Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched high and low, and all I can find are aluminum bases.

I like the Power Custom and Millet .475 tall bases for the larger AO scopes. I want one that is STEEL. And, no I dont want to get higher rings, I don't want my scope to look like a Flamingo standing atop the receiver.

:confused:

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Leupold base is steel and is the only base that I have used on my 10/22's. As far as ring height goes the low rings are for an objectve lens of 40mm. If you have a 40 mm objective with an A/O on the objective bell then you will have to go with the medium rings.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a Burris base with Medium Signature Rings on my 10/22 and it worked out great with a Tasco 3X9X40 scope. The advantage of Signature Rings is the insert system that lets you make major adjustments to point of aim, before you have to touch the scope adjustments. Good Shooting, AL

·
Registered
735 Posts
Go with Burris

I agree about the Burris base. I have the nickel plated steel base for the Signature rings, and I love it. The base is windage adjustable and the ring inserts prevent the scope from marring, and reduce problems from allignment errors. You can even order off-set inserts to adjust for sight-in problems. To top it all, the price isn't sky high. I've had the aluminum bases and rings before and will stick with steel.

·
Registered
312 Posts
What's the issue with an aluminum scope mount? The weak link seems to me to be that you still are bolting it to an aluminum receiver with four tiny screws. As long as the mount is beefy so it won't flex or distort. Of course I would like to see a comercially available stainless receiver, for threaded barrels, with a built in scope rail.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Point taken, el solo. I have mine on a steel receiver, and I wanted as much of the rifle as possible to be steel. I suppose ring choice has alot to do with things. If you're using a Weaver type base, then aluminum would be fine.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The difference is the weight of steel versus aluminum. I like a heavy rifle, and the more steel parts the better. I'm not gonna say what this bag of steel shot is for.....:p

·
Registered
909 Posts
On the other hand, it seems to me that if you have an aluminum receiver, you would want the LIGHTEST possible scope assembly bolted to it so as to minimize stress on the screw holes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.