Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Stock 10/22 questions

2433 Views 21 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Stinkeypete
Hello all,

What is the trigger weight on a stock out of the box 10/22? I'll guess pretty heavy since there seem to be a lot of after market triggers or trigger jobs discussed.

Can fiber optic sights be added to the plain jane 10/22?

Is the Takedown model just as accurate as the standard models? Any downside to the Takedown?

Thanks for any help.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
20,844 Posts
wb.. how big of a Boy are ya.. ?
The CRR (compact) is 1.25" shorter.. older ones can be found in Walnut finished Birch/Beech stocks... the current offering is Tupperware only.. it has OEM fiber optic front sights... may work IF you are 5' 7"ish or smaller.. otherwise it will seem short .. IF you are Small statured ya may look/search for the CRR.. and find one slightly used/cheap.. bingo.. if you are a big ol' Boy forget it.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Compact/specSheets/31114.html

F.O. Sights :
https://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Fiber-Optic-Sight-Rifle/dp/B01FL08M12
http://shopruger.com/10_22-Fiber-Optic-Sight-Set/productinfo/90340/

The Take-Downs in my experience are just as accurate as the Std. 10/22 carbines... which is not very accurate.. that's why as you state the multitude of aftermarket choices for anything/everything that fits a 10/tweekie2... they NEED it... that is IF you want a nice little rifle.. they are plinkers and a starter pkg. right out-of-the-box IMO.

OEM Trigger pulls are 6-7 lbs. - and nasty.

Many will tell you how fantastic the Ruger BX Trigger is.. and it's better but IMO it's a Band-aid on a oozing wound at best..

THE Best Triggers:
https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.co...-Sear-Disconnect-and-Trigger-blade_p_116.html
http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/tier-1-advanced-ruger-10-22-trigger-work/

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wb.. how big of a Boy are ya.. ?
The CRR (compact) is 1.25" shorter.. older ones can be found in Walnut finished Birch/Beech stocks... the current offering is Tupperware only.. it has OEM fiber optic front sights... may work IF you are 5' 7"ish or smaller.. otherwise it will seem short .. IF you are Small statured ya may look/search for the CRR.. and find one slightly used/cheap.. bingo.. if you are a big ol' Boy forget it.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Compact/specSheets/31114.html

F.O. Sights :
https://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Fiber-Optic-Sight-Rifle/dp/B01FL08M12
http://shopruger.com/10_22-Fiber-Optic-Sight-Set/productinfo/90340/

The Take-Downs in my experience are just as accurate as the Std. 10/22 carbines... which is not very accurate.. that's why as you state the multitude of aftermarket choices for anything/everything that fits a 10/tweekie2... they NEED it... that is IF you want a nice little rifle.. they are plinkers and a starter pkg. right out-of-the-box IMO.

OEM Trigger pulls are 6-7 lbs. - and nasty.

Many will tell you how fantastic the Ruger BX Trigger is.. and it's better but IMO it's a Band-aid on a oozing wound at best..

THE Best Triggers:
https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.co...-Sear-Disconnect-and-Trigger-blade_p_116.html
http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/tier-1-advanced-ruger-10-22-trigger-work/
Thanks Chaser for the info and the links. Going to the Gettysburg gun show tomorrow. I'll see what's available. No hurry.

I'm not giant. I was 5'10" before I got old :D and about 175. Probably too large for the Compact. But I'll check them out tomorrow. For some reason that Takedown is catching my attention. Do I need one? No. But it's time for a new toy. Also been considering the Henry Survival AR-7.

· Registered
20,844 Posts
Thanks Chaser for the info and the links. Going to the Gettysburg gun show tomorrow. I'll see what's available. No hurry.

