Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my GM stainless fluted barrel and Boyd's Ross Thumbhole stock. I managed to spend some time last night cleaning the barrel up and trial-fitting everything in place.

When I placed the receiver and barrel in the stock and snugged down the take-down screw, I noticed that the receiver does not go down into the stock as far as it did in the standard carbine stock. The top of the saftey is just touching the bottom of the stock; it doesn't affect the movement of the pin but there are now some very tiny marks on the bottom of the stock opening. In addition, the upper 1/8" of the trigger and guard is up inside the receiver opening. Even without the barrel installed, the receiver appears to sit high when looking from the bottom of the stock, but it looks just right from the top.

The barrel is also sitting about 1/8" above the crown in the forearm of the barrel channel. A dollar bill will go all the way back to the barrel lug with lots of clearance. There is also a slight rocking of the entire barrel/receiver assembly when I move the barrel up and down at the muzzle . When I look at the profile of the rifle, the barrel and receiver appears to be angled very slightly upwards.

Am I going to have to trim the shoulders inside the stock where the front of the receiver sets in order for it to set level? I would assume that everything should be fairly level and square to the stock before I even start to think about bedding.

I'll probably have a few more questions about this, so please bear with me. This is my first attempt at this sort of thing!!
:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
504 Posts
This is an UNFINISHED stock right??? It is pretty normal to have to take a little off the inside of the action area to get it to seat all the way down. I am in the process of doing a Ross thumbhole and was surprised at the amount of material I had to take out of the action area. I am also going to have to take some material off directly behind the receiver as it is sitting too low. Any more Q's ask away.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Now comes the fun part...the front of the action...where the barrel joins and the barrel retainer wedge is loacated has a flat surface where the stock/action retaining screw goes thru the stock into the action block....this flat in the stock needs to be sanded down to let the action lower into the stock untill the safety clears and the action sits in the stock correctly...the barrel channel will have to be opened up more and I prefer to glass bed the stock flat at the screw retainer and the first couple of inchs of the barrel itself..the clearance for the barrel channel needs to be more than a dollar slip fit..loose business card at least......use some lipstick or similar bright colored substance that will mark the wood where the metal hits it to let you know where to cut/sand the wood for clearance....a round object similar/larger than the barrel..deep well socket? wood dowell....with sand paper around it to open up the barrel channel..and fit and sand,,sand and fit....ect untill the action fits into the stock correctly then consider glass bedding to get 100% contact...some experienced help or articles on the stock fitting might help.......to avoid some first time mistakes.....we all are still learning..if we are lucky.....good luck and good shooting!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gander - the stock is finished. Rob did not have a Ross LH in house, so I ordered a finished one.

bigdaddytacp - I sort of figured I would have to trim some material to get the action down. Thank for the tip on marking the areas to be trimmed.

What grit sandpaper should I start with? 220 or so? I have 150, 220 and 400 grit papers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
60 grit

George S:

I recently "bored out" my factory Birch stock, & fitted my GM 18".

I used a full sheet of 60 grit, wrapped around a 3/4" dowell - then moved to a 1" dowell. I alternated between these two dowells & test fit several times, before I was satisfied. Even then I was having some doubts, so after I painted my stock, I ran the dowells through again. After another coat of paint & two coats of satin polyerethane, the fit was great. Floating barrel, with a pressure point 1.5" from the end of the stock.

Sorry I'm rambling, BUT it was MY first, also.

Get her fixed up, & may there be NO wind when you shoot!!! lol

:t :t :t :t :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
George - Hi Again,

I had the same issue with my UDI Ross when I finished it last year. There seemed to be "more receiver wood" than in the OEM stock, and, (like yours) the safety rubbed on the underside while the top of the receiver seemed to fit a bit lower than in the OEM stock.

At the time, I assumed that this was part of the UDI adventure I had undertaken. Evidently, this is a Ross-thing whether you buy the stock finished or not.

In any case, a some extra sanding/fitting made the safety just-clear the stock and everything seems OK. Of course, my stock was UDI and I expected to be doing such stuff.

Curiously, the 10/22 receiver fit my UDI Blaster (just finished) like a glove.

Don't give up. It just needs some additional work.

Ohcsim

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it looks like I have a bit of tailoring to do to get the receiver fitting just right. Got some extra sandpaper today so it looks like I have a weekend project.

It's probably better to have to do some material removal to get things to fit right than to have the receiver and barrel flopping around in a loose cavity!!:D

All the replies are really appreciated!! Thanks guys!!

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
All interesting!

I just got a Fajen stock, had to open up the barrel channel for my GM barrel. Ready now to float. The millwork at the receiver end of the stock was way to generous. Receiver snug to the stock on the left side, but , lotsa open space on the right side. Banging around ideas to make a top edge fill that will match the stock grain colors (and it'll hide the ughly bedding that'll go below it. The meat behind the receiver is kinda high, so I'm gonna work it down to be even with the receiver. The trigger groups set the way its supposed to at the bottom of the stock. Maybe I'm nit picking it, however I want everything to hook up right and have a uniform appearance to all points of fit.

Maybe I'll do a "Titus" paint job on it :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.