Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just became the caretaker of an old Stevens model 35 with missing parts. What's there is in decent shape and it will be a shooter. I can make the missing parts but would prefer to buy them. Does anyone know of a source for a firing pin, grips and a main spring?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I've got the Grandfather to your model - an 1890's Stevens Gould Model 37 - and haven't found a source yet, either.

It was easier to make my own front sight, etc - keeping the original in a baggie with the pistol, incase I have to sell it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sluggunner,
Having putzed with these in the past, parts are a rarity. They may turn up from time to time, but they will typically be used hard and not worth re-use if they came from something poor enough to become a donor. I have seen some creative repairs done to these over the years and they still work. So fabricate away and get that puppy running, if you are lucky enough to find originals down the road then you can put it right.
Good luck
Mark

·
Registered
134 Posts
What parts do you require, sights seem to be the hardest to come by, the locking devise usually fails or gets screwed up by someone trying to tighten up the action. These also happen to be some of the easiest to manufacture

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Toolmkr,
I need the firing pin, main spring and grips. The firing pin is a simple turn and mill job but it will be trial and error to get the correct length of the reduced diameter section. The main spring appears to be similar to the ones on a model 44 Stevens rifle. I've made two of those in the past year but they won't quite fit the pistol. Another trial and error job but doable. Also need the grip panels. Everything else is there and the action is surprisingly tight. I'm a shooter rather than a collector so original parts aren't terribly important to me. Tonight I'll make the firing pin. That's the simplest job.
Thanks to all of you for your comments. Didn't really think I'd find any parts but you don't know until you ask.
Pete44ru that's some outfit. A real prize. I think I told you that I once had a Stevens Lord model. Got rid of it because the front sight was so small I couldn't see it and the pistol was just to nice to start changing things. This model 35 has a larger front sight and I think it will be o.k. It has an 8" barrel and although it's on the light side seems to balance nicely. I shoot an indoor gallery league in the Winter and hope to use the 35 for the slow fire portion just for kicks.
Rich

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update on my model 35 project. Over the weekend I made a main spring and two firing pins. Shot four shots into a large block of wood in my basement and all seems well. I've started the grips and hope to have them at least usable by Thursday evening which is my night at the indoor range. Thanks guys.
Rich

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I Too Need Parts

Hi Sluggunner, I collect .22rf single-shots and got this old 35 at an online auction only to discover when it arrived at my door - NO EXTRACTOR! Like everyone else here, I've been searching for just over a year with no luck. What would YOU charge me to fabricate one using yours as the pattern?

Thanks for any consideration.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ GGN

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GGN I was more fortunate than you. I bought mine from an auction site also but the previous owner was upfront about the missing parts. He didn't mention the broken firing pin but I don't think he knew about it.
Sorry but I don't take on any work. That extractor looks simple until you try to decide how you would make it. There's quite a few hours there and the cost will be prohibitive to have it made. Hopefully you can find a derelict, salvage what you need and sell the rest. I think you'll be way ahead money wise if you can find one.
I'm taking mine to the range tonight for the first attempt at a target even thoough the grips are not finished.
Rich

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GGN,
After I left the above I went to Gunbroker.com and did a Stevens search. Auction number 1005004170 is for a Stevens tip up extactor. Doesn't say what caliber but it's worth sending the seller a question. Please let me kow if it works out.
Rich

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Thanks, sluggunner. Since my guns are old collectibles they do NOT get shot, so it's no priority to have them fully operable. They are mainly for display, but as time goes by I try to either repair and replace, or completely replace the gun with an upgrade and sell off the first one.

I'll certainly check on that extractor. Thanks again.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ GGN

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm taking mine to the range tonight for the first attempt at a target even thoough the grips are not finished.
Rich
Sluggunner,

Just out of curiosity.... How'd your Model 35 do at the range last Thursday? Was it as accurate as I've heard they can be?

I have been looking at them for a couple of months now and just won one at auction. I tried to ask a bunch of questions during the auction, but got no reply, but I still couldn't stop myself from bidding.

Mine is a 6" barrel version with what looks like a Remington rear sight similar to the one on my Model 6 single shot boys rifle. I've been looking at many pictures of Model 35's over the last several months and don't see too many that have the same sight from one gun to the next.

Another thing I've noticed is there seems to be two different trigger guards. Mine is a simple bent sheet metal guard, but some have one that looks as though it was cut or milled, much fancier. Just a different style or is one style older than the other?

Will post some pictures when it arrives....:bthumb:

toolmkr,

would be interested in the .410 barrel you mentioned if you are willing to part with it, and if Sluggunner isn't interested.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no interest in the .410 barrel. I'm strictly a paper puncher and Thursday's range trip was inconclusive. I did manage to get about a dozen rounds off but was pressed for time so couldn't really get serious. It seemed as though the pistol will shoot o.k. but I'll reserve judgement for a while. At least it didn't scatter them all over the place. I'll take it to the range again soon and shoot off of sandbags at fifty feet. That's all we have at our indoor range. Will let yo know and good luck with yours.
Rich

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gentlemen,

New to the forum and I also have a Stevens Model 35 with a problem. It came from my grandfater in the '40s and I got it from my dad who never shot much. So the thing had an average of 1 round a year shot through it.

The problem is that the firing pin broke in the '50s and my dad had one made by a local gunsmith. It works but sticks and appears to be too short based on some recent photos i have seen. I know there are some burrs in the hole where the firing pin slides.

What I need is a dimensioned drawing/ sketch or some measurements of a real Srevens part. Let me know then next time someone has their model 36 apart.

Thanks,

//dm

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave,
Welcome to the forum. It's great that your model 35 came down from your Grandfather. I'm sure he would be pleased.
I don't have the factory dimensions on the firing pin but I can tell you how I made mine. I started with a piece of oil hardening drill rod. (O-1) I had the remnants of the old pin to use for that portion of the replacement but had to take a guess at the rest. I measured the hole through the frame where the tip goes through and found it to be .058". I made my tip .001" smaller. I thought the pin should protrude through the frame .050 or so and that's how I made mine. The first pin that I made had a rounded tip and it didn't work. The second had what I'll call a chisel tip with about .010" flat. It's oriented to strike the case as near the edge as possible. It works fine. I hardened the pin and drew it back at 700 degrees. That's spring temper and may be a little soft but I'd rather that than to have them break. If it proves to be too soft I can always heat treat it over again.
I suspect that broken pins are common with the tip ups since the hammer does not rebound. When you open the action on a fired case it puts a strain on the pin tip. Remembering to put the action in half cock before opening relieves that strain.
Hope this helps and if anyone has factory dimensions please share them.
Rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 410 barrel is legal to own. It just cannot be placed on the frame. I have one of these and I am missing the barrel catch. I have several supressors and I went to the store where I get them to see if I can get a tax stamp on the weapon and get it to where I can assemble it and shoot it. There is no way that they could tell me to make it legal other than by having the barrel rifled.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.