Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Remington 597, and so far have been rather happy with it. However, I'd like to be able to get a scope for it. This is just going to be for plinking cans, bottles, targets, etc. I have a scope...a 4x15 I paid 7 bucks for at walmart. It's crap (mostly due to the x15 IMO). I figure a 3-9x40 would do the trick. Any recommendations for a decent (not great) scope for $70 or less? I've found the following....how good are they?

Simmons 3-9x40 for $35
Bushnell 3-9x32 Sportsman or $40
Bushnell 3-9x40 Sportsman for $60
Bushnell 4-12x40 Sportsman for $70

Not sure of the model of the simmons, I couldn't find it on their website. Guess the only other ones I've found at that price are the Bushnell Sportsmans....how good are they? Will they do the trick?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I like Busnnell scopes. I have been using several of them for many years. I bought a used, like new, Sportsman 4x12 AO off Ebay recently for $45 including shipping. It is mounted on my 10/22.
The optics are not as clear as more expensive scopes but not bad. Staring through it for long bench sessions does cause some eye fatigue. I don't think that it is as clear as the Bushnell 4x12 AO Sportview that I have on my Remington 581.
My 10/22 is sighted to be dead on with high velocity ammo at 25 yards and, logically, is almost dead on at 50 yards. Last weekend I moved the target to 100 yards and fired 10 shots which were centered, as you would expect, about 5 inches low. I moved the elevation adjustment up 20 clicks and fired several 10 shot groups which were now well centered on my point of aim. I moved the target back to 25 yards, moved the scope adjustment back down 20 clicks and was dead on again!
Not bad for a $45 scope!
:D
GHP

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Avoid "DeerGetter" Scopes

scrabbledealer,

Any of those 'Mart' scopes are most probably your generic 3 - 9X 40mm "DeerGetter" centerfire riflescopes, and, as such, are focused for 100 to 150 yards, far beyond the normal rimfire ranges...! ! :(

This will result in parallax of +/- 1/2" or more at normal rimfire ranges...! ! :eek:

You would be better off looking for a "rimfire", "rimfire - airgun", or a scope with an AO. All of these type scopes are, or maybe, focused for normal rimfire ranges...! ! ;)

Some options are the "Simmons" 22 Mag line of rimfire scopes...! !

Hope this helps...! ! :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
70 bucks shipped

I recently purchased a Bushnell 3-9x32AO through Midway and am sooo happy with it. Delivered to the house for 68bucks and change. This is a gloss scope with target turrets, looks and performs awesome.
Matt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For mostly general plinking, is it really worth it to save up and get a 100-150 dollar scope? Especially considering the rifle was only 140. :confused: Or, for my purposes, would a <$50 .22 scope probably do the trick?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
scrabbledealer,
suggest <$70 scope for 597 for plinking?
Did you change your criteria...? ? :confused:
I was getting the impression they were cheap, guess they're good enough.
You should buy a riflescope by model, not brand...! ! :eek:

"Simmons" makes some very good scopes for the money, and they also make some entry level trash for the 'Marts' and discount houses...! ! :(

The 22 Mag line of scopes are very good inexpensive scopes.

The 44 Mag line of scopes are very good medium priced scopes.

The WTC line of scopes are very good medium priced scopes.

The "Simmons" 'Deerfield' and '8 Point' lines are entry level, like the "Blazer" * 6x24x50--$59.00 at "Natchez"....! ! :(

* The "Blazer" brand is made by "Simmons".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You should buy a riflescope by model, not brand...! ! :eek:
yes, yes, i know that. sheesh. i merely meant that I'd get a bottom to mid range simmons, rather than Leupold or Nikkon. I haven't changed my criteria, maybe just my ideal price point.

thanks for mentioning the 8-Point line, that's one I'm considering that I've found in 3-9x40 for $35 local. That, or a 22 mag (since it's FOR a .22).

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
"some entry level trash"

scrabbledealer,

Maybe my 'PC' phrasing of "some entry level trash" wasn't clear:

Avoid these scopes...! ! :eek:
0 8-Point
0 Blazer
0 Deerfield
0 BuckGetter, DeerSlammer, Etc.

Not only are they entry level [cheap] 'Mart' scopes, they are designed for centerfire big game rifles, and as such, are focused for 100 to 150 yards, well beyond the normal rimfire ranges...! ! :(

So, on top of a marginal image because of the cheap optics, it would also be out of focus, and you'll have +/- 1/2" of parallax at 50 yards...! ! :( :(

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
FWIW
I had an 8Point wouldn't hold zero....pain in the rear.

I have a Simmons 22Mag 3x9 (non-A/O), on my main hunting .22LR. Never have had a problem with it. In fact, I am thinking of getting another to put on my hunting 10/22Mag. They are a good deal cheaper now then when I bought mine. The crosshairs are fairly course, but this is good for my purposes. Still good enough that I can regularly shoot .25" groups at 25yds with it.

I wish you well,
Macc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.