Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Steel target Fun

822 16
Now these look like they would be a lot of fun. May have to make up some of them. Would like to have them sprimg loaded so they fall and pop back up.

speed you out there? bet your club could put some of these to good use with their rimfire sniper shoot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
34,843 Posts
Unless you are shooting 200 yards those are too big:eek: :bthumb:

Something in the 2" range would be more fun.

As ChiefDave says, "Aim small, hit small"

My little friend Jade, the 9 year old I'm teaching to shoot, is hitting golfballs at 95 yards about 8 out of 10 shots (from a rest of course). I won't even let her shoot at the bowling pins at 95 because they are just too easy. She will not progress if it is too easy.

Golf ball is 1.6" diameter I think. Those look close to a foot across. Okay for Action Pistol but WAY too big for the rifle pictured

Edit: If you are only supposed to hit the black they would be okay for 100 yards or more. Just my opinion of course:D :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually I think they'd be about right for most shooters. I'd like to have the small ones for up to 50 and the larger ones for 100 and out.

You have to remember Vince , not all of us have the skills ya got, LOL.

I do think they would be fun to set up a sniper like tactical shoot with. I especially like the swingers attached to the big ones.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
We have something similar on our pistol range, the concept is the black swinging part is the hostage taker's head, and the white figure is the hostage. You shoot for the hostage taker's head and make it swing back and forth from left to right without hitting the hostage....
Loads of fun, and the bigger ones would be great at 100 yards since you're only suppose to shoot at the small black part......;)

·
34,843 Posts
Man, Vincent! Seems like that kid's been 9 for about 2 years now!:p !:D
Actually I have only been teaching Jade since last fall and she was 8. See turned 9 about 2 months ago. We do not get to shoot as often as either of us would like as I only get down there once a week and that does not always coincide with her school or other schedules.

I'm also just starting with her cousin Jonathan. Boys are so much harder to work with. Even at 9 or 10 he let's his ego get in the way:eek: :D

·
34,843 Posts
We have something similar on our pistol range, the concept is the black swinging part is the hostage taker's head, and the white figure is the hostage. You shoot for the hostage taker's head and make it swing back and forth from left to right without hitting the hostage....
Loads of fun, and the bigger ones would be great at 100 yards since you're only suppose to shoot at the small black part......;)
That sounds good.....

I can not do the position thing anymore:( :p These bones are just not going for that. Still, a bipod prone or even a sling/prone is almost as steady as a bench. Many people claim to shoot better scores like that than from a bench.

When I could still do that stuff I liked sitting position. Not as steady but much more practical. In real life prone is very hard to use because of restricted vision from weeds or bushes or mad made stuff.

Don't get me wrong, looks like lot's of fun as long as the distance was enough to make it challenging

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Actually I have only been teaching Jade since last fall and she was 8. See turned 9 about 2 months ago. We do not get to shoot as often as either of us would like as I only get down there once a week and that does not always coincide with her school or other schedules.

I'm also just starting with her cousin Jonathan. Boys are so much harder to work with. Even at 9 or 10 he let's his ego get in the way:eek: :D
Working with kids to teach them safe shooting ...good on you.:bthumb:

·
34,843 Posts
I enjoy it immensely. I get as much out of it as they do I think. Funny thing is Jade is a bit of a "problem" at times with her parents and grandparents.

She is VERY responsible and has been zero trouble with me.

She just needs a challenge and to be given the responsibility and she has responded wonderfully. I wish I had more time with her.

As for being 9.....you would never guess that because other than shooting she looks and acts more like a 13 or 14 year old.....in all the wrong ways.

Her and her cousin both do not have the best "home life". I think they really appreciate that someone cares. It happens that I know where they are coming from so it is not hard to comminicate. Like I said, very rewarding.

Teach a kid to shoot. They are our future.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Amen Vincent , Kids are our future. Teach them to respect firearms and shot and maybe they want have to worry so much about loosing the right.

And it is very rewarding to watch them shoot and learn. Like you I get as much enjoyment out of watching Sam shoot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.