I'm not giant. I was 5'10" before I got old :D and about 175. Probably too large for the Compact. But I'll check them out tomorrow. For some reason that Takedown is catching my attention. Do I need one? No. But it's time for a new toy. Also been considering the Henry Survival AR-7.
Ha... my Dad went 70+ years with 1- Win 69a 22, 1- ol' Pump 12g and 1- 270 Mauser action.. he would be mortified at what I own. :eek:
Not what ya need but how bad ya want it..:bthumb:
I would buy the Take-Down 10/22 before the Henry.. see if that relieves your itch.:D
Now.. at that Gunshow.. any 10/22 that ya buy will need some work.. so get one as cheap as you can so it leaves some funds for good aftermarket goodies... I regularly find beater 10/22's at $125-150.. not at Shows (at our local Shows they go for more than ya can buy one at Walmart) but at Pawn Shops that will deal some... then they get the full on treatments and look mo beda than new ones... and shoot fantastic... but you can easily get into them $500 to ummmm... God only knows.

· Registered
49 Posts
1. Stock trigger is “pretty heavy” but mine was reasonably smooth and crisp. Surprisingly not bad at all for a $200 plinking rifle bought a few months ago. My old 10/22 from 18 years ago with the metal trigger housing was as gritty as a gravel road.

Note: the BX triggers on eBay for $52.. you will immediately fell the improvement. I think they are a decent value.

2. You can get fiber optic sights on many factory models. So much so that I bought a whole new take-off barrel with fiber optic sights for $10 more than the sights alone. The fiber optic sights are really good for old eyes and are a nice low profile.

Note: a $35 Simmons 4x scope named “.22 Magnum” and some cheap Tasco rings have been very good on my rifle. Light, strong, simple, and I can set focus so my old eyes don’t need my glasses. I just peer over my close range glasses and presto, there is mr. tin can.

Note: the supplied weaver rail probably needs to be honed to the receiver with a little bit of 320 grit sandpaper to remove any lumps. Then turn the sandpaper over and hone the receiver. Clean both, then loctite the base and the rings.

Note: the blasted rail covers up the iron sights. See through rings won’t help, the rail is in the way.

3. I have no experience with the take-down model. My carbine is pretty darned short. Loosen one 10/24 Allen screw and the barrel and receiver come off the stock. I mean, the takedown model is cute and I am glad Ruger is selling lots of them, but you get one because you like the cute bag and nifty gizmo nature.

If you use iron sights or mount the scope on the barrel, accuracy will be hunting level a-okay. With minor sandpaper tweaks and a 4x scope my stock $200 carbine ($245 with scope, rings, taxes and shipping included) was shooting 1.125 inch groups (outside edges to outside edges, 10 shots) at 50 yards after it settled in and I found it preferred Aguila SV. Photos are on my post in “ultimate 10/22” thread.

Some fellas have had trouble with the reassembly interface breaking. They might be ham-fisted gorilla men, who knows.

I am thinking I should make a “takedown bag” for the $200 wallyworld carbine and include an Allen wrench and sell it on eBay as “convert your stock 10/22 to a take-down”. After my nap.

· Premium Member
30,583 Posts
Ha... my Dad went 70+ years with 1- Win 69a 22, 1- ol' Pump 12g and 1- 270 Mauser action.. he would be mortified at what I own. :eek:
Not what ya need but how bad ya want it..:bthumb:
I would buy the Take-Down 10/22 before the Henry.. see if that relieves your itch.:D
Now.. at that Gunshow.. any 10/22 that ya buy will need some work.. so get one as cheap as you can so it leaves some funds for good aftermarket goodies... I regularly find beater 10/22's at $125-150.. not at Shows (at our local Shows they go for more than ya can buy one at Walmart) but at Pawn Shops that will deal some... then they get the full on treatments and look mo beda than new ones... and shoot fantastic... but you can easily get into them $500 to ummmm... God only knows.
It is amazing what a person could get by with when they own really good, old school, firearms.

A Mauser bolt action high power rifle is better than most rifles made today. An old Winchester 22 would last a few lifetimes if they are taken care of.

If I wanted a take down rifle, I would buy a Browning SA-22.

