Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody fire standerd .22lr or higher through a sound moderator.
Want t stretch my range out to 80 to 100 yards without scareing of every thing around. Would this wear out the moderator .
Any info most welcome.

·
Registered
608 Posts
problem

If you use ammunition that goes supersonic you will get a ballistic 'crack' which defeats the purpose of the suppressor. If your moderator is plastic I would not suggest using supersonic ammo as it could blow the end off (has happened) . However most quality suppressors are Aluminium or steel with AL or steel baffles - no problem. Try using ammo in the range of 950-1020 f.p.s.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yep sorry Kev you need to stick to subsonics if you want your silencer to work at all im afraid.The high pitch crack using Hv or Hyper ammo will scare things for a while mate.
On another note I hope i aint to cold up there son,its continually raining down here,no snow of yet to talk about.

clanchief:D

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have found that there is just a slight bit of sound reduction when firing standard or faster ammo through a moderator when shooting indoors. Probably it is more of a different sound than a lesser one. With short barrels, which have a much louder report, the moderator seem to make a real difference. As the others have said, until you eliminate the sonic "Crack" your not shooting very silently.
Nothing better than shooting squirrels with moderated subsonics. You can easily hear the "Thud" impact sound when the round is well placed.

·
Registered
985 Posts
You can shoot standard velocity but if it is too cold, there still will be a crack.
If shooting in hot summer day with standard velocity, most possibly there will be no ballistic crack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.