Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10/22 that I worked on during the winter. Bought it new and went to work.
So far I've put about a brick of ammo through it, but it still stovepipes 2-3 rounds every magazine.
I've tried exactedge extractor, checked torque on magazine, cleaned and dri-lubed, champhered bolt, deburred receiver and bolt, polished bolt, checked extractor line-up with barrel, etc, to no avail.
The barrel is a Boyds Bull. I've not changed any springs.
Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks Steve:confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts
HA! I'm getting the same thing from mine. Done everything commonly done to stop stovepipes and it still does it. Makes my blood boil I tell ya, makes me want to toss it in a lake. I have no idea what to:( I everyone just tells me the same things......

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine does with all cheap ammo except mini-mags, which aren't quite so cheap. But they do work at least 99% nothing else is nearly that good at cycling. It happened before I swapped barrels too, so I don't blame that. I replaced the extractor with a VQ, no difference. It only has about 2000 rounds through it. I might chamfer the rear bolt face to try and help. Keep forgetting to strip the bolt and bring it into work where I have all the tools.

·
Registered
38 Posts
STOVEPIPING

Just like everyone else I have the same problem when I replaced my barrel. What I did was champered the bolt & polished it like a mirror....but the problem persisted.... next I looked at the VQ hammer & found out that the face is not smooth so I decided to stone just the hammer face that slide thru the bolt, then polished it just like the bolt ... tested it in the range & W ALA no more stove pipes & the action is so smooth that to cock the gun it just slide so smoothly.... hope this helps it worked for me it might work for you guys too.....

Danny

( AirmaN )

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
A New Problem...? ?

Gentlemen,

Do we have a 'new' problem...? ? :confused:

Does anyone have an 'old' "VQ" 'Target Hammer' and a 'new' "VQ" 'Target Hammer' that they could compare both visually and functionally...? ? Scott, Hawk, Alan, anyone........? ?

What I am thinking is that there may have been a subtle change in the manufacturing / finishing process of 'Target Hammers' at "VQ" ...! ! :(

I have been recommending the "VQ" 'Target Hammer' as the "Most Bang for the Buck" in 10/22 mods for as long as I can remember, and lately there seems to be more 'stovepiping' issues than before...! ! :(

Your thoughts....... ;)

PS: Thread E-Mailed to Scott.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Two things that made it go away for me were:
ONE> Polish the VQ hammer and make sure all the hammer edges are free of sharp surfaces. Polish the bolt chamfer where it contacts the hammer during the cocking process.
TWO> Use Moly Fusion on the contact surfaces where bolt contacts hammer and the hammer contacts the bolt.
Now the only thing that stovepipes is a .22 long. :t Bill

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just installed vq hammer in another 10/22 it was ruff in that it had a mold or seam line around most of the hammer and where it was milled the tooling was not smooth. what I did is take out the seam line and polish all to a mirror like finish. Let me say I have not tested this one yet! also I am a jeweler and have alot of training in metal finishing, meaning the hammer was not buffed on a wheel I use a split lap machine that does not round the edges. will let you know how it works after saftey testing
Thanks Trigger

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Trigger,

Care to venture a 'professional opinion' on the hammer...? ?

Investment Cast or Powder Metallurgy...? ?

I haven't handled one in several years, and I do not remember there being any 'parting line' on the one I did handle...! ! :eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
It looks to me to be a investment cast hammer judging from the mold parting line and the perosity or (pits) in the casting. It did clean up well, just looked to be a ruff casting except where it was milled.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got a new VQ target hammer

I just got a new VQ target hammer. haven't had a chance to try it yet. It does have the seam in the casting and it didn't seem very smooth where it would engage the bolt surface. I'll let you all know how it works. I wasn't having any problems with stovepiping before.:) Hope it doesn't start now.:(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Volq, Hammer

FWIW...I "just" purchased a VQ target hammer back in Feb. and installed it before breaking in my rifle. Through 500 rounds, I only had 2 stovepipes, both early on.

After break-in, I started trying different ammo brands. Mini-Mags & Remington HV worked fine (1 box each), but I got 2 stovepipes w/ American Eagle. They didn't seem to have the "umph" of the other 2, so I'm hoping that chamfering the bolt will correct that.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is maybe there wasn't a purposeful change to the finishing, but maybe it's a "quality control" issue. I didn't do anything to my hammer prior to installation...other than a few stovepipes (4 out of around 800 or so rounds), funtioning has been excellent with the factory mag.

--Otter

·
Registered
104 Posts
stovepipes

Steve,

If you would like to send your rifle into us we will take a look at it for you and see if we can determine what is going on at no charge to you.

As for the hammer, it is currently an investment cast hammer that is then surface ground on the critical areas. However, we are looking at possibly grinding the contact area with the bolt to see if this helps cure the problem. We are also researching the possibility of offering a completely machined target hammer to replace the one we are currently offering. We are checking into whether or not we would be able to do it for similar cost in order to keep the hammer priced where it is.

Also, is there a trend as to what barrel makes this problem is with or is it a wide variety of barrels from various mfg?

scott

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
stovepiping

Scott, My barrel is a Boyd's. I do not know who makes it for them. I am going to put the stock barrel back on it to see if it allieviates the problem I am having. Thanks for your concerns. Steve

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.