Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks. I'm new to this forum but not rimfires. I have been shooting them since I was a kid. I am considering getting my first Anschutz sporter. This rifle would be used primarily for informal target practice with only occasional small game hunting. Could you recommend an Anschutz model that would meet my needs. I currently have a CZ Special that is a decent rifle with the exception of the stock. I do not like schnabel fore ends. Thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I recently bought my first Anschutz ... a 64 MPR stainless barrel from Champion Shooters Supply. I am extremely pleased and would get it again in a heartbeat. With ammo it likes (Wolf ME, CCI Greentag), I can get 1/4 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards from a rest. You will likely want to put a scope on it ... I used my 20 year old Leupold VariX III 6.5 x 20 - 40 AO but it can only be parallax adjusted down to about 45 yards or so. Only possible downside to this combo is it weighs about 10 pounds .... heavy for hunting but great from a rest.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My 64 MPR w/stainless barrel was about $670. I think the blue barrel is about $600. Call Champion Shooters and they can give you the current prices. I had my local shop buy from Champion and they sold it to me for the Champion price .... without my having to pay shipping.

... Retiree

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would have to agree with retiree, the 64 MPR is a heck of a deal for the money, and just about perfect for the uses you mentioned.
(Informal target and occasional hunting).The ones at our local range are outshooting the 54 actioned guns consistently.I'm definetely going to be picking one up before long.I was about to buy one a few weeks ago, and came across a 54 sporter in .22 mag. on this board, and can't complain one bit about it either. It shoots very good, and is an absolute joy to shoot. It fits like a third arm.The 1517 mpr, is also extremely accurate from what I've seen.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1451R?

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the catalog on the Anschutz site and viewed the models. I like both the 1710 and the 64 MPR models. The 64 MPR might be a little heavy for hunting but looks ideal for bench target work. I also saw the 1451R which is supposed to be the low end sporter rifle. Does anyone have any experience with this rifle?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Forget the 1451. It is a rifle that Anschutz should be ashamed to make. The target version is decent in that it is about the only youth target 22 available. The 1451 is very poor compared to the 64's and the 54's. Specifically the trigger is what is bad. The modern 64 triggers are really very good. The 54 sporter triggers are very good too and the 54 match triggers are probably the best triggers made. If you are in the 1451 budget range then get a CZ you'll have a much better rifle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.