Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Strangest .22 ammo yet...

1516 18
I had found this round on the ground at my local "firing range" (just a local wooded area where most people around here go to let off steam), and thought it was quite odd... It's never been fired, no firing pin mark on the shell. I don't belive it's foreign because it has "Rem" on the base of it...

It's quite a large image... I need to adjust my camera settings...:

http://www.geocities.com/firearms1022/strangebullet.jpg
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
I think someone was playing around and then lost their toy.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Actually you can see that the boat tail is just resting in the case mouth crimp.
As for firing a setup like this...So long as it's in a modern bolt action, or some other locked breech action...might be interesting. Modern rimfire actions (Non-autoloaders) are way over designed as far as chamber pressures are concerned. Muzzle velocity probaly wouldn't set any world records, neither would accuracy...unless you had a fast twist barrel, and even then it would be questionable.

At least this photoshop prank is quite obvious.

·
Registered
276 Posts
WHAT???

:eek: You mean it isn't real??!? Golly, that means I was fooled!
:confused: But...but...that would imply that I don't know everything there is to know! Wow, that's humbling!
Well, I guess it is good for me to be humbled now and then.

But I'm usually done in by my teenage son. Last week, when I walked into the room, he told his girl friend,"Don't move! His vision is based on movement; if you stand still, he can't see you."
Got to love that boy's sense of humor;)

BTW, if you don't get the reference, in the movie Jurassic Park, the Tyranosauris Rex's vision is based on movement. My son was saying I'm a dinosaur. Guess I'll go scratch my scales.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And I'm back....

I wouldn't know if it was a 5.56mm bullet, I've never fired anything other than my .12ga, .22, 30-30, .45, .38.

The boattail of the bullet isn't just sitting there, the bullet is inside the case fairly well, little loose though.

I don't think I would want to try to shoot it in my 10/22, I figure the bullet would get lodged in the barrel. I did try to put it in the chamber of an extra barrel I have but it didn't go in all the way.

I hadn't altered the photo or used any camera tricks at all. The "Rem" on the bottom of the case looks like the Rem that remington puts on their shells...

lol... -CheckSix- "Don't move! His vision is based on movement; if you stand still, he can't see you."

It looks like the rear of the bullet was sanded down so it would fit in the shell, nice and even though.

I wonder what I should do with it...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
This Australian knows that mark, what you are holding is a Remington round. Trust me we used to by them by the brick. go to your gunshop and I bet you I'm right.
We used to buy a lead hollow point hi-velocity
remingtons called Cyclones
:D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Make a small display box for the oddball ammo you'll accumulate over the years. I've got a couple old rounds for which I either don't have the gun for, or are too old or obsolete to fire. The local gun shop owner has numerous rounds of early 20th century vintage, like a .700 Nitro Express, as well as a 20mm anti aircraft round, and things of the sort on a display (or junk, depending on how you view it) shelf behind the counter. If that round was life sized on my 25" monitor screen, I'd swear it was a mortar round. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.