the hard kicking guns like the 44 TC barrel. I also have a Leupold 2X scope on a revolver that would work well for a hunting scope on a 22lr , 357 or 44 TC barrel. No click adjustments if that is what you are used to - friction adjustments.

For my next barrel I am going to try the Leupold base maybe with Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. I have a Bullberry 357 match on order and I plan on getting another .223 barrel as well.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
On a LONG RANGE Varmint Handgun I much prefer the Burris 3x12x LER Plex PA Handgun Scope. I have one mounted on a Custom VVCG's 15" 6mm T/CU. This is mounted with a Weaver Base (that was modified to be a 6 hole mount as VVCG's drills & taps 6 holes in their Barrels) with 3 Vertical Split Scope Rings. This provides for a very solid mount, and is not too expensive.

I also have a 3x12x Burris LER Fine Plex PA Handgun Scope with Target Turrets on my Super 14" Match Grade .22 LR Barrel that I use for the E-Mail Bench Rest Matches. This one is mounted with a Weaver Base and Burris Zee Rings.

On my Super 14 .30-30 Ackley Improved Barrel I have a 2x6x32mm Bushnell Trophy Handgun Scope. This one again uses a Weaver Base (modified for 6 mounting screws) with 3 Rings as well.

As to what scope you need to put on your 14" Hunter in .223 is a matter of personal preference. If you are intending to shoot at long range, the 3x12x LER Burris Handgun Scopes have no peer. They are not only the highest magnification Handgun Scope available, they also feature Parallax Adjustable Objectives, and have excellent optics. I find I can shoot OK out to about 200 yards from a bench with Scopes in the 6x to 8x range, but if the range extends past that distance I want the magnification offered by the 3x12x Burris, and a sturdy rest of some sort.

On the other hand, for Deer Sized Game the 2x6x32mm Handguns Scopes have served me well over the years, and in fact I have used a fixed 4x on some of my Deer Hunting Handguns with good results.

Larry

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, you've given me some good food for thought.

:t :t

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.