Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

SS or coated cleaning rods??

459 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  RimfireGimp
hey folks,
bit of a dilema(sp) here. ive used 1 piece dewey coated rods in the past for the cleaning chores but know their downfalls: 1) the spring steel bends really easily 2) the coating scrapes off and grit gets embedded in the scraped off areas 3) the coating will be eaten off by powerful solvents.

SO, im considering going 1 piece SS if there arent any objections. HOWEVER, will the SS rod damage the rifleing? is it strong enough to resists bending( stronger than the standard spring steel, that is)? please fill me in on all the pluses and minuses of going SS or otherwise.

note: ***i think i'll avoid the carbon fiber rods for now because ive heard of too many ppl complaining that the brass ferrel tips break off and that the rods themselves can snap.

heres the choices that i've narrowed down to what i may buy( and they AINT cheap so this is why im getting all info b4hand):
1) Dewey 1 piece SS rods
2) Boretech 1 piece epoxy coated rods
3) Dewey nylon coated 1 piece rods ( just being very careful not to bend them and not scrape off/melt coating off if i go this route again).

any and all feedback appreciated!
muchas gracias!!!!!!!
-gimp
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,837 Posts
oh, no.. the cleaning rod question again!

I use both a dewey coated .22 rod, and a boretech coated .22 rimfire rod (fits the tight bore on my cz, the dewey doesn't). Like 'em both, use them with a boreguide. I've never bent either one, but I suppose if a guy was to sneeze while using the rod, you could tweak either one of them.

· Registered
444 Posts
hey gimp,imho if you are bending rods of any brand i `d be looking at your method,not the equipment.are you using a bore guide,are your patches too big or too thick,are you holding your trigger while pushing the rod in.putting it simply ,you don`t need as much brute force as you may be employing,check your technique.i think dewey coated is good.when do you bend rods?.what are you doing when they bend?.in the words of one of our pollies,please explain.

· Registered
105 Posts
hotdogdogau said:
hey gimp,imho if you are bending rods of any brand i `d be looking at your method,not the equipment.are you using a bore guide,are your patches too big or too thick,are you holding your trigger while pushing the rod in.putting it simply ,you don`t need as much brute force as you may be employing,check your technique.i think dewey coated is good.when do you bend rods?.what are you doing when they bend?.in the words of one of our pollies,please explain.
I bent my .17 dewey rod when trying to use a benchrest rifle brush, dewey now recomends using it's pistol brushes instead. It was too late for me and after that experience I switched to the proshot. No probs now, I can use either brush with a rod thats 2 1/2" longer. I do love my .22 coated dewey rod though.

Ryan

· Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
hotdogdogau said:
hey gimp,imho if you are bending rods of any brand i `d be looking at your method,not the equipment.are you using a bore guide,are your patches too big or too thick,are you holding you're trigger while pushing the rod in.putting it simply ,you don`t need as much brute force as you may be employing,check your technique.i think dewey coated is good.when do you bend rods?.what are you doing when they bend?.in the words of one of our pollies,please explain.
welp, the problem is w/the 17cal dewey coated rod when im trying to clean my nef sportster bore. as you know NEF sportster has a break open action so there is no tubular action for which employ a bore guide. you're kind of guiding it in "freehand" and when short stroking the bore, all it takes is a lil sideways pressure on them rods and *BOOIIINNGGG* the other HUGE problem is that the sharp chamber edge is scraping off the coating!!!!! (as mentioned in original post)

ive also bent other rods when shooting my milsurp rifles. they require rather tight fitting patches because of the dirty & corrosive ammo thats used. i spend hours on these bores each time and once you start a slightly over sized patch..........wellllll.....you cant exactly back it out! you just SHOVE her home and are usually rewarded w/a bent rod :rolleyes:

this conversation could get contorted and end up in the gutter so i'll stop for now LOL :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.