Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea, what do you figure the accuracy difference is between the two barrels at 50 yds? is it significant? and why?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Fat ones and Skinny ones

Quite a few folks have CZ's in both Sporter and Varmint. All other things being equal, no one seems to find the fatter barrels any more accurate than the thinner ones. At least this seems to hold true for rimfires. All bets are off when you move to those barrel scorching centerfires...

Obviously, we know the harmonics must be different, but I bet this has less effect than the dimensions of the chambering and the quality of the bore & rifling.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, the reason I was wondering is I have a Savage Mark II with the standard barrel and it's shooting real good, I was wondering if the trade to the bull barrel version would be worth it in accuracy. I don't think I'll make the change, I'll just keep working with this one and see what I can do.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Keep dem good shootin Sporters

stratcat,
I'm in the same situation with my CZ 452 .17 HMR American Sporter. I thought I wanted the Varmint barrel on the American receiver, but my local store had the Sporter in stock. The forend wood touches slightly on the right and while breaking in the barrel before I did the Brookie Trigger kit I got a bit worried. It seemed like my point of impact was wandering a bit. Turns out this thing is probably my most accurate firearm.
Now that the barrel is broken in, I have no shift of point of impact for slow strings of up to 15 shots at time. I'm ready to try longer strings of faster firing next, but I can't imagine how a bull barrel could be "more accurate."
I've got enough of the .920" tubes hanging off the front of 10/22s and such that I really appreciate the different look of the svelte Sporter.
I wouldn't get rid of the skinny barrel; doesn't mean we can't add a playmate for them in the future. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is sporter barrel more ammo sensitive?

Before I made my decision to buy the Savage Mark II LV, I wonder if there is really significant accuracy improvement from the heavy barrel. Now I am very happy with the LV, it is not ammo sensiytive and shoot well with many brands. At 50 yds, the worst ammo still groups around 1" while the preferred ammo would group within dime size. I just wonder if the heavy barrel with stiffer harmonics contribute to that at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the most important thing in rimfires is to find the ammo they prefer. This takes a little range work. I have a bunch of rimfires, including three .17's. The Remington 597 has the skinniest barrel of all the .17's. It is middle in accuracy between the Marlin 17VS and the NEF Sportster (both heavy barrel), when you compare them using averages of all available ammo. But when you compare a single ammo between the 3 of them, you get a different picture. The skinny barreled Remington is the most accurate with Remington ammo. The Marlin and NEF both prefer Hornady, and the CCI ammo is good in the Marlin and Remington, but poor in the NEF. When I call a rifle and ammo combination "good", I mean that it shoots groups tighter than a quarter inch at 25 yards. Where I live, I have to do most of my non-hunting shooting in an indoor range limited to 25 yards, but the advantage is that I can shoot at night and in any kind of weather.
Another reason I stand by my initial statement is that I have a Marlin Papoose which has the shortest and skinniest barrel I have ever seen on a rifle and it is a "good" rifle when used with CCI SGB ammo. I had a Ruger 1022T, with a big, heavy barrel, but let it go, because of the weight (I am basically a squirrel hunter and lug 22's around the woods a lot) and the fact that I have other lighter rifles that out shot it, such as my 5.5 pound Marlin 7000.
A Marlin rep once told me on the phone that I could expect about 20% better accuracy with a heavy barreled 882SSV over the lighter barreled 882SS. Well, I didn't buy them both just to check him out, but I bought the SSV and I do love it, but it is not more accurate than my Remington 597M, which has a skinny barrel, although they prefer different ammo. The 882SSV loves and is a "good" rifle with CCI Maxi Mag hollow points. The 597 doesn't like those, but is a "good" rifle with Federal 50gr JHP.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I shoot at a lot of rimfire benchrest matches, and in the Sporter competitions, I see quite a few long, skinny barrels. I also see a lot of short, fat barrels. Both styles seem to shoot pretty well, but the general consensus seems to be that the long skinny barrels shoot the best. Of course, long and fat would be the best, but then you'd be over weight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey red dawg,

I have been thinking about the 597 .17. I handled one with a laminate and I thought the barrel was a little lighter than a full bull barrel. What is the accuracy of the 597 at 100 yds. I liked the way the rifle felt but want to know how accurate it is. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry Troutdog, I haven't shot it at 100 yards yet. Based on what I see on the 25 yard indoor range, I expect good things at 100 yards. Mine has the laminated stock also. I like the rifle overall and I am sure I will do some serious hunting with it, but I am not really happy with the magazine.
"Guns & Ammo" magazine has a brief article about this gun in the July 2003 issue. Nothing on the cover about it, but look on page 48. It is a 2003 nominee for gun of the year. The author of the article said he shot 5 shot groups with CCI and Hornady ammo that averaged 1.25" at 100 yards, and 5 shot groups that averaged 1.0" with Remington ammo at the same distance. The rifle in the article prefers Remington ammo as does mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.