Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several questions. I thinking of putting an SVT in a Classic or Hunter stock to use as a squirrel gun. I haven't scoped the SVT yet so I may want to keep it as is. This is just to get some ideas.

Has anyone done this? Has anyone used a stock CVT as a hunting rifle? What kind of glass are you wearing? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
376 Posts
shooter

I,ve used my SVT hunting a few times.I've got a Weaver V-24 on it now.It's a pretty good shooter.When I get my rest,I expect my match scores to improve quite a bit.Mine likes WMT and Win Dynapoints.Haven't tried that many other brands of ammo though.I'll probably have to test some more pretty soon,the WMT is getting hard for me to find.

I like it for hunting.It's nice and short.I put another sling stud in the rear of the stock on mine to make it easier to carry.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I put my HS into a new Classic stock and it barely works--there isn't much wood left on each side of the barrel channel maybe 25 thousandths a side!! I'm pretty sure the SVT barrel is heavier thna the tapered HS barrel. You might be able to fit one into an HS stock-- by enlarging the barrel channel on it?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered a scope yesteday. I'll shoot it someas is before deciding what to do about chaning stocks. I found a set of Leupold bases on Gunbroker.com for $11. Called the store, Wholesale Hunters, and had a set mailed out. They are matte finish and sure beat the $41 Kimber wants. While I am waiting for the scope and bases to get here I'll add a sling swivel and pick up another sling.

I appreciate the suggestions. By they way, in the scope forum I asked about scope prices and someone posted a link to D&R Sports. They have the best prices on Leupold scopes I have been able to find anywhere. I picked up two 4.5-14X50 AO scopes for $494.44 each.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
D&R only had one scope in stock and I wanted two, one for the Ruger and one for the Kimber, so I am still waiting for them. They should be here before next weekend. I looked at the several other brands and for the price difference I was very tempted. However I live in a very small town and have no way to do a side by side comparison of the models I was interested in.

Long story short, I went with what I know. Leupold scoopes have been very good to me in the past. I have a known quality and service so I bought Leupolds. I wish I had access to some of the bigger stores that carry enough different brands to make in store comparisons. Most store around here carry BSA, Swift and Bushnell. A few might have one or two Nikons. I have seen only three Leupolds new in box within fifty miles of here and that was at the Academy Sports in Mobile.

But, That is the price I pay for living in PARADISE!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.