Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Varminter worth the extra $100?

If I read past posts correctly and from the CZ site, all 452 actions are identical. What therefore would make the Varminter or even the American worth $100 more? (besides the stock differences)

Is the Lux or Super Lux anywhere comprable to a low-mid end Anschutz in terms of accuracy? I know the trigger won't be as nice, but for half the price, I am looking very hard at the CZ452.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
As far as I know the actions on all the 452's are identical. The stock is different. The varmint has a heavy barrel with a barrel lug and one action screw. The american has no barrel lug and 2 actions screws. All three guns have a different feel to them. You need to ideally handle them to feel the difference.

I have a varmint, but I am partial to a heavy barrel. I like the american for the two action screws. I am pretty sure that the lux is set up like the varmint with a barrel lug. The torque setting for the barrel lug just seemed to finicky for my tastes and I tossed the barrel lug and went with a small pressure point out on the forend and it is shooting quite a bit better than original.

·
Registered
820 Posts
JH225

As far as the monetary value, your probably right about the stocks being different.....and some people would prefer the Walnut over the Beech. But you can't compare the American to the other models.
This probably won't answer your question about a Lux or Special shooting as good as an Anshutz. Though I would bet my money on an Anshutz, right out of the box.
To answer the $100 difference between the models.....that would have to be personal preference.
BUT.....I personally like my American the best, and it, IMO is well worth the extra money. Looking on Hind Sight, I would have never bought my Special, and rarley use it.
The American is different from all the other models, First of all it has a Deep high luster Blued action and barrel. It has the two action screws and fully floated barrel, and has a 3/8" dovetail opposed to the 11mm dovetail.....not a big deal but a difference. I also like the sleek compactness of the American and the way the stock feels when using a scope.
The Lux and Special's although can be scoped, are really designed to be shot with iron sights.
I had a scope on my Special for a while. I used medium millet rings to keep the scope as low as possible but IMO, it never felt right with a scope, but shines using the Iron sights with one of Brookie's peep sight blades instead of the original V-notch blade.
I have shouldered the Ultra Lux.....it will most likely be liked by someone that likes a real looonnng baarrrellled rifle.....I personally like a short, light rifle to hunt with.....
Oil Well, That's where my Scout Shines :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.