Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Weaver base on my 10-22 with Leupold QRW rings and was having problems with the scope. I couldn't get the scope far enough forward and was uncomfortable. I found a Leupold base with the front dovetail and rear windage screws and they would allow me to mount the scope farther forward. Sounds great so far right?

I had had the base on for a few years and 3 of the screws on the weaver base were still tight, after removing the base I lined the Leupold base up and started all 3 screws. After getting one kinda tight I switched to the others. They got kinda snug and then just kept turning and turning! :eek: PERFECT! Tried the other 2 carefully... same story! :mad:

I tried the weaver base again and yep you guessed it the holes are stripped out. The Leupold and weaver screws won't work!

What should I do?? Would oversize screws be the answer or do I need to get the receiver retapped??? What would that run???

ANY advise would be most welcomed! Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Some gunsmiths can do an oversize drill and tap job. JB weld may be appropriate for a glue job. My solution would be an aluminum repair by welding or casting new metal threads around the exact bolts you intend to use.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Go oversize.
if you have a drill press its a simple matter of keeping the reciever flat and square.
Mine are all tapped to #8-32, drill out the weaver base to accept the larger screws and c'sink it to bury the head of a standard #8-32 Flat Head Cap Screw.

·
Registered
20,842 Posts
I never use red Locktite..just blue (med. strength and removeable) and that's plenty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never use red Locktite..just blue (med. strength and removeable) and that's plenty.
I'm really scared I've tore too much of the threads up! There is very little the screws are catching on now. If I can get that Leupold base attached, I don't care if it stays there forever.

I'm just concerned it won't work. :(

I ordered the screws earlier today, Brownells ROCKS I bet I have them tomorrow. IF I can't make it work I might have to buy another 10-22 RB and change all my parts over and sell the bad receiver with the unused parts for $100-$130 to someone who doesn't care about a scope.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Go oversize.
NEVER go bigger then you have to!

If the 8-40 strips your pretty much much SOL after that. Get the .146 screws from Brownells, then 30 years from now if it strips again then you can go 8-40

Hot tip...save yourself the $26 bucks, since you get 12 in the pack if you have a dremel make your own tap. Put a tapper on the end then cut a slit up each side....presto....insta tap :D And what Chaser said, a dab of blue Loc-Tite is all you need

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm really scared I've tore too much of the threads up! There is very little the screws are catching on now. If I can get that Leupold base attached, I don't care if it stays there forever.

I'm just concerned it won't work. :(

I ordered the screws earlier today, Brownells ROCKS I bet I have them tomorrow. IF I can't make it work I might have to buy another 10-22 RB and change all my parts over and sell the bad receiver with the unused parts for $100-$130 to someone who doesn't care about a scope.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll keep you posted.
the over size screws require an oversize tap too, if you didn't get the tap DA has a good idea to create a tap from one of the screws. Not best solution but it will work in Aluminum.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got the screws from Brownells today. They look like it's gonna work, they screw in with a little force but I think it will turn out ok. The ONLY catch is the screws are too long, what is the easiest way to shorten them? Benchgrinder / Dremel??

Thanks for all the help so far!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks to everybody for all the help. I shortened the screws this morning, and got the base tightened down.

I did use the red loctite, I dropped 2 drops on the threads in the middle and then pinched the screw with a paper towel, when I looked at the screw I could just see a light coat of red. Did I use enough??

My next day off is Thurs, so I'll find out how I did! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got back from the range and the rifle shot as well as it ever has! :D I shot at least 6 sub 1/2" 10 shot groups at 35 yards with Automatch! I'm done tinkering now time to shoot and enjoy it!

Thanks to everyone for all the help!!:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.