Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

stocks

510 11
Anybody make aftermarket stocks for the Marlin 981T. I have decided that I need a tube fed bolt action rifle but really don't care for the synthetic stock. Thanks
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Syn Stocks Have There Pro's.
They Don't Warp.
They Don't Crack.
They Don't Suck-up Moisture
And They Don't Scratch.
Some People Say They Look Cheap!!!!!!!
But, It's All You
For Hunting, Which Is Me!!!!!!
Wood Can't Hack It.
So, Lets Hear It From Some Target Shooters---------
I THINK I'LL HAVE A BEER ON THAT ONE, HOW BOUT YOU BLKWOLLF ????????????

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think an after market stock from Marlin for the 983 22 Mag will work, about $80. Might need minor fitting.

I am thinking about the 981T myself and I too would change to wood. I have the 983 22 Mag and the wood stock is real nice.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
:D Syn stocks are ok in my book;-For the right application of use!:-BUT I"m A grand lover of the 'NICE" looking grains + figures in 'MY' Wood stocks!!-Just My Feelings + I'm entitled to it!!-"I'LL Still have the 'BEERS' Though!!:D-Blkwollf!!!
They Don't Warp.
They Don't Crack.
And They Don't Scratch.
But, It's All You
Wood Can't Hack It.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Synthetic stocks vs: Wood stocks

I'm sure that synthetic stocks have their place. They are impervious to weather, warpage, cracks, dings, etc. They are probably easier to fit and bed. So, technically speaking, they are probably superior...but....

There are asthetics that wood stocks provide that are more than just technical. I have an old LC Smith double barrel shotgun that belonged to my father. When I was about 14 he let me take that gun out on a duck hunt with him. Prior to that, I had never fired a 12 ga. gun or a double barrel. We were in a metal sink box blind out in the salt marsh. Just before sunrise, two greenhead mallards lit in the middle of our decoys and were calmly paddling around in the water. It was only about five minutes until shooting time, but it seemed like it took an eternity to pass until finally my dad handed me two 12 ga. shells and said "Just stand up and when they take off, aim high" I did as he said and dropped one of them cleanly. I didn't know it though because I had also inadvertently pulled both triggers of the old double, which unceremoniously knocked me down into the floor of that old metal sink box. I'll never forget the look of concern on my father's face which immediately turned to laughter . In the process of being knocked down, I put a big scratch and a small dent in the stock of the old LC Smith. I still have that gun. Unfortunately, I lost my dad, my best hunting partner, in 2000. When I hold that old gun in my hands, I always run the tip of my finger over that little dent in the stock. It's a lot smoother now, and has a rich dark patina from the many hunts that followed the day in the duck blind. One day, my son will have that gun. He knows how the dent got there...he's heard the story many times. My point is...I just don't know if it would feel the same if the stock of that gun was synthetic. Sometimes, when the bird hunting is slow, I will sit and look closely at the wood stock of the gun in my hands. I admire it's rich warm character, it's feel in my hands, the individuality of the grain in the wood and the way it absorbs the oil from my hands and darkens in those areas.
I know what a lot of people will think upon reading this...What a sentimental old fool he must be. Well, you would be right. I am that sentimental old fool. Sometimes, I will pull one of my guns out of the safe and clean it for no apparent reason. Just for the simple pleasure of handling it, and enjoying a good scotch with the smell of Hoppe's No. 9 solvent in the air. Crazy huh? I know that there are many of you out there who understand exactly what I'm talking about. There are probably some out there who never will.

Kix:eek:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Amen

kixonrt66

I hear ya. I'm of the younger variety and understand the value of a story telling wood stock. I'm now the proud owner of a 12 ga that my grandfather's dad gave him. My granddad passed last year and I acquired a new piece of family heritage that I've heard various hunting stories, including my dad taking his first deer hunting trip with that shotgun. It is deffinetly the most oiled gun in the safe.

On the other hand a good bit of my recent purches have been matte and synthetic. I enjoy the best of both worlds.

Different strokes for different folks.

Stalker

:snipersmi

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Stocks

Absolutely Stalker,

I think synthetic stocks are great for a lot of purposes. The writing is on the wall for wood though. In the future, unless you are prepared to dole out some serious bucks for a high end rifle or shotgun, wood stocks...especially walnut stocks will soon be a thing of the past. The supply of raw material, especially walnut, is dwindling. We are beginning to see much plainer, nondescript walnut on more expensive guns. Relatively inexpensive guns now come standard with synthetic, laminate or "hardwood" which is usually beech, or some other easily obtainable wood coated with a walnut stain. Gun manufacturers are getting squeezed. Lower profits, more competition from far east and third world markets. The last thing they need to do is spend more on raw materials and labor. Popping those synthetics stocks out of a mold is the answer. I'm surprised they haven't started touting "recycled" plastics as a selling point. With this in mind, here is a tip...When you see a bargain on a good quality 60's or 70's gun with a nicely figured walnut stock, snatch it if you can...they won't be around forever.

Kix:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
rifle stocks !!!

There was a time{back in the day} stocks were hand fitted to a barrel and action. Wood was selected to inhance the deap rich luster of the blueing. Those days are not gone, the desire to locate,save,work for a once in a lifetime rifle in any given cal. has passed. Anyone holding such a family treasure is indeed lucky. Would be quite a loveing story just how many sacifices were made to purchace that tool we now hold in such regard. It's all personal, taste, MONEY,time finding that specal piece of art.

·
Registered
736 Posts
They Don't Warp.
They Don't Crack.
And They Don't Scratch.
But, It's All You
Wood Can't Hack It.
I'm a hunter as well and all about the synthetic stocks. I'm wanting a better cheek weld on my 925R. I wouldn't want to drill holes in a wood stock and retro-fit a cheek piece. On synthetic, who cares?
My centerfires have syn stocks also. Due to the nature of the environment I live and hunt in, wood is impractical. Climbing up and down cliffs, rapid temp and weather changes. Yesterday morning it was 13F., by noon it was near 50F.. The day before it was snowing.

"Wood can't hack it":bthumb:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm a hunter as well and all about the synthetic stocks. I'm wanting a better cheek weld on my 925R. I wouldn't want to drill holes in a wood stock and retro-fit a cheek piece. On synthetic, who cares?
My centerfires have syn stocks also. Due to the nature of the environment I live and hunt in, wood is impractical. Climbing up and down cliffs, rapid temp and weather changes. Yesterday morning it was 13F., by noon it was near 50F.. The day before it was snowing.

"Wood can't hack it":bthumb:
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALK'N BOUT---:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.