Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have a supressed rifle that they use for hunting or pest removal? If so can you give me some info on your rifle, what you hunt with it and how it preforms.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Ryan,

Now whatabout this, here in the UK where we are considered by our American cousins to be hard done by with regard to gun ownership etc, most people with a .22 Lr have a silencer/moderator/suppressor for it, and yet you gentlemen would be in trouble for having one, make sense out of that if you can.

However if you use one the real benfit comes from using subsonic ammo, as they do not suppress the sonic boom of a high velocity rounds. There is no effect on the performance of the round with one fitted, but make sure that your zero is not affected between with and without mode.

It is possible to sit/lay up of a night time and shoot rabbits, with the aid of a lamp, one after the other without their neighbours becoming too alarmed or upsetting anyone who lives nearby.

I look after rabbit control on the local golf course and the rabbits choose to do the most damage in an area 20/25 yards away from some houses, those people do not even know I am there, the only noise is the sound of the firing pin hitting home and the bolt being actioned. Oh and the sound of the rabbit headbutting the bullet :D . We love 'em.

John

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just as JohnB, says everyone here (in Britain) who shoots vermin (varmints) has a sound moderator.

In the late summer before it gets too dark and you have to go lamping, the first shot ,which, is quieter than the the click clack of the bolt of a 10/22 or the drop of the firing pin on a CZ causes a stir amongst the others because for a second or two they dont understand why their buddy dropped.

They all do that accomdating, lets stand up on our hind quarters to sniff and listen thing that rabbits are so good at.

Then next thing they sniff is normally 40grains of Winchester subsonic!

Go fill in the forms pay the man his $200 tax - you know you want to. You wont be sorry!

English.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
English...

I think that over here, some of the non gunners will only raise their noses a bit when they encounter a (gasp) hunter going about his business, but were they to encounter someone with a *silencer* outfitted rifle, they would immediately dial 911 in a panic and start crying about someone being up to terribly sinister motives.:(

The art of brainwashing is alive and well.. Surely, anyone with such an evil feature is up to no good.. even moreso than just with a rifle.

Ron

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't think that california allows suppressors. Would be great though! I can see it now, running through a field( correction, crawling) seeing the beast(the rabbit/squirrel) then squezing the trigger to hear a click. Now, does anybody have any info on a suppressor being mounted on a 22WMR? Noise wise?
Matt.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My Rabbit Rifles:

Hi Ryan,

I have two rifles that I use for pest control,

One is a (relatively) old Brno Model 2 (Thats the forerunner of the CZ452).

The other is a heavily modified 10/ 22.

This is as follows:

Ruger 10/22 with a Volquartsen Tensioned Carbon Fiber Barrel
with an adaptor for a 1/2" UNF threaded Sound Moderator.
Full Volquartsen Trigger and a bolt which is burnished and fitted with an "exact edge" extractor. Set into a Hogue overmoulded stock.

Both rifles are fitted with Parker Hale sound Moderators and Harris Bipods.

I generally use Winchester Subsonic or if not available Eley or RWS/Geco ammunition.

The Brno has a Nikko Sterling 4x30 scope with a German sniper post type reticule. On Tikka Rings.

The 10/22 has a Parker Hale Platignum 4-12x50 AO Scope on a set of high B-Square Mounts.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sorry Matt!

No I'm sorry I dont.

If you have a look in the CZ forum, Clanchief posted a couple of photos of his CZ.

Its the newer model in Stainless and he's had the barrel shortened but basically they are the same other than mines blue and has the stock barrel. His photos show a moderator which will be pretty much the same.

The 10/22 has a VQ barrel you remove the 32 hole compensator, screw on an adaptor which i think is 3/4 UNC to 1/2" UNF and then screw on the Moderator.

Perhaps JohnB has some Photos?

I'll try and get some put on CD but it wont be before the end of October.

Regards,

English.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
RedneckMatt,

You have to find something that is below hyper-velocity to use a supressor on it, I think...