· Registered
472 Posts
It is amazing what a person could get by with when they own really good, old school, firearms.

A Mauser bolt action high power rifle is better than most rifles made today. An old Winchester 22 would last a few lifetimes if they are taken care of.

If I wanted a take down rifle, I would buy a Browning SA-22.
I'll happily be the contrarian, as I have hated Browning SAs and their Remington 24/241 cousins ever since the first hot just fired cartridge case was ejected down my shirt sleeve.

· Premium Member
12,029 Posts
I'll happily be the contrarian, as I have hated Browning SAs and their Remington 24/241 cousins ever since the first hot just fired cartridge case was ejected down my shirt sleeve.
We told you not to wear long sleeves. But did you listen, no. You said long sleeve shirts were the only ones with pockets that would hold your pencil protector. So stop whining about your little burney burn. :D

· Premium Member
30,583 Posts
My dad and grandfather both had Winchester 61s. They asked me in the late 1960s what I wanted for my first 22. I said a Winchester like theirs. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option since 1964. Me having a keen eye for firearms, and given another choice, I picked a Belgium Browning SA-22. My grandfather agreed but my dad bought a Ruger 10/22 instead. I was happy, until I shot it for the first time. It was a Jam-O-Matic. We tried cleaning, we tried new mags. Nothing helped. Today with the internet and aftermarket options, I think a Kidd extractor would have fixed the problem. After a few years of frustration we sold it. By then the Belgium Browning's were no more. My grandfather eventually helped me purchase a Belgium Browning SA-22. No offense to anyone, but there was no comparison back then and there is still no comparison today between the SA-22 and the 10-22.
The 10/22 has become one of my favorite firearms to modify, because they can be significantly improved. When is the last time you saw someone modify a SA-22? They don't need it.

I have been dumped on a few times over the years with the downward ejection of hot cartridge cases out of the SA-22, but it has never been so uncomfortable that I would pick a 10/22 over the SA-22 for field use. You just learn to hold it where your arm isn't right underneath it. Problem solved.

· Registered
6,553 Posts
My dad and grandfather both had Winchester 61s. They asked me in the late 1960s what I wanted for my first 22. I said a Winchester like theirs. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option since 1964. Me having a keen eye for firearms, and given another choice, I picked a Belgium Browning SA-22. My grandfather agreed but my dad bought a Ruger 10/22 instead. I was happy, until I shot it for the first time. It was a Jam-O-Matic. We tried cleaning, we tried new mags. Nothing helped. Today with the internet and aftermarket options, I think a Kidd extractor would have fixed the problem. After a few years of frustration we sold it. By then the Belgium Browning's were no more. My grandfather eventually helped me purchase a Belgium Browning SA-22. No offense to anyone, but there was no comparison back then and there is still no comparison today between the SA-22 and the 10-22.
The 10/22 has become one of my favorite firearms to modify, because they can be significantly improved. When is the last time you saw someone modify a SA-22? They don't need it.

I have been dumped on a few times over the years with the downward ejection of hot cartridge cases out of the SA-22, but it has never been so uncomfortable that I would pick a 10/22 over the SA-22 for field use. You just learn to hold it where your arm isn't right underneath it. Problem solved.
Have to say that the agree with you on the SA 22.
It's about as perfect as you can get, for a auto loading .22 rifle.
Pure class.
Very accurate.
It's the only take down I will own.

· Registered
212 Posts
Stock 10/22 trigger is too heavy for fine work but just for dancing a soda can it's fine. The stock trigger is a very easy DIY to get it down to 1-2 lbs. Most of the stock barrels can do less than a dime at 25 if you have a good rest and shooting technique. There is a huge mental factor in shooting those tiny little groups and if you get psyched out listening to all of the " no good" stuff, it will in fact be "no good". Another thing people seem to overlook is good glass. If you can't see it you can't hit it.

