Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Stevens Favorite (1915) action problem. Help needed

393 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Fatstrat
I bought a 1915 Stevens Favorite on an internet auction. Upon receiving the rifle I have found that it has an action problem. The action will lock in the "up" position w/the hammer down or at 1/2 cock. But when fully cocked the action drops unless one holds it closed by holding onto the lever. The rifle is fireable in it's present condition, but I would like to (have it) repair it to function as it should.
Any advice from someone who knows about the inner-workings of this action appreciated.
Do I need to look for a replacement part, etc?
Thanks.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
413 Posts
My first guess is to fit new pins to the action. Second,rework the link. Third and hardest, move barrel back a few thousands-there were other fixes;like a spring bearing on the lever(front part) . I would try the larger or new screws first. Your malady is kind of common on this model. Lets be generous, its over 50yrs old. If the chamber is good,AND the extractor is in good shape and not wallowed out(good KY language),aprroach this fix slowly. JMHO Paul W

· Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sharpsman said:
It could just have a broken firing pin and that is what is hanging up the action.
The action isn't hanging up. Quite the opposite. With the hammer at full cock (firing position), the action will freely drop open unless held closed by holding onto the lever. Looks like I need to take it to a gunsmith.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.