Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding subsonic's, how would you compare them? Not only accuracy wise, but performance wise, on small game. I've been using Rems, but I hear about inconsistancy issues. Also I know winchester has softer lead and CCI harder, but what about the Rems?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Used plenty of Wolf ME last year, 1033 speed. Headshots take the rabbits out every time. Just ordered 2 bricks of Aguila Subsonic (1025 fps) to play with as well, but it won't be here for a week or so.

Slower stuff works fine for me, but I'm always searching for good faster stuff just so I don't have to worry about as much bullet drop at longer ranges when out hunting.

Other than that, I could live with the slower stuff like Wolf ME all the time since it tends to be more accurate and makes those head shots that much easier. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have been using Eley club-xtra 40 grn. Only for sub-sonic in my Volq. 10/22
I find that I need to keep my shoots 50 yrd. and Under to count on any acceptable kill power on ground squirrel etc. and a head shoot is preferable for a quick end.
Sub. is -nothing- in comparison to High-Velocity / the Big-Plus is the lack of Muzzle Blast.
The lack of helps to Not Disturb the other possible Candidates for Extermination...... :D
Less power but Sub. is a gain in accuracy if you know your rifle and it has a quality Barrel and chambered for Match.
Less power means you better be on target.
My S&W 22-A is not chambered Match but I use it in it as well for the short shoots
The 5 1/2 " barrel is twice as loud as the Volq. carbon tension. on the 10/22 though.
I just ordered 3 more bricks of club-X for the summer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was using RWS Subsonic for dispatching pests around the farm.
I've switched to Remington Subsonic basically because I ran out of RWS.
I found the Remington shoots flatter for some reason.
The Remington has a good bit of penetration at 125 yards.
I was checking my drop at long range and used a 1/2" plywood backer.
The bullets punched through the ply with no issues and were firmly embedded in the locust post behind it.
I had to carve 1/4" of wood away to extract the bullets which were expanded to 3/10".
Granted wood and critter are different, but I wouldn't hesitate to take a long shot if you can make it. :D
I've been thinking about trying more ammo at long range with more barriers to see what penetrates and what breaks up.

·
Registered
644 Posts
CCI Subsonic HP seems to be consistent in my VQ Carbon Fiber. close to 1/2 inch grouping at 50yds. Hope to have a really calm day to see just how good it is. That is my prefered hunting load. If I's not available I usually use CCI Standard Velocity. Haven't really bothered with the high vel stuff. If the wind ever calms down on one of my days off I have to boxes of CCI Velocitors that I want to check for accuracy. However I do prefer the quieter ammo when hunting for rabbits and squirrels.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My Sako Finnfire and two CZ Styles like Remington Subs the best, but then I've only tried CCI, and PMC. Neither of them like CCI Subs at all and they have some weird bullet shape and weight that does not work well in a lot of the guns I've tried them in. They are especially bad in semi's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In my rifle RWS Subsonics stomp the Remingtons in terms of accuracy.
The RWS drop a good bit more than the Remingtons.
I sent some to a friend who has a chronograph to compare them.

RWS 874,857,857,876,921,831,889,849,798 >861

Power Point 1106,1120,940,1000,1056,1090,1080,1026,1084 >1055

T22 1026,1016,1000,1025,1000,1023,993,1039,998,1029 >1015

Remington SS 990,949,980,910,979,978,920,949,921,991 >956

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I use Eley for hunting and Aguila for plinking The Eley seem to have a softer lead and definatly have a larger HP than most other ss type ammo. 1085 for the Eley and 1050 for the Aguila's from my 880. POI change is unnoticaable at 25yds at 50 it is about 2".

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I shoot the Aguil subsonic. It's accurate out of most of my rifles--but not the best in any of them.

Interestingly, it really works well in my son's Henry Golden Boy. Very accurate and low noise.

I find that Dynapoints, which is semi-subsonic--shoots well out of just about every gun I have.

BTW, what is the subsonic speed cutoff? I know it varies with altitude and temperature.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Pecci said:
Steinie, where did you get your Aguila? Let us know how they shoot.
Well, it shot really bad outta both my Annie 54.18's. Has potential, but no consistency. 3 shots in the same hole, then the other two are half an inch or further away. The next mag would have 3 in one hole and then put 2 in another hole 3/4 of an inch away. Really weird. Shot that way outta both Annie's. Was hoping for better.

Shot some Wolf to make sure it wasn't just me, and yup, back to single hole groups immediately with the Wolf ME.

Left the brick of ammo at the club with a sign on it "FREE, take me if you need some ammo." :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I ran out of RWS Subsonic, CCI Subsonic and CCI Standard Velocity. So I tried Winchester XPERT 22, 36 gr Hollowpoint. I haven't chronographed this yet but it seems subsonic. It is very cheap at $ 10.99/500 at Gander Mtn. It shoots great in my P22 and is pretty quiet when I attach my suppressor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 10/22 shoots subsonics as follows:
1-RWS
2-Eley
3-Wolf
4-Remington/Eley Target
5-Aguila
It's a close race between the first four with the Aguila just a hair behind them in terms of accuracy. I stopped buying the Remington SS's a long time ago due to their inconsistency.
As far as hunting I use the Aguila most times because I keep more of them on hand. Since one of my 10/22's is suppressed I tend to shoot alot more than most when squirrel hunting. The Aguila is half the cost of RWS without giving up too much in the accuracy department so it makes sense for me.
Largest game to date has been a nice boar ****. Single head shot from inside 25 yards and it was lights out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.