Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never refinished a stock before, and I’m just trying to make it acceptable in public. I have worked on it, for about one hour a night, for the last two weeks with very fine paper, and now have it down to bare wood all over.

I have searched the web and read all kinds of ways of refinishing. I am looking for a cheap way to make the stock look good.

The wood is walnut and has a very nice grain. I don’t want to put to much money into this project, unless it teaches me something.

Is the old gun way, the way to go? (Tung oil, sit, sand, etc.)

Or are there good furniture ways too go ? (Stain, wax, etc,)

The wood really looks nice and I would hate to kill it’s look for a few bucks!
So please help, because something will happen tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I used Tru Oil on an old stock I refinished. Got it to the point you have yours, then sealed it with Minwax Wood Finish #209. This is a natural (clear) sealer. Then I used Tru Oil over a period of three weeks. Apply. Let dry, etc. IIRC I ended up with about ten - twelve coats of the Tru Oil. Brought out some nice figure (for a Marlin stock) and a nice gloss. I like a gloss finish, so I left it.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want some pics.

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
I like the tung oil method, I use Homer Formbys tung oil works fine put the first coat on with a brush real heavy to soak in and close the grain. Then steel wool between coates with #0000 steel wool. Let dry 24 hours between coates and it will be a great finish.

If you like a little darker stock put some staain on it first. you can try the stain in an area that won't show like the barrel channel.

Good luck.

PS: down the road if you get nicks or scraps it is easy to repair with tung oil just steel wool and reapply a coat to the affected area or the whole stock.

·
Registered
195 Posts
fullchoke said:
I've read a lot about tung oil here. What is the difference between using tung oil and Tru Oil? Is the tung oil a better finish?

Thanks
The problem here is, "What Kind of Tung Oil product", are 'we' talking about? There are DOZENS of different kinds of "Tung Oil", on the market. Even the ones that say they are 100% tung oil, usually aren't what they say they are. PURE "unmodified in any way" Tung Oil, can be pretty difficult to come by.... and, on top of that... "Unless YOU REALLY Want to put some Serious TIME into the project, it is just as difficult (read... time consuming), to use............... although, as far as I am concerned, the RESULTS 'are' well worth the effort."

The Best Tung Oil products, can be found by searching the "Professional Woodworker's" Sites ........... These products, also have the Best Instructions ! However, the INSTRUCTIONS are only "Good", if You follow them. The simple fact is, most people are NOT willing to "Put In the Time"!

Like the other Fellow said........ "If You ever have to 'fix' a ding, there is nothing else, like Tung Oil . . ."

Sorry........... You wanted Your Question "Answered"....... Not a Lecture !

mjo.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.