If not, you wouldn't be able to sufficiently slow the load down below subsonic and when it exited the barrel, you would still hear the sonic-boom from it breaking the sound barrier.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.....?

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Viper..

True. In which case, you would be ahead in using a 22 long rifle. The reason? Why pay for magnum if you ain't got magnum.. and at that point in the scenario, a full lead bullet will perform better than a jacketed one... so you would be spinning your wheels regardless of any thing else.

Ron

·
Registered
70 Posts
No I have not got any photographs of my guns, sorry.

Ryan, for my rabbit control I use an American CZ lr with a caldwell bipod and RWS 3-9 x40 scope, the silencer is a Parker Hale which is threaded onto the barrel via the standard thread factory fitted to the rifle, it is bog standard except that I have lightened the trigger courtesy of Brookie's trigger kit. This gun is very fond of RWS subsonic rounds they have the edge over the Winchesters

Now I used to have 2 lr's but what with the way things are over here I had to get rid of one to get my WMR. Well, I didn't have to but this way I could walk into the Police HQ get what is known as a one to one variation, this just means I am selling one gun and acquiring another of the same calibre, done while I wait for free. If I did not do it this way it would have meant a load of form filling, paying a fee and the worse thing of all waiting, so I went the easy route. That is also a CZ American, with a Simmons 6.5-20 X44 A/O and a caldwell bipod. Obviously I do not use this in conjunction with a silencer, the sonic crack is still there, I tend to use this one when I am moving around from location to location as opposed to lying up in ambush. It also makes the foxes viable quarry. I have also done the trigger on this one. This is partial to the Winchester 34 gr Varmint round as they are known here, I think they are the Supreme on your side of the water, it also quite likes Federal 50 grainers.

Tonight it is the 22lr with the lamp on top as I am off to lay in ambush around the 5th green, the bunnies are not replacing their divots seemingly.:D

I also use a BSA air rifle when close to the road, and the clubhouse!

John

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Re: Matt Just for You..............

English said:
....BTW JohnB - Your last post gives a whole new meaning to I'll take the 5th on that.
BWAHAHAHHA...

Does that 5th apply on that side of the pond? :rolleyes:

.....OR are you using American slang to describe a bottle that you intend to "take"?

:D :D

Rom

·
Registered
319 Posts
The 5th?

Antlurz,

JohnB, said he was off to go shoot the bunnies on the "fifth green"

Keeping them thur wabbits in check on the golf course.

Thats why i used the analogy. Check back to his post.

Regards,

English

·
Registered
26 Posts
how about trying this ammunition

i use this ammunition . CCI 22 CB Long. remington makes a nice subsonic hollow point that performs well. these rounds happen to be quieter than most airguns. i have taken shots out to 100yds on chipmunks and had clean kills. i have taken a maine snowshoe hare. shot in the head. no problem with killing power with the hollow point. preferably i choose the remington subsonic over the cci only because the remington is a hollow point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't shoot my .22LR any other way than suppressed(i have the advantage of working for a company that manufactures suppressors). I have hunted with suppressed .22 for many years and can't imagine going without--it makes a big difference. I have two rifles i use primarily for hunting one for day one for night. My daytime shooter is an Anschutz 64 with a T36 scope full length barrel with a Tac-ord Wildcat thread on can. For night shooting i use a Marlin 7000T with Gen III Pantera Day/Night rifle sighting system and IR designator, barrel is cut to 16.5" and also uses a Wildcat can. In the case of the 7000T the rifle accuracy was much improved by the addition of the can.

·
Registered
615 Posts
peregrine,

That type of setup down here is asking for trouble. First and foremost, we can not hunt at night, with the exception of racoons. Not even coyotes. Second, night optics are not allowed. I'll have to check our laws, but I don't think supressed rifles are allowed even in the daytime.

Anschutz in the woods? OK, but not needed, and likely will get beat up pretty bad. Stock would be cumbersome as well, not to mention the scope.

If you like this setup and it is legal that's fine. I'm not trying to tell you what to use. Our laws are very friendly compaired to most states.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.