Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

"Stainless" 10/22 Magnum ??

1186 Views 18 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  eljay
Anyone know if there is any talk of bringing out the 10/22 Magnum in stainless?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'd grab one of the very first if they did.....
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5,438 Posts
I don't think the magnum is a big enough seller for Ruger to make a stainless version. I haven't heard any talk either.

· Registered
522 Posts
You know I would love a VQ on the receiver barrel and the rest of the goodies for the 339.00 that Wally World sells the 10/22mag for when they have one LOL... I would really like the SS 10/22mag to match the LR I have now.

· Registered
16,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chief Says : CORRECT strip and beadblast = you'll have a fine looking receiver.
I can show you 2 or 3 that I have done.
They will be steal , just not stainless.
CD

· Registered
522 Posts
I have thought about bead blasting the receiver on one, just was afraid of how hard it might be to keep looking good being made from steel and all. The aluminum stuff has never giving me any trouble. I have picked up a couple scopes over the years and have taped off them where I didn't want to bead blast them and made a really neat looking scope by bead blasting those. Just have been concerned the steel might be a problem to keep the spit rust off.

· Registered
16,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want real stainless. My primary use of firearms is hunting and I want something that I don't have to worry about (too much) if I take it out in rain or snow.

Maybe Ruger will just make ALL 10/22 Mags stainless! :D

But NOT with that dead-dog, road-kill ugly all weather stock. :protest_e

· Registered
1,136 Posts
Like these. Acid dipped and not sand blasted. The acid also anodizes the metal making it rust resistant. Just wipe it down with some oil after use. Just like you would a blued receiver.

· Registered
522 Posts
OMR' those are some really serious shooters there dude, they all 22mag's or what? The middle one from the looks has a different trigger setup from the other two. So, tell us about these PLZ...The top and bottom from the looks here, look to have VQ triggers maybe???

· Premium Member
12,486 Posts
Rowdy said:
OMR' those are some really serious shooters there dude, they all 22mag's or what? The middle one from the looks has a different trigger setup from the other two. So, tell us about these PLZ...The top and bottom from the looks here, look to have VQ triggers maybe???
I'm certainly not OMR, and I don't play him on TV. That said, I believe that the middle one has an STI trigger assembly ( silver KID clone ) and the top/bottom ones have black anodized TPA triggers. OMR will correct me, if I'm mistaken...

· Registered
1,136 Posts
I do the acid dipping and polishing myself. Each of the rifles shown are 10/17 conversions and the trigger groups are Silver Volquartsen and STI units. Since the rifles have been sold, I can only guess at the weight of each of them, but they weighed approx 9 pounds complete as shown. I do have an almost identical stock here as the middle one that is for sale if anyone is interested in it.

· Registered
96 Posts
Your best bet would be to Electro-less Nickle plate, Same thing Smith& Wesson and berreta use on their hand gun sights and Frame parts. I work in metal finishing for a living, And process work for the above company's as well as the aerospace Industries. I do know one thing all that acid does is remove the Bluing. It offers no protection It does not anodize the surface! you can anodize Aluminum with sulfuric acid in + - bath using lead anodes but we are talking steel here on the magnums. I have seen Electro-less nickle kits for sale, {Brownell's} do a search< all it requires is heat. Jay

· Registered
1,136 Posts
A metallurgist told me that the acid dipping process does in fact anodize the metal surface and makes it rust resistant, not rust proof. If I'm wrong so be it.
I do know that not one of the purchasers of the 4 rifles I've built and sold have reported any problem with the receivers rusting or pitting.
1 is in Florida, 1 on the coast in California, and 1 on the East coast somewhere.
There other one is local. If you want things to match, to each his own devices.
Other than that you can nickel coat, teflon coat, powder coat or paint and cure the receiver and barrels. Also, the acid dipping does not remove any metal, like sand blasting will.

· Registered
275 Posts
POOF has it right. Steel does not get anodized. Only aluminum does. And acid will etch the surface of steel, which does not make it corrosion resistant. And the best surface treatment would be the electroless nickel, but it is not perfect, no coating is.
And my guess is that you won't see a stainless 10/22 mag from Ruger because of the loads that receiver has to take, and stainless just isn't that tough, until you get to one that's brittle.
eljay

· Registered
2,470 Posts
eljay said:
And my guess is that you won't see a stainless 10/22 mag from Ruger because of the loads that receiver has to take, and stainless just isn't that tough, until you get to one that's brittle.
eljay
The centerfire stainless rifles go 60,000 psi factory loads :eek:

Volquartsen uses stainless for the receiver if you want
If aluminum will take it, i don't see why stainless would not (I think Remington's 17 hmr semi is aluminum?)

· Registered
275 Posts
I think the centerfires are bolt action? I know it's the blowback semiauto that gives the problem. And I think that aluminum takes it in the 10/22, where the forces are a great deal lower. And I think, but do not know for sure, that Ruger is a more conservative outfit than Volquartsen.
And I have read that Remington is having some problems with their semi 17HMR/22Mag. But of course, you never know what to believe in what you read. ;-)
eljay

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.