Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I did a search, didn't see anything on this in particular. I have a deluxe sportster stock that I am going to refinish. Anyone have any clues for removing the finish and the stain from the checkering without damaging the points?:confused:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Cloudrnnr,
most stocks I've seen have the checkering cut after the stock has been finished. Most just need a good but gentle cleaning with alcohol (worked gently with a soft toothbrush). If your checkering is finished, just make sure you've either removed any plastic parts such as buttplates, or masked them off really well, then use a chemical stripper. Follow the directions on the stripper container carefully.
Make sure all the stripper is rinsed off and you might even cleanse the stock in either laquer thinner or mineral spirits. Its a good idea to mask the checkering with a couple layers of masking tape before sanding, then apply the finish over the stock, tape an all. When the finish is dry, carefully peel the tape off and rinse the checkering again with a small amount of alcohol to remove any tape glue. Then a drop or two of your finish on a toothbrush can be worked into the checkering, it won't take much, wipe off the excess and allow to dry.
Hope this helps,
warren

·
Registered
664 Posts
Finishing birch stocks

My Dad once refinished a Remington Mohawk 600 rifle stock(birch) Just by stripping the old finish then hand rubbing Linspeed gunstock finish on it. Easily done and big improvement in looks. No stain needed to add richness to stock and multiple coats added luster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.