1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long can you store AMMO?

I've heard conflicting stories.
I heard it should be used in 1 year.
Also I heard indenfinately if it is stored right, but what is right?

Does it go bad?

I've heard the lead (non copper coated) bullets will develop something on them over time.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Ammo Storage

vegas,

IF stored properly, it lasts almost indefinitely.....! ! :eek:

I am shooting 40+ year old Remington Standard Velocity ammo I purchased from DCM in the 60's....! ! :)

I am using USGI military ball ammo from the early 50's...! ! :)

It must be kept in a cool [68° F] dry place, preferably in a sealed container...! ! ;)

However, if left in the trunk of your car, it can be 'cooked' in a day...! ! :(

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
A lot of the match shooters around here shoot lots they got 2 or more years ago, and they still kick our rear-ends with that old ammo. So BigMike's right, as usual. Store it well, and it will last.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Re: so

whiteboy72 said:
ammo is like a moon pie it will be here when were not
I thought that was 72 Plymouth Dusters. Seriously. I store my ammo in army surplus 20mm plastic cans. Water and air tight. I've got some old surplus 303 ammo I've had it 10 years, plus however old it was when I got it, shoots just fine. Get some of that dessicant stuff and put in the can, and keep it in a cool place. Be careful though, I went hunting in the mountains 6000ft+. When I opened it on top of the mountain the lid blew open, when I got back to sea-level, I could'nt open the can.

·
Registered
125 Posts
old ammo

I just bought some lake city match .308 that was made in 68 and this stuff shot great. i put it through my g3 clone and my l1a1 a couple of days ago and it out shot some brand new federal match. go figure? i read on another forum some guys are buying those vacuum sealers and sealing up thier ammo. cabelas sells several models.might be a good idea w/.22 ammo since they dont normally pack it air tight.later Bently

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.