· Registered
20,844 Posts
Stock 10/22 trigger is too heavy for fine work but just for dancing a soda can it's fine. The stock trigger is a very easy DIY to get it down to 1-2 lbs. Most of the stock barrels can do less than a dime at 25 if you have a good rest and shooting technique. There is a huge mental factor in shooting those tiny little groups and if you get psyched out listening to all of the " no good" stuff, it will in fact be "no good". Another thing people seem to overlook is good glass. If you can't see it you can't hit it.
Ummmm... no it's not EZ to get it under anything less than 2.5 lbs... that would be for the experts. ;) .. DIY under 2 lbs. my money is on doubling, no reset and non-functioning safety... been there.

· Registered
212 Posts
I've done every one of mine with a set of Norton stones the lightest down to 1lbs no problems. You have to be patient and put the work in or it will do as you say. My first one would fire burst but I was in a hurry, I learned my lesson on that one.

· Registered
472 Posts
Hello all,

What is the trigger weight on a stock out of the box 10/22? I'll guess pretty heavy since there seem to be a lot of after market triggers or trigger jobs discussed.

Can fiber optic sights be added to the plain jane 10/22?

Is the Takedown model just as accurate as the standard models? Any downside to the Takedown?

Thanks for any help.
1. The stock 10/22 triggers are crappy. A BX replacement is $50+/- well spent.

2. Williams Firesight replacement can be had for under $20.

3. I have 2 take-downs and neither shoots as good as my tuned non-TD 10/22s.

It is easy to turn a basic 10/22 carbine into a money pit as you search of better accuracy potential. 20/20 hindsight will tell you when you've spent enough, but not too much, by then it will be too late and you will almost certainly have over spent on it.

· Registered
6,485 Posts
Lol, 'already spent too much', +1 that!
By the time I added up the 10/22 'money eating hole' expenditures I already had more than a CZ in it.
And it is still a plinker....a fun plinker sporter but still a plinker.
And I still dont have any Kidd stuff.....or even a bull barrel.....

· Premium Member
12,029 Posts
What the heck did you spend your money on. Take off receiver $65, Jwh bolt and charging handle , $70, Bx trigger$50, GM bull barrel, $100, DSP stock$75 , rail, pins and v block $25, $385. Show me a SA or a CZ for that price. Let alone one that can out shoot it.and you can do it for less.

· Registered
6,485 Posts
Had to buy a 10/22 to start with, so add in another $225 (a 'good price' used around here) then I got revved and start doing 'upgrades'....Most of the 'take-offs' dont sell for hardly beans after shipping costs. Even if I had bought it and sent to CPC(?) for the Whole Tamale I could have bought a CZ (sure, not a high-end CZ, a basic sporting or trainer model) off the Trading Post here for similar 'all in' money. Not counting glass, that would go on either. If open/iron sights the 10/22 desperately needs an upgrade ($) to equal the opens on a CZ.
Im a decent shot but I wouldnt want to shoot for pink slips against an average, off the shelf CZ with comparable sighting equipment. Common 50yd paper groups for mine, pretty dependent upon ammo, is 3/4" to 1 1/4". Btw, with more expensive ammo it improves by the factor of fewer fliers, not essential group size if/when I dont pull shots.
I had no illusions going in, after all, I visited here off and on for a good long time, I wanted, and got, a fun plinker/sporting rifle with no pretensions of being a match rifle (got some of those too). Guess I didnt win the accuracy lotto with mine even with 3 oem barrels, a modded oem and a Benz chambered aftermarket sporter barrel and action upgrades and different stocks to do trials at 50yd benched.
It is FUN, and I enjoy the futzin about, just played with it today :), but it is not the platform I suggest to anyone if they want an 'accurate' (ie, more than a plinking/average sporting rifle) out of the box; or even after sinking more than a little money into.
Would I do it different today; ie, buy the bits as you suggest and build from scratch? Might. But I suppose I did it the way most do 'the first time around', buy a shooter and start messing with it.
My reality, ymmv

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.