Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you store/transport your 10/22 disassembled?

Doesn't have to be a pocket 10/22 settup, but do any of you take the barrel,stock, etc apart or anything when storing or transporting your 10/22 so that it is a different size in action than it is stored?

Thanks

-Emt

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I keep mine together too, ready to go, in case any varmints come hoppin' across the yard, you'll have to rezero your scope if you take the stock off, but shouldn't be off much if it's properly bedded, I wouldn't ever take a scope off unless you're replacing it.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Never have and I don't see a need for the hassle. It takes a little time to reassemble a 10/22 when taken completely down, mainly the barrel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
yup

I have done it before. I like long barrels and it is easier to transport in a short take down case. POI changes but not beyond minute of squirrel at 50 yds. If I am trying to kill m&m's glued to paper before they can attach us at my picnic table then I will have to take a couple shots to zero. But as long as I am not looking at being over run by little chocolate candies the killer squirrels are big enough that no dialing is needed. I do this with my 77/22 which has 2 screws instead of 1. They are also screwed into a SS action instead of aluminum so I guess you could argue against my practice being done with the 10. But I would not think twice about it. Even with the factory bedding. Next time at the range dial in your scope then take it apart and put it back together. Be sure to do it exactly the same each time. Use the same amount of tq on the screws each time. Now shot it a few more times check if it is still dialed in. if you are using the correct tools you will not harm your hardware. As long as you are not over tightening you will not harm your action. Do this several times you will gain confidence in your methods results. Good luck and good :Blasting_

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
When I travel through airports

I have a pelican rifle case with a foam insert that I cut to hold two ultimates. I take them down to a barreled action with the scope intact, I pull the bolt, handle, trigger group, and stock and place them in little cutouts in the foam. I usually place the barreled actions in a gunsock, even though everything is stainless/aluminum. For long time storage/shipping the only thing I have had goe wrong is a little surface rust on my mach 2 bolt handle. Other than that I don't usually have a dramatic shift in poi, mainly because the barrel/action/scope combo never comes apart. Both ultimates I usually take along have target turrets so readjusting takes little time. I have taken this setup through the airport 3 times in the last two years and have had no complaints from tsa, the last person to search it thanked me for making his job easier buy having everything removed neatly and cleanly.
-comfisherman

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Red tape???...Paperwork??

I dunno about you but when the day comes that I need to "protect myself" I plan on drawing, aiming, and shooting. I'll worry about the red tape and paperwork after the black and whites show up.

-Emt1581

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Experience

I had an experience where I was changing barrel from HM2 to 22lr on my conversion rifle. I have the scope mounted on a Leupold QR rings/mount, and I had removed the scope, then removed the barrel, which is held on by a "Gunsmither v-block replacement", with the little "Anti-droop set screw". I had been shooting at 62 yards just prior to this.
Just then, a crow landed 140 yards away, investigating some garbage.
I quickly re-assembled the parts, loaded, and took aim through the 20X Simmons.
I aimed at his head, and hit about 4 inches low, right through his spine.
That was all I needed to know that if I ever wanted to dis-assemble my rifle, it would be okay, POI could not have changed on a shot like that!

·
Registered
7 Posts
emt1581 said:
Do any of you store/transport your 10/22 disassembled?

Doesn't have to be a pocket 10/22 settup, but do any of you take the barrel,stock, etc apart or anything when storing or transporting your 10/22 so that it is a different size in action than it is stored?

Thanks

-Emt
I have a bolt action so i just push a button and slide it out. Though, now that hunting season has started i just keep it in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.