Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

have never used a bi-pod before, a home made rest and bags, or just bags.
may wanna try a bipod, but have a que; are those swivel models capable of being "locked", so it DONT swivel if i so choose??

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Caldwell model has two "swivel" functions.

1. It has a pan in the horizontal plane (assuming you're holding the rifle horizontal) of 20 degrees that is accomplished by the single bolt connection between the cradle that attaches to the rifle and the leg assembly. It does not lock but has a small amount of internal resistance at this connection. As a result, it doesn't flop around either.

2. It also allows for canting of the rifle left or right from the vertical plane. If the ground is slightly uneven and you don't want to futz with adjusting the legs, this would let you correct back to get the scope and rifle in the same vertical plane. Again, this does not lock, but, in this case, it is spring loaded to bring the rifle back to a neutral position if slight pressure is not applied to maintain the cant.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think the Harris swivel models have a knob that adjusts the friction of the swivel joint. I assume that can be dialed up to essentially prevent movement, though I've not used one. (My Harris is a non-swivel model.)

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I have a Harris non-swivel and a Harris swivel model. The swivel model does not have a tension adjustment as questioned by MikeL (at least mine doesn't).

The swivel model would NOT be useful for precision bench shooting. I use it for hunting when I need to shoot prone on uneven terrain.

For bench / target shooting, I find my non-swivel model much more useful.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
gsonnenmd said:
I have a Harris non-swivel and a Harris swivel model. The swivel model does not have a tension adjustment as questioned by MikeL (at least mine doesn't).

the old original harris swivel bipods didnt have a tension adjuster as i remember. however, the current swivel bipods and the copycat Shooters Ridge swivel bipods do have tension adjusters and you can crank them "shut" if you use vise grips or that LEVER, for super leverage, sold at brownells if you want a rigid non-swivel bipod.

o yeah, the LEVER would replace the knurled knob at the rear of the bipod used for tension adj.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have at least 5-6 bipods that do not swivel--Harris and Outers. I have shot many big game animals and thousands of gophers using a non-swivel bipod and have never felt the need for a swivel model. Frankly, I have never understood the need for a swivel model. Having never used a swivel model I would think the swivel feature would eliminate the stability created by the non-swivel model.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Swivel or not???

I've got a Harris bipod that does swivel and don't know how I got along without it for so long. I use one on my deer and elk gun and find it most useful for shooting off of uneven ground. Shooting sticks are also great for this, but i won't take that Harris bipod off my gun. Mine also has the friction nut to tighten down or eliminate the swivel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The swivel is either on or off on the Harris or copies, the factory tensioning /tightening nut is hard to turn and it doesn't really easily give an in between setting. There is a "Pod-Loc" that replaces the nut and and gives you a lot more control and at least so far I've found I can get some middle ground with mine. The swivel apparently can be useful in a "tactical" situation, especially with the quick on-off from the lever when you don't have time to adjust the leg lengths.

For strictly bench use, I agree the swivel is an overkill bell and whistle.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My Harris works just fine as designed. The knurled tension knob provides adjustible tension and is easy to adjust, all the way to stable and solid. I worked the knob back and forth several times to loosen it up. Now it turns easy and smooth.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I like the swivel models for hunting varmints because it's easier and faster than adjusting the legs to get a level view. If your going to be sitting in one spot hunting or using it for a little bench work then the non-swivel model works great.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have both swivel and non swivel harris -9-12 inch and a 13-25inch swivel should be arriving shortly.

For the range I use the non swivel to eliminate cant.

For the field I use the cant (s class ) - and like others don't know how I got by without it! It is also always attached to the gun when I go out

The 13-25 inch swivel vesion is now on the way over so I can do sitting shooting - ideally for .22 with spotlight at night.

I also had the POD LOCK but took it off as unnecessary. - As it is easy to set the knurled tension knob to the level where the rifle simply is twisted to the cant desired then it stays there. The Pod Lock simply jutted out further and added no value to me. If you needed to change the tesnion frequently it would be excellent - however I cannot see why anyone would

So in the field - put the rifle down, twist to straten then aim and fire - very quick. I often walk around with the legs extended and often down on my Remmington 700 VS Varmint rifle - the legs stick out over my shoulder and it is quick to get into a firing postion. On my new shorter rifle I will generally leave the legs extended but proabably not have them down as the top of the stock sits below my shoulder

·
The Sledgehammer
6,259 Posts
This thread is 12 years old, but still pertinent. :)

I'm thinking about getting a Harris bipod, mostly for shooting off the bench and for local precision rimfire matches.
The non-swivel version costs less and seems to be preferred for my intention.
Are there any reasons that I should go for the swivel version?

·
Premium Member
10,302 Posts
If you will always be shooting from a level bench you won't need the swivel. I have some fixed ones and some with swivels that have a locking lever kit from D.I.P. installed for adaptability on non-level surfaces.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.