Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever fired sub-sonic .22 ammo through a Ruger 10-22? I have heard conflicting reports about the performance of sub-sonic rounds and was wondering if anyone has any advice. Thanks!:D

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've read that some people like the Aguila SSS but it isn't accurate... some like the Super Colibri... I haven't heard anything about the remington SS, but I wouldn't expect much from them... I've decided to try the CB longs, they seem to be best. But you're probably better off just going to your local sporting goods and getting a little of each and trying them.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Rem subsonics are still loud to me, but they do cycle the action.
CB Longs have almost no powder, so they are quiet and they are available at some stores like longs drugs (super quiet) wont cycle action, you have to do it SLOWLY due to them being long and not long rifle.
Colibris are hard to find, and i dont want to pay shipping for a brick unless i have tried em. And noone wants to send me 2 or 3 ;)
They are fun and cool. Close to scilent as you can get without a supressor :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I just recently tried several types of "low noise" ammo. Got several covert missions planned involving groundhogs in a town setting. I tested:

Aguila Colibri
Aguila Super Colibri
Aguila .22-SSS
CCI CB longs
Rem Sub Sonics

Tested in a bolt action target rifle

Super Colibri
Definetly the quietest. I hear the hammer drop and the bullet hit the target. No crack or bang what-so-ever. Accuracy was decent out to 25 yards, didn't try past that.

Colibri
Accuracy was same as above. This stuff actually has a slight "crack" when fired.

.22-SSS
This stuff has a 60 gr. bullet. Certainly hard hitting, but trajectory of a greased brick. I shot it as far as 50 yards and could still hit a soda can, but had to hold over.

CB longs
CCI always seemed to have good stuff and the CB's are no exception. These have a little crack to 'em and accuracy is good. I used to shoot a lot of Rem's CB longs and they were a huge waste of a cardboard box. CCI's are tons better in the accuracy department

Sub Sonics
A big improvement over Rem's CB's, These are hollow point and have a little more power behind them. Accuracy still good enough to hit a can at 50, but still gotta hold over. Makes a great varmint round when noise needs to be suppressed but the extra "umph" is needed and the hollow point can't hurt.

Hope this helps. Not claiming to be an expert. Wouldn't mind hearing other's experiences.

steve

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
My neighbor has a gun shop, a very good one at that. He TRIES to keep the stuff in stock. After trying the Supers at the range, I went and bought the last 4 boxes he has.

He may do mail order, I can check for you, if interested.

I'm beginning to understand that this ammo is hard to come by?? It seems he can't keep enough on hand. He stocks most of Aguila's .22 ammo.

steve

·
Registered
536 Posts
If i could get a price on a few boxes (want to try it before i buy a brick or two) that would be great, and any estimate on shipping to colorado would be appreciated!
the stuff sounds soo cool, but i dont want to buy a brick or two with $10 shipping to find that i dont like it lol.
thanks man

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I paid $2.80/box plus Pa sales tax. I never saw whole bricks of Aguila for sale at his shop. Seems the distributers must ration this stuff to the dealers and he can only manage to get a few bricks at a time.

Let me check his site and see if he has 'em listed. Maybe you can order on-line with him.

steve

·
Registered
536 Posts
aguila super colibri is 550 fps :) that sounds like what you want.
but the cb longs are easily available :) the colibri's have to usualy be ordered prices range from $15 - $25 a brick without shipping. Try some longs, they were quiet enough to use in my basement a few times :D (though i dont reccommend it, in reflection it was kind of a bad idea)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey guys,

there's also another subsonic out there, its SK subsonic. You can get it at Champion's Choice, at (615)793-4066, I have be shooting it at ARA 50 yard matches with very good results. Their part number is #420110, $6.00 per 100 and its a hollow point also. Very good results out of a bolt gun. Hope this helps! I'm shooting in the high .1's & low .2's at 50 yards with this ammo.
Ricky

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
OnTarget said:
I need something no louder then an air rifle. something 550-675fps. When you say " it has a little crack to it " how loud is it?
The Super Colibri makes no noise at all. Just the sound of you pulling the trigger and dropping the hammer.

"it has a little crack" would mean there is a slight "snap" when the round goes off.

hope this clears it up.

steve

·
Registered
310 Posts
Re: Hey guys,

ricky9x22 said:
there's also another subsonic out there, its SK subsonic. You can get it at Champion's Choice, at (615)793-4066, I have be shooting it at ARA 50 yard matches with very good results. Their part number is #420110, $6.00 per 100 and its a hollow point also. Very good results out of a bolt gun. Hope this helps! I'm shooting in the high .1's & low .2's at 50 yards with this ammo.
Ricky
What's the fps on that ammo?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Eley makes a round called Zimmer. A friend of mine ordered some a few years back and it is very accurate and quiet. It drops about 5" at 50 yards when you are sighted in for regular ammo though. Maybe someone here knows about it. I still have a couple of boxes left--I'm guessing it's around 600 to700FPS?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Zimmers are quite popular here in Europa.
They are not LR , but .22 Short, Ithink , its been a while. They contain very little powder, hence , very little sound. I've tried them out in a friends rifle and it makes little more sound than an airgun.
I just bought my own rifle , and I'll try to buy some zimmers and get a range report , okay.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey Ontarget,

I'm not sure of the fps, I have not yet run it across my graph, I think its in the ballpark of 1030's, but I could be very wrong. I will try and check this out for you.
Good shooting to you,
Ricky

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.