Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for a lever action .22LR to be used in NRA Silhouette Cowboy Rifle shoots? Some I am considering are:

• Henry (seem to be a few options)
• Marlin 39AS
• Winchester 9422

Any other suggestions? It is my understanding that the Ruger 96/22 is not an option, since a tube magazine is required.

Also, I think I would like to shoot with a tang site, so I would prefer a rifle that has a tang site available that would not require gunsmithing. If I can avoid paying a gunsmith, I can put more money into the rifle and site. Any experience with either the Lyman or Marble with any of these rifles?

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
I shoot LOTS of Cowboy .22 silhouette, 2-3 times a week sometimes. I have had great success with a 39a golden using a Marbles tang sight and a Lyman 17a front sight, with a post insert. Several of my freinds in the same shooting club use this same setup, I feel it is about as good as you are going to get. The Marbles sight costs a little more but you get quite a bit more, it is a top quality item. You will have to get a gunsmith to drill and tap one hole, doesnt cost that much. If and when you decide to get the Marbles sight and the Lyman front, Brownells is the place to go, and you really need to email their tech support before you order and tell them what you are doing so you are sure to get the right sight, there is a little glitch in the part #'s in the Browells catalog, also you might contact Marbles direct for further guidance. Anyway, stay in touch on this and good shooting. :t

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
I set up my old 39A with a Marble's Tang Sight and didn't have to do a thing. It seems to work okay with the factory front sight. Maybe the fact that this is an older rifle has something to do with it.

Anyway, it is a great setup. Natural to shoulder and just plain feels good. :D

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
Wolf, I did not mean to imply that he needs the 17a if he installs the Marbles, the stock front sight will work just fine, I just prefer a post over the bead and the shade around the front sight so I dont have to worry about the sun on it. Best Regards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 17a on a Mossberg 144 LSB, and a larger version on my Valmet three position gun. Is this type of front site legal in NRA Silhouette Cowboy Rifle?

·
Registered
579 Posts
What about a old Win 74 or 63?

They have a tube magazine in the stock? Is that legal? A win 74 would be a tough rifle to beat accuracy wise. I shot my first cowboy with a old 39a two weeks ago and shot "A" class. Not bad for a midget in a wheelchair! Oh does anyone compeat in a wheelchair on a national basis? If I get good can I compeat or is sitting down not a option? I'm new to sillywet. Bilrus61

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
The NRA .22 Cowboy Metallic Silhouette rifle has to be a lever, pump or semiauto, no bolts. It has to have a tubular magazine, no box magazines. It has to be a stock unmodified rifle with the exception of the sights, they can be any cataloged item that is designed to fit that particular rifle. Tubular magazine in the stock is OK. I put a 15X target scope on my marlin 39a just to test some ammo, if you try this you will be very pleasantly surprised, the little lever gun really shoots if you feed it the right ammo . Dont know if anyone competes from a wheelchair on the National level but no reason why not, get to shooting!!

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
Correct. Remember that the intent and spirit of the activity is use old timey rifles, such as lever actions and early semiautos or pumps. The new stuff kinda takes the fun and flavor out of it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Bilrus,

NRA has some folks that work on competition opportunities for people with wheel chairs or other physical disabilities/challenges/etc. Used to be a guy named Baskin (many years ago). I'd contact the NRA Competitions Division just to chat with them. I think you will find that local competitions would be glad to have you.

PAndy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great info guys! I went to last weeks NRA Houston show and WOW is all I have to say.:)

Can someone compete with a Henry Lever action? They seem to cycle really smooth and look great..

I was thinking of the Henry .22 lever action carbine.

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
Dont know much about the Henry, although couple of guys in our club use them. The Marlin seems to be more accurate judging from the scores these guys shoot, probably due in part to the longer sight radius. They are both looking for Marlin 39's. Special order at Wallyworld $358.00, worth the extra money IMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.