Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok need a little advice all you stock guru's. Got the varmint sanded down and was wondering , do I need to stain it or just apply oil and sand simular to what Que has done?

And if I stain it and then sand the oil in to fill the pores will it remove the stain?

Trying to figure it out before I say the heck with it and it turns out "Rigger Green", LOL.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
rigger I'd give it a go without stain and sand it in. lots of work ahead of you but I think its worth it. I've only stained one stock that I can remember, used some red mahogany (sp) on walnut and thought it turned out nice.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have stained a few stocks , but have never filled the pores by sanding them afterwards though. So not really sure how it'd go.

May hit it with some light stain just to try and highlight the grain. Not really sure what I want to do with it.:confused:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
well if you weren't in a hurry for it you could send it to me. I could oil finish it for ya next time you ship out. I'll have it ready by the time you return.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
rigger you might want to think about a dark walnut stain then a light sanding. that should bring out the grain. then just sand in a couple coats of oil and then the additional coats lightly sanding with higher grit each time every three coats or so.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Grain filler recipe a local smith uses to good results:

A black or dark brown powdered die
Rotten stone
Naptha

Mix, and paint on before it dries, sand off until the only dark spots left are in the open pores of the grain, then finish.

Just my .02

John

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm pretty well limited to some stain and tung oil. Guess I could spring for some Tru-oil and try it on the stock.

I'm thinking maybe stain (as the stain will be darker on the grain) sand lightly to remove all but whats in the grain and then oil it.

Just what I'm thinking right now.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rico,

Yeah did that, but decided to put a light coat of Golden Pecan on it . Today after coming home from getting 12 bottom teeth pulled got some TR-oil.

Haven't ever tried using tru-oil so this is a first. Will see how she looks , I think it is pretty good with the GP on her.

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
12 at one time?? dang, Rigger, you are one tuff swabbie, OUCH!!

yea, am looking forward to seeing a pic or 2 with the Gold Pecan.
have had good results with that color, but never tried it on a "nutter".

Rico....

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
That's a nice piece of walnut there. I am interested in this project as I have to do the stock for the 581 shortly. Unfortunately, I can't post any photos tonight because my camera is at work. (I had to leave hurriedly to make it to the gunshop in time to pick up my 540X before they closed.)

EJ

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well have limited amoutn of time to get my bottom plate made before going back to work. Jaw is sore tonight and have to go tomorrow so the dentist can start work on my dentures.

So when I get in I'll get some pics posted . I kinda like it, I'm debating on wether to lightly sand it before putting on the tru-oil.

Couple pics coming ....uploading to photobucket now.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Hey! That is just about perfect from a theoretical perspective. Nice grain in the butt, with good fine, straight grain in the forearm. It is going to be gorgeous and we will all be envying you when it is finished.

EJ

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok guys, now that it is stained how do ya sand in the Tru-oil?

Do I get my peice of sand paper and put just a bit on it and start sanding a area, and keep doing this till I've done the whole stock?

And what is the recogmended grit? I was thinking 220, but I believe I have a peice of 120 or something close to that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.